Linux-Misc Digest #642, Volume #21                Thu, 2 Sep 99 14:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  gnucash or other financial programs ("Kerry J. Cox")
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution (Tony Green)
  Re: LINUX AND COREL ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux web-server ?? (Kent Perrier)
  Re: Fonts not displayed properly in Navigator on Sun, Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: sendmail win98 (Ben Short)
  antivirus s/w NewBie please help ("A.PADMANARAYANAN")
  Re: set up c++ development environment (Johan Kullstam)
  Configuring lm_sensors on a PC with w83781d-isa-0290 on an ASUS P2B-D motherboard
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Disappearing news servers in Netscape (Christopher Fonnesbeck)
  Re: WordPerfect cut&paste (Rod Smith)
  Re: LANG and Mutt: garbled characters (Chris Butler)
  RH6 Web Server Question ("Rob")
  Re: antivirus s/w NewBie please help ("Your Name")
  Re: Mirroring under linux (Martin Beier)
  Re: SO 5.1 burps my HD (Steve Gage)
  Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: send a voice message from Unix or windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects (Peter Seebach)
  Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver. (Christopher Fonnesbeck)
  Re: Video4Linux w/ bt878 [update: sound works now] ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Kerry J. Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnucash or other financial programs
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 08:08:44 -0600

    I recently got my wife to move to Linux and she likes it very much.
However, now that she is using Linux she wants to do all her financial
stuff, i.e. Quicken on Linux.  I downloaded gnucash some time ago and
can't get it to work due to the various other programs required.  Also,
the gnucash.org site appears to be down for some time now.
    Has anyone successfully set up gnucash or installed something else
like moneydance?  If so, could anyone pass on some complete
instructions?  Anyone know why the gnucash site is down?
    I'm thinking of just putting on WINE on my wife's computer and just
letting her try to run Quicken or MS My Money that way.  Has anyone been
successful in doing this?
    Thanks in advance.
KJ

--
.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-.
| Kerry J. Cox          Vyzynz International Inc.       |

------------------------------

From: Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Subject: Re: Amiga, QNX, Linux and Revolution
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 14:39:12 +0100

One might wonder why you would be in a Linux newsgroup if that is your opinion.
While I'm sure your point is valid, in your opinion, why intice flamers??????

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: LINUX AND COREL
Date: 02 Sep 1999 10:20:09 -0400

Will be available early 2000...according to their web site www.corel.com

------------------------------

From: Kent Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux web-server ??
Date: 02 Sep 1999 09:27:29 -0500

"Sean Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I would like to create a password protected area on the server for company
> staff, wherefrom they
> can obtain information/documents/spreadsheets/downloadable files. What is
> the easiest way to do this
> & do I need to install any other software ?
>
> Please email me -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First, you should read the documentation that came with your web server.  If,
after reading said documentation, you still have questions, you should then
ask in a news groups that deals with webservers, like
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix, and not operating systems.

Kent
--
    Just don't create a file called -rf.  :-)
            --Larry Wall in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.browsers.misc,comp.infosystems.www.browsers.x
Subject: Re: Fonts not displayed properly in Navigator on Sun, Linux
Date: 2 Sep 1999 15:44:53 GMT

According to Steven Lee  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:Are there fonts I could download (particularly on Linux) that can fix
:this?  My last resort is to change my Edit->Preferences so it uses my

I'm seeing a similar, but different problem.  On some sites, I see
only the tops or sides of a frame (with no scrollbar available to see
the rest).   I ran across this on <URL: http://www.miramax.com/> this
morning.  Or I see things like 'side bar' columns whose text writes
overtop of the main column of text (almost all Ziff Davis sites).
Or I see text links which seem to have no space between the lines,
resulting in textlinks that 'stacks' on top of others like

I am using Netscape communicator 4.61 on a Ultra 5 Solaris 2.6 machine.
Is this a matter of NC 4.61 not handling a particular kind of new
font or dynamic html the same as that 'other' browser?

--
<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ben Short)
Subject: Re: sendmail win98
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 03:13:15 +1000

In article <7qm45l$2ci$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Hi,
> sendmail on my server works fine, if I try to use outlook on my win98 client
> I get an error and in my
> mail log from linux is write this:

Looks like the old spam protection sysdrome problem ;)
you need to add a RELAY entry into your /etc/mail/access file, then
makemap to database. further instructions can be found on the sendmail
website (http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti-spam.html).

