Linux-Misc Digest #306, Volume #24               Fri, 28 Apr 00 21:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: VPN server for linux (Matt Friedman)
  Re: windows on linux? (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: SuSE 6.0 - 6.4 upgrade and kernel hassels (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: VPN server for linux (Alex)
  Re: cdrtools-1.8.1 released (Mark Miller)
  Re: How can I tell Linux-Intel from Linux-Alpha (nathan wagner)
  Re: From GNOME to KDE in RedHat 6.2 (Bit Twister)
  Re: VPN server for linux (Tom Eastep)
  Re: cdrtools-1.8.1 released (Joerg Schilling)
  StarOffice installed as root ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: arp error (Robie Basak)
  Kppp and modem busy message ("Terence J. Golightly")
  Re: How the blank do I use .dif (.diff) files?
  Re: HOT HD (David C.)
  Re: How Big Will X Grow Today? (Robie Basak)
  Re: StarOffice installed as root (Mike Pepera)
  Strange kernel problems (Stewart Honsberger)
  Re: Kppp and modem busy message ("Terence J. Golightly")
  Cron not working ("Rask0")
  Re: How the blank do I use .dif (.diff) files?

From: Matt Friedman <"mwf"@total.net(remove-to-reply)>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VPN server for linux
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:16:30 -0400

"H.T. Sun" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Does anyone know of any VPN (Virtual Private Network) server
>  applications for Linux ? Any info. will be very helpful.

Off the top of my head, there's Netmaster's Gateway Guardian VPN
Edition. They're at http://www.netmaster.com/.

MF

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: windows on linux?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:24:45 GMT

On 28 Apr 2000 00:26:20 EDT, Dances With Crows wrote:
>>Has anyone developed a PC emu yet, so that Windows can be run from within
>>Linux?
>
>Er, you probably mean "Windows Emulator" unless you're on a {Sparc,
>PowerPC, MIPS, S/390} machine.  But try--

Nope. VMWare is a PC Emulator. BIOS and everything.

>To use VMWare effectively, you must have the Other OS installed on a local
>hard drive,

Nope. I created a virtual disk of 500M and installed Win'98SE within it. I
do have a 500M FAT partition, but it's currently empty, and my VMWare Win'98
doesn't even know about it.

>and you should have a processor > 400MHz and 128M or more RAM for decent
>performance.  Lots of folks swear by it.

This I won't argue, but I find that it WORKS on a P233 with 64M of RAM. It also
works rather nicely on a PII-400 with 64M of RAM.

After my 233/64 system, everything else I can give it only makes it work
*BETTER*.

--
Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath) @ http://sprk.com/blackdeath/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Remove 'thirteen' to reply privately)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.0 - 6.4 upgrade and kernel hassels
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:28:20 GMT

On 27 Apr 2000 22:45:01 EDT, Dances With Crows wrote:
[..Re: Error WRT modules.dep and conf.modules..]

>SuSEConfig is overkill.

I figured as much. About the only thing it runs WRT modules would be ldconfig,
correct?

The only reason I've run it so often is due to other system configuration for
which it had to be run anyways.

># cd /usr/src/linux && make modules
># mv /lib/modules/2.2.14 /lib/modules/2.2.14.old
># make modules_install
># depmod -a
>
>...shuffles all old modules away, installs only those modules you've
>compiled (removing "unresolved symbol" errors), rebuilds modules.dep.
>Should work.  HTH,

I did that, and wow! My old /lib/modules/2.2.14 directory was 14M and change,
while the new one is only ~868k. Loads of space saved!

If nothing else, atleast I'll have that. :>

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:44:59 -0700

"H.T. Sun" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  Does anyone know of any VPN (Virtual Private Network) server
>  applications for Linux ? Any info. will be very helpful.
>
>  Thanks a million

There's a joint project between ATT and Cambridge University in
the UK on VPN, and an application has been released.

Don't have the url on hand. But it's on a cambridge.ac.uk site.

Do a search on that.

