From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: make mp3 with linux
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:13:24 GMT

CDR is a great perl-based script that includes many of the utils you
need, and the script provides a nice ncurses interface for ripping CD's,
making mp3's, pretty much anything you want to do besides burning onto a
CD-R.  Maybe in future versions?

--
- The Darkener
"I'm Doug, I have greasy hair and no muscles.  You're Principal

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,redhat.x.general,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: monitor sync / startx problem
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:21:32 GMT

Same happened to me a while back.  Check your filesystem and see how full
it is.

Seems that that was one of the ONLY times Linux failed without me screwing
it up myself. =) And in a way, I did do it myself. =)  It's very
refreshing to find out that it's something YOU did and not the fault of
the operating system, especially if it's a problem with the operating
system that is 'closed' and cannot be fixed without re-installation. Makes
troubleshoting SOOOOO much easier!! >COUGHmsCOUGH< =p~~

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitoring the memory usage
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 15:33:38 -0400

Ulf wrote:

> What tools are available to monitor
> - memory usage ("this process uses up x MB of RAM")
> - CPU usage
> - network interface activity (10% of bandwidth)
> - system bus activity
> etc.?
>
> How can I detect memory leakage?
>
> How do I use the "memory" function of tcl to query memory usage?
>
> Thanks,
> --Ulf
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

xosview shows memory useage of the entire system, but does not do
it on a per-process basis.

top shows it. If you sort by memory useage, the biggest memory hogs
are on top. If you sort by cpu useage, the biggest cpu hogs are on
top. Here is the top of mine both ways:

 3:25pm  up 23 days, 22:54,  3 users,  load average: 2.59, 2.70,
2.64
CPU states: 25.7% user, 23.0% system, 36.2% nice, 15.0% idle
Mem:  516924K av, 505028K used,  11896K free, 230072K shrd,  87332K
buff
Swap: 273088K av,   8652K used, 264436K free                310220K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM
CTIME COMMAND
28087 seti      19  19    361 14364  14M   752 R N  38.0  2.7
24:36 /home/seti
26323 db2inst1   1   0  28259 23668  23M 21840 R    20.7  4.5
17:01 db2agent (
24339 jdbeyer    0   0    390  1208 1208  1000 S     5.7  0.2
10:49 xosview
24267 root       0   0   1255 30816  30M  1696 S     5.5  5.9
45:35 /etc/X11/X
28018 jdbeyer    0   0    937  3760 3760  2208 S     3.2  0.7
2:20 /home/jdbe
24366 jdbeyer    5   5    733  3116 3116  2444 S N   2.7  0.6
10:57 cpumemusag
28019 db2inst1   0   0     16 11132  10M 10984 R     2.5  2.1
1:30 db2loggr
  599 root       0   0    893   868  640   484 S     1.7  0.1
401:54 ./_upsd
24345 jdbeyer    1   0    370  1100 1100   872 R     1.7  0.2
2:45 /usr/bin/t
28024 db2inst1   0   0     19 15272  14M 15072 D     1.7  2.9
0:32 db2pclnr

  3:27pm  up 23 days, 22:56,  3 users,  load average: 3.07, 2.77,
2.66
CPU states: 20.5% user, 18.6% system, 40.7% nice, 20.0% idle
Mem:  516924K av, 506880K used,  10044K free, 230128K shrd,  88556K
buff
Swap: 273088K av,   8652K used, 264436K free                310724K
cached

  PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM
CTIME COMMAND
24267 root       1   0   1255 30816  30M  1696 S     4.4  5.9
45:42 /etc/X11/X
26323 db2inst1   2   0  28385 23668  23M 21840 R    17.2  4.5
17:23 db2agent (
28533 jdbeyer    0   0   3660 23496  22M 10152 S     0.0  4.5
0:47 /opt/netsc
28024 db2inst1   0   0     19 15272  14M 15072 S     0.9  2.9
0:33 db2pclnr
28021 db2inst1   1   0     40 14436  14M 14268 R     0.5  2.7
0:25 db2pfchr
28087 seti      19  19    362 14364  14M   752 R N  41.5  2.7
25:20 /home/seti
24217 db2inst1   0   0     24 12968  12M 12800 S     0.0  2.5
0:00 db2tcpcm
28023 db2inst1   0   0     23 11316  11M 11148 S     0.0  2.1
0:04 db2pfchr
28022 db2inst1   0   0     23 11312  11M 11144 S     0.0  2.1
0:08 db2pfchr
24216 db2inst1   0   0     67 11164  10M 10992 S     0.0  2.1
0:00 db2ipccm

I normally let it run in a spare window and automatically refresh
itself every 5 seconds.