Hope this helps
Ben
Ben Short                http://www.shortboy.dhs.org
Shortboy Productions     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*Remove n0spam to email me*

From: "A.PADMANARAYANAN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: antivirus s/w NewBie please help
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 19:27:01 +0530

hey friends!
i am a linux newbie just a week old :)
could anyone suggest a good antivirus s/w package for
RedHat 6?
thanks in advance
vijay

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: set up c++ development environment
Date: 02 Sep 1999 09:42:05 -0400

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i am learning c++. i want to do c++ program under linux. what packages
> (rpm) do i need? what environment variable i need to set? and how i
> compile the source code?

you will want to install gcc-2.95.1, gcc-2.95.1-c++ with accompanying
libstdc++, and libstdc++-devel (i think libstdc++ has version
2.10.0).  you'll want make and gdb too.  as for editor, i like emacs,
although there are those who prefer vi or jed.

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Configuring lm_sensors on a PC with w83781d-isa-0290 on an ASUS P2B-D
motherboard
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:47:03 GMT

I've installed lm_sensors on my beowulf nodes.
the mother boad is an ASUS P2B-D with two P2 400
I use linux 2.2.12 (with mosix patches)

all seems OK and well configured :
sensors-detect ok, aliases in conf.module, boot.local with modprobe,
mkdev.sh for the /dev/i2c-* nodes, many reboot).

the pseudo files in /proc/sys/dev/sensors/w83781d-isa-0290
show sensible informations that move realistically
alarms:4161
beep:1 0
fan1:3000 0
fan2:3000 5578
fan3:3000 5487
fan_div:2 2 2
in0:1.98 0.00 2.00
in1:1.85 2.25 1.98
in2:2.97 3.63 3.20
in3:2.68 3.26 2.96
in4:2.84 3.45 3.12
in5:3.10 3.79 3.34
in6:2.99 3.64 3.26
rt1:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
rt2:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
rt3:127 117 86 69 57 48 39 32 25 19 12 6 255 247 237 223 236 31 17 12 9
9 7 7 7 7 6 7 8 10 14 16
temp1:60.0 50.0 27.0
temp2:60.0 50.0 208.0
temp3:60.0 50.0 209.0
vid:2.05

but /usr/bin/sensors is unable to print more that one parameter,
and choke on all others...
w83781d-isa-0290
Adapter: ISA adapter
Algorithm: ISA algorithm
ERROR: Can't get alarm data!
ERROR: Can't get beep data!
VCore 1:   +2.00 V  (min =  +1.98 V, max =  +0.00 V)
ERROR: Can't get IN1 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN2 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN3 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN4 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN5 data!
ERROR: Can't get IN6 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN1 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN2 data!
ERROR: Can't get FAN3 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP1 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP2 data!
ERROR: Can't get TEMP3 data!
alarms:   Chassis intrusion detection
ERROR: Can't get BEEP data!

moreover sensors -s fail this way
w83781d-isa-0290: Can't access /proc file

modules seems well loaded:
Module                  Size  Used by
i2c-dev                 3772   0  (autoclean) (unused)
w83781d                15204   0
sensors                 7248   1  [w83781d]
smbus                   1820   0  [i2c-dev w83781d sensors]
i2c-isa                 1336   0  (unused)
i2c-proc                2860   0
i2c-core                4080   0  [i2c-dev w83781d sensors smbus i2c-
isa i2c-proc]
mosix                  40952   0  (unused)

the /etc/sensors.conf
seems perfect and is standard

chip "w83781d-*"
    label in0 "VCore 1"
    label in1 "VCore 2"
    label in2 "+3.3V"
    label in3 "+5V"
    label in4 "+12V"
    label in5 "-12V"
    label in6 "-5V"
    compute in3 ((6.8/10)+1)*@ ,  @/((6.8/10)+1)
    compute in4 ((28/10)+1)*@  ,  @/((28/10)+1)
    compute in5 -(210/60.4)*@  ,  -@/(210/60.4)
    compute in6 -(90.9/60.4)*@ ,  -@/(90.9/60.4)
    set in0_min vid*0.95
    set in0_max vid*1.05
    set in1_min vid*0.95
    set in1_max vid*1.05
    set in2_min 3.3 * 0.95
    set in2_max 3.3 * 1.05
    set in3_min 5.0 * 0.95
    set in3_max 5.0 * 1.05
    set in4_min 12 * 0.95
    set in4_max 12 * 1.05
    set in5_min -12 * 0.95
    set in5_max -12 * 1.05
    set in6_min -5 * 0.95
    set in6_max -5 * 1.05

the only thing strange is that
cat /proc/bus/i2c
returns nothing.
maybe is it because only the isa interface is configured...

