From: "mpierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE2.0.1 and Red Hat 7.0
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:21:37 GMT

1. This problem with RH is probably caused by the fact that KDE is using
Gnome icons and KDE icons. You can find the icon which will probably be in
the /usr/share/icons/... folders.

KDE under RH tends to use hicolor folder (if you have that option selected
in KControl panel) subfolder 32x32 (4 subfolders underneath each size
folder, ie 32x32, 16x16, etc). Cp to your /home directory and edit with
Gimp to 16x16, rename it foo_16x16.png and put it back into the folder and
use it.

2) PPP problem is probably caused because KPPP is linked to a file called
help console for whatever dumb reason. Go to /usr/bin/ and locate file. If
linked to help console - delete it. Do chmod +s /usr/sbin/kppp; ln -sf
/usr/sbin/kppp /usr/bin/kppp That should do it for you.
Marvin

------------------------------

From: Jerry Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Semi-newbie partition question
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:21:12 -0600

Lew Pitcher wrote:

> Todd Rich wrote:
> >
> > Btw, thanks for not answering.  I'll be installing it tomorrow morning.
>
> You seem a bit perturbed about my not having answered your questions, so
> I'll (belatedly) answer them for you and perhaps you won't be so put
> off.
>
> > Todd Rich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > : Ok, I am starting to make the jump over to Linux.  I got SuSE 7.0
> > : Professional, and a new hard drive to install it on.  I'll be manualy
> > : switching to it to work on it and leaving my current hd unplugged
> > : until
> > : I'm sure I've got things right.  I've got System Commander 2000 and
> > : Win95OSR2 installed on it, then moved the fat32 partition to the 7gb
> > : mark  on my hd.  The hd is 30 gigs, so the first 7 gigs are
unpartitioned,
> > : the
> > : next 13 gigs are fat32, and the rest is unpartitioned.  Now, on to the
> > : questions.
> >
> > : 1, Will YaST partition all the unpartitioned areas correctly, or will
> > : I > > : need to use SC 2K to do it first?  I plan on having a 128meg
swap partition.

Either the old YaST or the graphical YaST will work fine without SC2K.
If you want to increase your system speed then put your swap on another
HD and make it equal to about twice your RAM.  If you can.
BTW, FDISK (Linux not DOS) works great to set up partitions and file system
types.

> I have no idea. I don't use YAST.
> BTW, what's "SC 2K"?
>
> > : 2, I plan on using SC 2K as the boot manager, any tips I should pay
> > : attention to here?

Why not use LILO.  It works great!!  If you use YaST it will take you
through the whole process right up to the reboot.  You can always
edit /etc/lilo.conf and add your Win boot section.

> None that I can think of.
> BTW, what's "SC 2K"?
>
> > : 3, I left the start of the fat32 partition under the 8gig limit so it
> > : would be bootable and it is.  Is this really necessary if I use SC 2K?
>
> I have no idea. What's "SC 2K"?

Don't know about SC2K but older versions of LILO need to be under
the 1024th track, ie,  /boot does.  Newer versions don't.

> > : I'll be eventually moving this hard drive into a new system I'm
> > : building,
> > : and adding a second hd that will be mostly for Linux.  Any precautions
> > : on switching it over?

Don't spark them!  Ground yourself to the chassis with a grounding wire
before you open the antistatic bags holding the HD, or before you
remove or swap the HDs.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bryan Hoyt)
Subject: Re: lynx and https problem
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 00:18:02 GMT

Who ever said Hartmann Schaffer couldn't write what follows?:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Esteban Flocco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 01:20:42 GMT, Tom Hoffmann wrote:
>>>I have RH7 w/ lynx 2.8.4. When i try to access a secure login page, I
>>>get the message "This client does not contain support for https URLs".
>>>I looked at the lynx man page and at the lynx user guide. The only
>>>thing I found was the -validate option, but I can not get it to make a
>>>difference.
>>>

>>I have read that lynx doesn't support https by default because of US
>>Export Laws. However, there are patches to allow lynx to use it. Take a
>>look at http://www.crl.com/~subdir/lynx.html I think there you can find
>>them.
>
>debian has a https supporting lynx in there nonUS section
>
>hs

You don't want debian, though, if you run RH7. I got my lynx-ssl from
rpmfind. Goto:

http://rpmfind.net

and type "lynx-ssl" into the search area. You will get all the rpm's you
want. Download the one which suits you (i.e. the one that says something
like "RedHat 7.0" beside it) and install it with:

rpm -Uhv <package-you-downloaded>

Type "lynx," and you're away.

--

Bryan Hoyt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

===================================

        It took 300 years to build and by the time it was 10% built,
everyone knew it would be a total disaster. But by then the investment
was so big they felt compelled to go on. Since its completion, it has
cost a fortune to maintain and is still in danger of collapsing.
        There are at present no plans to replace it, since it was never
really needed in the first place.
        I expect every installation has its own pet software which is
analogous to the above.
                -- K.E. Iverson, on the Leaning Tower of Pisa

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Bartek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Dec 2000 15:01:46 +0800
Subject: Re: how to detect when a CDROM is loaded?