I would watch the RSS or SIZE column. If a process slowly grows in
size beyond reasonable expectations, you can infer it is leaking
memory. But you should get it all back when it exits (unlike
another operating system where the OS loses track of it and you
must reboot to get it back).

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer-valinux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba problems
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 15:39:09 -0400

Henry Luk wrote:

> I got a Linux server with a samba server connecting with two other client
> machines, one is win98 and another is win2000.  From the two windows
> machines, I can see the printer (HP LaserJet 5L) which is connected to the
> server.  However, I couldn't print any files from the two client machines.
> Here is the contents of my smb.conf file:
>
> [global]
>         workgroup = OEMWORKGROUP
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         min print space = 2000
>         print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
>
> [test]
>         comment = For testing only, please
>         path = /export/samba/test
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = Yes
>
> [printers]
>         path = /usr/spool/public
>         guest account = pcguest
>         guest ok = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>
> [queen]
>         path = /usr/spool/public
>         read only = No
>         guest ok = Yes
>         print ok = Yes
>         printer name = queen
>         oplocks = No
>         share modes = No
>
> Any help is appreciated!
>
> HL

I am not expert enough to solve your problems, but I knew enough to get my
W95 machine to print and share files with this machine. My /etc/smb.conf file
looks like this:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2000/07/02 17:35:23

# Global parameters
[global]
 server string = Samba Server %v on %L (%h)
 interfaces = 192.168.250.1/24
 log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
 max log size = 50
 domain logons = Yes
 dns proxy = No
 wins support = Yes
 hosts allow = 192.168.250.  127.

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 read only = No
 browseable = No

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 print ok = Yes
 browseable = No

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  3:30pm up 23 days, 22:59, 3 users, load average: 2.96, 2.79, 2.67

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Root password
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kahari)
Date: 1 Sep 2000 21:46:51 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Leonard Evens  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Micromans wrote:
>>
>> I have a Redhat 6.0 Linux system on a training machine that also has W98,
>> NTWS 4.0, and NT Server 4.0. The Redhat boots from floppy. All others boot
>> with NT boot loader. I have lost the Linux root password. How can I get it
>> back? I have complete access to the machine since it is in my home office. I
>> could rebuild the Linux but would rather just get the password back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Micromans
>
>If you are booting from a floppy made with mkbootdisk (which is
>what makes it during installation), you should get a Lilo: prompt.
>Enter
>linux single
>at the prompt.  There is a good chance this will let you boot
>single user without having to enter a password.
>
>Someone else suggested a somewhat more complicated method, which
>included included mounting /usr and running passwd.  Since
>the passwd and shadow files are in /etc, I don't see how that
>would work.

Many keep '/usr' on a separate partition (i.e. not on the boot
partition). The 'passwd' command usually lives within '/usr/bin'. You
can't run 'passwd' without mounting '/usr/bin'.

/A

--
Andreas Kähäri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
All junk e-mail will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

------------------------------

From: Erik Max Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: for in list     in bash
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:42:13 -0700

Barry Margolin wrote:

> Didn't I say all that later in my message?  I was just addressing the
> actual mistakes in the above paragraph, not the redundancies.

Except that your eventual solution was to send those globs to ls, which
is totally redundant; the globs themselves are already sorted, so
sending them to ls is unnecessary.

--
 Erik Max Francis / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ Sometimes there's no point in giving up.

------------------------------

From: Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 19:53:20 GMT

rty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just want  find a good mp3 maker on linux as L3ENC.
>     could you show me one ? Thank so much

I find the combination ripit+cdparanoia+lame to work the best so far.
ripit is a perl script to control the other two and is easy to configure,
cdparanoia for grabbing data into wav and lame to encode. it even produces
this m3u? file which i know not its purpose. to use lame you need newest
version of ripit. ripit uses xmcd (at least cda) to fetch disc info from
CDDB databases or your local database, so it is fully automated. just type
"ripit.pl" and wait.....
C.

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat rescue and init level
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:53:17 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mpulliam) wrote:
>On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 21:11:36 GMT,
>Amir Sadri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>>Does anybody know how to pass the init
>level to the rescue process?
>
>in emergencies my RH docs advise
>entering "single" or "linux single" at
>the prompt (I think you have just
>five seconds (default) so type fast)

Or press the Tab key as soon as you see the LILO prompt, and you've got all the
time in the world.

--
Garry Knight

Subject: Script Kiddies?
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:00:03 GMT

Someone said:
' It'll take script kiddies ages to to sort that out.

What are script kiddies?  Are these people who write complex shell,
Perl, Tcl, Python, etc programs and scripts, or are these people who
are stuck in BASIC?  Or are these people who simply do not know C?