I've also tried to configuer the i2c-piix4 module
(modprobe i2c-piix4)
interface (so using the i2c bus)...
this way cat /proc/bus/i2c
shows
i2c-0   smbus   SMBus PIIX4 adapter at e800             Non-I2C SMBus
adapter
which seems perfect.
moreover, with this I can
also modprobe eeprom and lm78
that are recognised.
with this
/proc/sys/dev/sensors/chips
contains
256     w83781d-i2c-0-2d
257     eeprom-i2c-0-50
258     eeprom-i2c-0-51
259     lm78-i2c-0-2d
261     w83781d-isa-0290

but sensors choke exacty the same way
on each kind of sensors access
(on the lm78, on the w87781d throug isa or i2c)

meanwhile the data from
the /proc/sys/dev/sensors/*/*
seems perfect
(for lm78 it seems les reliable, but
it shows something similar)

with all of this

any idea...

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:25:45 -0700
From: Christopher Fonnesbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disappearing news servers in Netscape

I discovered an annoying "feature" in NS 4.61 for Linux.  All news
servers which are not the default news server disappear from the list
when next you start up the application.  Anyone else find this problem??

Chris Fonnesbeck

Vancouver, BC

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: WordPerfect cut&paste
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:40:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gene Wilburn) writes:
> On 2 Sep 1999 03:04:01 GMT, Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gene Wilburn) writes:
>>>I live and die by drag & paste. I use this feature of Linux constantly and
>>>WordPerfect 8 is the only program I have encountered that did not allow me
>>>to paste. I don't have a 3-button mouse, so I always do the L+R thing.
>>
>>>So, by way of confirmation, you have no difficulty drag + paste from an
>>>xterm into WP8?
>>
>>I just tried it-- works copying from an xterm window into a WP document.
>>It does have the annoying feature that the copying is into the mouse
>>pointer position, not the cursor position.

That's probably an artifact of WP 8's "shadow cursor," which lets you
click to position text anywhere on the page, even in the middle of
"unused" whitespace (like near the right edge of an empty line, or below
the last text in the document).  Personally, I don't much care for this
feature, so I've disabled it in whitespace (it's one of the Preferences
items).

> Just re-tried it again -- and got it to work. Seems I had to do a cut and
> past in WP8 first to release whatever it had in its paste buffer first.
> After that I was able to paste in from an xterm window. Weird, but I'm
> happy it's working.

Odd.  With my system, it works when I first start WP or after I've cut or
cut-and-pasted text using WP's own clipboard.  I suspect some strange
interaction with your window manager, or perhaps even your X server.  At
least you've got it working, albeit with a peculiar workaround required.

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Butler)
Subject: Re: LANG and Mutt: garbled characters
Date: 2 Sep 1999 17:31:58 +0100

[comp.os.linux.misc - Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:18:35 GMT] * Indicatrix wrote *
> The problem exists in RedHat as well. As long as LANG is unset , all is
> well. However, that defeats the purpose of LANG.

It actually looks like a problem with the locales themselves.

If you use "LC_ALL=de_DE" instead of "LC_ALL=de", it should work.
/usr/share/locale/de doesn't contain the LC_* files, only LC_MESSAGES.

--
Chris Butler
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Rob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH6 Web Server Question
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:54:55 -0400

I'm really looking for a source of information such as a website, rather
than an answer to my post.  I would like to setup some virtial domains on a
RH6 webserver running apache.  The issue I am having is on permissions, I
want to allow a virtual domain to have an adminisrator(user) to upload his
html files, and allow the site to exec cgi, but I dont want him able to run
amuck on the rest of the system.  Simply put, I want userA to be able to ftp
in, upload his files and cgi scripts for his virtual domain, and thats it.

------------------------------

From: "Your Name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: antivirus s/w NewBie please help
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 16:11:13 +0100

You dont need one

news:7qn499$19i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Martin Beier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mirroring under linux
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 01:12:02 +0200

paul wrote:

> My apologies if this is not the correct newsgroup...
>
> I recently  set up  some scsi  drives to  do  mirroring with  the raid
> package as an oracle Server.  But then I read that I can't mirror swap
> partitions.  So this has  me thinking.. If one  of my drives  goes, my
> machine is likely to crash due to inability to swap back in processes,
> and I may lose a portion of my data due to crashing.

 Might not be the answer you expected, but I use RAID controller on that
Linux
Server running ORACLE. Any partition created are based on RAID-5 disks,
even
system and swap. This is not a cheap solution, but works fine and
(assuming the SuSE and
the recommended ICP Vortex controller) is easy to install, since the
controller is detected
and configures at startup time when your're installing Linux.

--
Ok, maddel!
=================

------------------------------

From: Steve Gage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: SO 5.1 burps my HD
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:53:52 GMT

Tony Green wrote:

> But how much free memory do you have when SO is open.  Just 'cause your not
> doing anything - there may be system activity which causes paging - on the other
> hand I may just be mad.