> well, the idea is that I want hands-free operation.  I put in a CD, a script
> runs automatically (i.e. I don't have to manually do anything) and does its
> thing and when it's done it ejects the CD.

My CD-ROM automounts any CD I put in it.  No manual unmounts/mounts.
This was the Mandrake 7.0 default installation.

--
Patrick Bartek
NoLife Polymath Group

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: for(;;) fork();
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:00:44 GMT

> It would be helpful to know what you meant when you said "can't
handle" in
> your original post. It can mean a kernel crash, unability to carry any
> other user process due to resource starvation, etc.

I have to wait for about a minute for the mouse to move. Can't type at
all. None of the "special keys work". Reboot via pressing the button.

Wroot

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: reboot when idle ?? ooooohhhhh no!!
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:25:53 GMT

steveFarris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all, i've got suse 7.0 installed on an AMD K6 chip and if i stay
> logged in and remain idle the thing reboots on its own. Obviously this will

I'd look into hardware problems.

I'd look into an overheating CPU first, then loose/bad cables, then a
bad power supply, then flaky memory, then a bad motherboard.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: CD recorder detection problem... please help
Date: 27 Dec 2000 01:51:45 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>i have a new Traxdata 8x4x32 (IDE) burner but i don't know wich options to
>slect in the kernel so it can appear as SCSI device. Can you give me some
>tips?

>cdrecord -scanbus doesn't detect me CDRW.

As root
modprobe ide-scsi
modprobe sg
Then in lilo.conf, under the linux entry
append="hdc=ide-scsi"
where hdc is the drive number of your cdrom drive. (hdc=master on second
ide,)
run lilo and reboot.
f this all works, put
modprobe ide-scsi
at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Only with Linux...
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:12:46 GMT

> On 26 Dec 2000 05:06:20 GMT, kristian ragndahl
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >    Try "find / -name emacs* -print"
>
>     You ment emacs\*, right?  emacs* would be globbed out in the
directory he
> was running it in and yield him with nothing there.  Well, assuming he
didn't
> have a file in that directory that matched emacs*.

You know, this is very strange, but doing just filename* works. Somebody
explain it to me please.

Wroot

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:32:42 -0800

MH wrote:

> Installed EMACS from RPM.  Cannot find a way to start the program.  Spent
> half an hour looking through README, MAN, INFO...ridiculous.

OK.  Thanks for the responses.  Someone finally emailed me noting that the
following RPM was a "library" and not the Emacs program itself:

emacs-20.7-14

Last time I take "standard" naming conventions for granted.  I've got one
version installed now (apparently the one NOT used with X), but it is
*discouraging* to find the first "help" menu listing the "exit Emacs"
key-combo *incorrectly* as "Ctr-x or Ctr-c", neither of which work.
"Ctr-z", which is NOT listed does, however (found via trial and error).

Anyway, I'll run the tutorial and see what it's all about before I decide
whether to dump it or not.

------------------------------

From: Anna Luigi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: logging out of KDE w/ Netscape causes linux to hang
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:14:27 -0600

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Anna Luigi wrote:
>
> > Hi:
> >
> > I'm running Suse6.4 on one machine, and RH6.2 on another.
> > For both installations I find that, with KDE running and
> > netscape running, going to shutdown the system causes a
> > complete hang of the system.  I'm wondering:
> >

> Nope, just this crashicator-NS thing is hanging X, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to
> switch to another console & login

Thanks very much, that worked and is what I was looking for.

> ps aux | grep netscape
> kill -9 <Netscapes PID>
>
> Dont forget to
>
> rm ~/.netscape/lock
>
> or do it from another machine via ssh...
>
> Yeah, NS is a piece of crap/bloatware but you have to live with it,
> install a new version of NS, forget about 6, didn't worked
> for me, maybe you have to have a 1 Ghz CPU to use it....:-(

I wish there were a viable alternative to Netscape.  It causes problems
for me all of the time!

------------------------------

From: Anna Luigi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:18:07 -0600

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Michael Heiming wrote:
> >
> > Anna Luigi wrote:
> >
> > > Hi:
> > >
> > > I'm running Suse6.4 on one machine, and RH6.2 on another.
> > > For both installations I find that, with KDE running and
> > > netscape running, going to shutdown the system causes a
> > > complete hang of the system.  I'm wondering:
> > >