I want to know!

--
David Steuber | "Are you now, or have you ever been, a member
NRA Member    | of the NRA?" --- HUAC, 2004

Happiness is a SAAB Gripen <http://www.gripen.saab.se/> in the
garage, an FN-FAL in the safe, and an HK P7M8 on the hip.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: what's up with Sun?
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:00:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin) writes:

' One important difference between Sun and M$ is that Sun make hardware.
' They have less to lose in a world where software if Free.

But they have a lot to loose where hardware becomes a commodity.
However, I think Sun, SGI, et al, can beat Intel for bang for the buck
if they continue to make servers that can beat large clusters of IA32
machines in terms of raw performance.

Also, not all servers are doling out web pages.

AMD and Intel are heading upmarket, and they have a lot of money and a
huge legacy hardware base to get them there.

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:00:04 GMT

"rty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

' I just want  find a good mp3 maker on linux as L3ENC.

I kinda like LAME myself.

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:09:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Max Francis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> Didn't I say all that later in my message?  I was just addressing the
>> actual mistakes in the above paragraph, not the redundancies.
>
>Except that your eventual solution was to send those globs to ls, which
>is totally redundant; the globs themselves are already sorted, so
>sending them to ls is unnecessary.

Not if you have multiple globs, as I said in my later part that you edited
out.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Genuity, Burlington, MA

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: hda: lost interrupt
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:11:52 GMT

On 1 Sep 2000 12:01:30 GMT, Michal Szymanski wrote:
>I have RH6.2 installed on a laptop equipped with TOSHIBA MK6015MAP, ATA
>DISK drive. Kernel upgraded to 2.2.16-3. From time to time I get
>following kernel messages:
>
>Aug 31 13:00:05 gplap kernel: hda: lost interrupt

This may seem like a strange question; but how is your CPU cooling? A friend
of mine had this problem and it was discovered that his CPU fan wasn't
spinning properly (well, it wasn't spinning at all). After the lost interrupt
message his system would slowly start to kill itself from inside out. Init
would die and re-start, etc..

Just one possibility.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://tinys.cx/blackdeath
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Slow system, RAM memory requirements ?
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:29:00 GMT

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Slow system, RAM memory requirements ?

Yes.

>I have Cyrix 686 PR200 with 16 MB SDRAM and 1.4 GB hard drive.
>I recently installed RedHat Linux 6.2 with GNOME; 64 MB swap partition.

Forget it. 16MB is plenty for a firewall with graphical interface,
but way to low for XFree86 .

>It's extremely slow!

Indeed.

>I read that the minimum requirement is 4 MB RAM, so 16 MB RAM should be
>more than sufficient.

4MB is the minimum for the kernel (you could do it with even
less than that). This does not include a GUI, though.

>Then why is the system so slow?

[...]

Do not try to use XFree86 with less than 32 MB. It will be swapping
like hell.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vincent Fox)
Subject: Re: Script Kiddies?
Date: 1 Sep 2000 20:17:39 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>Someone said:
>' It'll take script kiddies ages to to sort that out.

>What are script kiddies?  Are these people who write complex shell,
>Perl, Tcl, Python, etc programs and scripts, or are these people who
>are stuck in BASIC?  Or are these people who simply do not know C?

Uh no.

Someone who is really good at discovering ways to break into
systems would be called a cracker. Now when one of the smarter
guys posts his "script" for breaking into a system to a cracker
website, then thousands of "script kiddies" will use it. They are
called that because they are usually younger, and generally not
savvy enough to do anything other than follow the script.
I've found systems that were successfully broken into, but then
the account's .sh_history showed commands like "dir", etc.
They are usually not versed enough on UNIX to know to delete
their history files, how to wipe logs, etc. They are just bright
enough to have read the websites for exploits and tools, and to
launch attacks on a lot of machines until they break into a few.
Script kiddies outnumber the real hackers by quite a lot. They are the
annoying mosquito-like ones who plague my life. A real cracker won't rm
an entire system for fun, and won't launch Denial of Service
attacks on their IRC buddies. A real cracker will probably pass
through completely undetected, and doing no real harm which might
get them noticed.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:16:07 GMT

This did it - thanks!!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Pine has no BCC option?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 20:26:04 GMT

Pine has no BCC option? Or is it somewhere in the setup that I can't
find. If that is it, where is it?

From: Joseph Cooley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: network connection speed command
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 12:58:39 -0400

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good command to find the speed at
which a linux box is connected to the network. (i.e. 10 Mb/s or 100
Mb/s, etc.)

Thanks in advance,
Joe

--