Here's what "free" shows:

             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:         63416      62188       1228      27812       1308
27692
-/+ buffers/cache:      33188      30228
Swap:       144544       6924     137620

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.qnx,comp.sys.amiga.misc
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:48:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Tigergutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Why to lose advantages of realtime OS, as QNX is? We Amigans are
pissed of
> > by Linux enough. It's as multimedia friendly as Win3.1 is, so judge
for
> > yourself. Linux is just big hype of last years, no technicla
revolution, so
> > who cares ...
>
> Amen ! :)

Sorry. I didn't realize I had to spell it out.

The Game Console / Set-top Box / Amiga NG / Dreamcast / PlayStation II /
Nintendo Dolphin / etc. would be running QNX Neutrino and Photon.

The development environment would be Linux / FreeBSD.

Overtime the MultiMedia Console Box could be self-hosted, networked,
etc.

Use your imagination.

--aj

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc
Subject: Re: send a voice message from Unix or windows
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 11:06:57 -0400

On 1 Sep 1999 07:54:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alain DELVAL)
wrote:

 > Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.misc,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,
 >             comp.os.ms-windows.win95.misc
 >
 > Hi every body
 >
 > I am looking for a software to send voice messages on a telephone
 > I would like to use this tool for windows 95-98-NT or
 > UNIX systems from commands files or from any software that can
 > execute externals commands

    [snip]

Just one note...

If you're planning to use this "tool" for telemarketing, I hope that you not
only never find it, but that you also just happen to fall into a pool filled
with Piranhas during your search.

Very hungry Piranhas.

Big ones.

Lots and lots of them.

(Have I made my point?)

-- Jay T. Blocksom
   ----------------------------
   Appropriate Technology, Inc.
   approtek[at]rcn.com

NOTE: E-Mail address in "From:" line is INVALID!  Use address in signature.
Unsolicited advertising sent to this E-Mail address is expressly prohibited
under USC Title 47, Section 227.  Violators are subject to charge of up to
$1,500 per incident or treble actual costs, whichever is greater.

Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: C vs C++ for Open Source projects
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Seebach)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 17:57:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gergo Barany <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>M van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Matthew Cline wrote:
>>> 2) There will always be more C programmers that C++ programmers, since
>>>
>>>    anyone who can program C++ can also program C.  Thus, making a in C++
>>>    will prevent some of the development community from working on it.

>>Sort of. C++ is a superset of C

>Wrong. Compile this absolutely correct C program as C++:

>int main(void)
>{
>       int new;
>       return 0;
>}

This is a nice cheap shot.  For a better understanding, consider that a C++
programmer will know that you should always write (if, for some insane reason,
you must use malloc() in C++)
        int *p = (int *) malloc(sizeof(int));
while any C programmer who re-read things since '90 or so will know it's
        int *p = malloc(sizeof(int));

There are a lot of subtle differences in the idiomatic and clear usage of the
languages.  People who use C++ are unlikely to appreciate the scope of utility
of function pointers in C, because they've got "better ways to do that", and
won't have bothered to pick up such an obscure and useless feature.

-s
--
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 03:22:04 -0700
From: Christopher Fonnesbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: REAL PLAYER in LINUX. Which ver.

RealPlayer 5 works just fine on Caldera, provided you apply the rpopen patch.  I
couldnt get G2 to work for the life of me.

CHris Fonnesbeck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Video4Linux w/ bt878 [update: sound works now]
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:57:42 GMT

Here's my new insmod mess.  I'm still trying to get the remote control
working using the lirc package.

insmod videodev
insmod i2c verbose=1 scan=1 i2c_debug=0
insmod tuner debug=0 type=2
insmod bttv radio=0,1 card=8 pll=1

                Nick

In article <7qle61$4bb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       I have the TV Master + FM version.  I haven't been able to get the
> sound working on it yet.  However the video works fine.  Try the below
> insmod mess :-)
>
> insmod videodev
> insmod i2c verbose=1 scan=1 i2c_debug=0
> insmod tuner debug=0 type=2
> insmod msp3400 debug=0
> insmod tda8425
> insmod tea6300
> insmod bttv radio=0 card=15
>
> In article <7pup69$gsp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Jeff Brubaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I recently got a Phoebe TV Master card for my PC - a bt878 based TV
> tuner/
> > video input device.  I have not tested the other inputs yet, but
when
> > try to tune to a station, all I get is static.
> >
> > I'm using XawTV set to NTSC and NTSC-cable.  The device works in
> Win98,
> > so it's not hardware related.
> >
> > The static is interesting -- only the first few lines of the display
> > are staticky.
> >
> > Is it possible that the tuner is not supported but the video is?
I'm