> > Nope, just this crashicator-NS thing is hanging X, press CTRL-ALT-F1 to
> > switch to another console & login
> >
> > ps aux | grep netscape
> > kill -9 <Netscapes PID>
> >
> > Dont forget to
> >
> > rm ~/.netscape/lock
> >
> > or do it from another machine via ssh...
>
> Since I run GNOME/Enlightenment instead of KDE my situation is not
> identical to yours. But the same problems exist even when you are not
> shutting down the system; that may be a red herring. When Netscape
> crashes, the symptoms can be:
>
> 1.) The program just exits, and has already removed ~/.netscape.lock.
> 2.) The program just freezes and you cannot get it off by clicking the
> little x at the top right of the window(s). If you right-click the
> little x, the windows vanish, but the program is gobbling up an awful
> lot of CPU time. You must kill it with a -9, and remove the lock file.
> 3.) Same as 2, but the mouse is not tracked, so you can do none of that,
> nor can you get into an existing xterm to kill anything. In this case,
> pressing Control-Alt-F[1-6], logging in as whoever started Netscape, and
> killing it with a -9 will be the way to go, if you can do it. Sometimes
> you cannot.
> 4.) Same as 3, but the Control-Alt-F[1-6] sequence gets no response. In
> this case, Control-Alt-Backspace will sometimes get you out of X and you
> can login again and fix things up.
> 5.) Same as 4, but Control-Alt-Backspace does not work either. If you
> have the luxury of being on a network, you can ssh into your machine and
> fix things sometimes, but
> 6.) When none of these work, you can assume you machine has crashed and
> you must hit the panic button. This has happened to me only about twice
> since May 1998.

Now that I know these techniques (which of course I printed out and saved)
I am counting from this day forward.  Thanks very much.

> > Yeah, NS is a piece of crap/bloatware but you have to live with it,
> > install a new version of NS, forget about 6, didn't worked
> > for me, maybe you have to have a 1 Ghz CPU to use it....:-(
>
> Well, I sort-of have a 1.1GHz CPU (2 550MHz CPUs running SMP), and I
> think Netscape 6.0 still stinks. It is fast enough, but that is about
> all. Crashes much more than Netscape 4.7 series up to and including
> 4.76, features missing, confusing human interface reminding me of AOL,
> etc. (The version of 6.0 I got direct from Netscape as an RPM, perhaps a
> month ago, I no longer remember.)

Thanks for the tip, I will stay away from that one.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:43:57 GMT

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 12:55:37 +0000, José Luis Domingo López
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Usenet?  Why?

>> To all those bragging about their uptime in their sigs:
>>
>> Try compiling and running the following program as non-privileged users:

>> #include <unistd.h>
>> int main() { for(;;) fork(); return 0; }

>> At least the standard redhat kernel configuration/compilation can't
>> handle this.

Do "ulimit -u 64", then try running your program.  You might also want
to look at /usr/doc/pam-??/README.pam_limits and the bash man page
(search for "ulimit").

Basically, the default install doesn't set any per-user resource limits.
You can set them yourself through various means (pam, login scripts) if
you think they are needed for your situation.  This is not a kernel
configuration issue.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: which file controls rsh authentication?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 06:44:04 -0500

Hi,

  I have a linux (rh6.2) box  A and a sun solaris box B. I can do "rsh B
command" from A after i put A in B's .rhosts.  but when I do the same
from
the solaris box B, I got permision denied. so which file controls the
authentication for linux?

  thanks

  Lupei

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: question_on_Linux_and_XWindows
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:54:51 GMT

C source code:yes
Solaris Binary: no

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:55:09 -0000

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 02:12:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You know, this is very strange, but doing just filename* works. Somebody
>explain it to me please.

    What shell are you using?  All the shells that I am aware of would do
globbing and pass the resulting list to the program in question.

    Odd, just found out bash doesn't do the globbing.  How bad of it.

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 03:02:53 GMT

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 18:32:42 -0800, MH wrote:
>MH wrote:
>
>> Installed EMACS from RPM.  Cannot find a way to start the program.  Spent
>> half an hour looking through README, MAN, INFO...ridiculous.
>>

>OK.  Thanks for the responses.  Someone finally emailed me noting that the
>following RPM was a "library" and not the Emacs program itself:
>
>emacs-20.7-14
>
>Last time I take "standard" naming conventions for granted.  I've got one
>version installed now (apparently the one NOT used with X), but it is
>*discouraging* to find the first "help" menu listing the "exit Emacs"
>key-combo *incorrectly* as "Ctr-x or Ctr-c", neither of which work.
>"Ctr-z", which is NOT listed does, however (found via trial and error).

Yikes are you in trouble! Ctrl-x Ctrl-c (type one key in after the
other, that's a 2 key sequence) is the sequence to exit emacs. Ctrl-z
is the standard key to put a process in the background not to exit.
Please don't take this as a put down, you just didn't know and have to
start learning somewhere. Emacs is probably one of the most powerful
and complex editors (should I call it an editor?). Every key can be
reprogrammed (which can make for some real fun! >:-}).

If you're looking for a simple editor emacs is not a good place to
start. If you're looking for power, it's got it! I would also
recommend learning vi (or one of it's look alikes). Vi is great in a
pinch such as over dirty dialups.

BTW: I've been using emacs since 1980 so I've grown used to it.

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)