Alex

--
- Why use OpenSource/GNU software? Because cockcroaches
  breed in the dark. Crackers thrive on code secrecy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Miller)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.solaris,comp.sys.sun.misc,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.publish.cdrom.software,de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner,de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc
Subject: Re: cdrtools-1.8.1 released
Date: 28 Apr 2000 22:42:24 GMT

In article <8e9pkn$hhh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please switch to the mkisofs version from this packet, it includes significant
>improvements and bug-fixes compared to all prior versions.

[ snip ]

>Crtools compiles on:

[ snip again ]

>NeXt Step:              mc68xxx x86 and hppa
>Apple Rhapsody:         ppc, x86
>Apple MacOS X:          ppc

As far as I can tell, neither the NEXTSTEP nor the Mac OS X Server
(Apple Rhapsody) ports will compile successfully.

Would you like to explain how you did it?

Mark Miller         | "The things that pass for knowledge I just
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |   can't understand." - Steely Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (nathan wagner)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: How can I tell Linux-Intel from Linux-Alpha
Date: 28 Apr 2000 22:14:07 GMT

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:13:21 GMT,
U.V. Ravindra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thanks for the note, but `uname -m` on Intel returns "i?86" (?=4/5/6 etc)
>on Compaq-Alpha returns "alpha", which still means I have to *know* that
>'Alpha' is a 64-bit processor and the i?86-s are 32-bit chips.  I could
>easily hardcode this in my script with a case-esac, but that may fall
>apart when the ia64 comes out! :)

sizeof(void *) * CHAR_BIT
?

it seems to work on my i686 box, but i don't have a 64 bit machine to test
it on.

--
Chance is irrelevant.  We will succeed.  -- Seven of Nine

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: From GNOME to KDE in RedHat 6.2
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:08:59 GMT

Bring up a console window and enter     switchdesk
works kde/gnome

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read the message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Eastep)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:51:57 -0700

H.T. Sun wrote:
>Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of any VPN (Virtual Private Network) server
> applications for Linux ? Any info. will be very helpful.

http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/pptp.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~freeswan
ftp://ftp.eunet.cz/icz/ipnsec/
http://www.opensec.net/tunnel.html

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joerg Schilling)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 28 Apr 2000 23:17:05 GMT

In article <8ed44g$c1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Crtools compiles on:
>>

>[ snip again ]
>
>>NeXt Step:              mc68xxx x86 and hppa
>>Apple Rhapsody:         ppc, x86
>>Apple MacOS X:          ppc
>
>As far as I can tell, neither the NEXTSTEP nor the Mac OS X Server
>(Apple Rhapsody) ports will compile successfully.
>
>Would you like to explain how you did it?

Both have a buggy GNUmake binary. First try to compile smake.

I did not compile on NextSTep for about 6 months so there may be
minor problems, I _did_ compile on MacOS X some weeks ago.

As I don't like to see the warnings from bugs in GNU make I always use
smake to compile....

The bad thing for y2000 MacOS X is that Apple removed the SCSI generic
driver so you may only use mkisofs/mkhybrid until someone helps
me to implement a native mach SCSI generic interface.

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]            (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: StarOffice installed as root
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:07:23 GMT

Because I have a Linux box that is shared between a number of people
(shift environment) I installed StarOffice as root, rather than a given
user. As root StarOffice works great but I would like to give the users
the ability to use SO. Only one user uses this system at a time so I'm
not asking for SO to be concurrent multi-user.

Any Ideas???

thanks

matt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: arp error
Date: 28 Apr 2000 23:26:04 GMT

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:39:01 -0700, lyn hines said:
>Hello all,
>                I am trying to connect my RedHat linux to a Win98 box which
>I have done successfully before.  Unfortunately,  when using tcpdump
>I retrieve the "error"   "arp  who-has (machine name) tell 169.254.253.195"

This isn't an error; 169.254.253.195 is just asking for the MAC address
of (machine name).

>   I get the feeling the windows box isn't broadcasting its address?

Was there a reply?

>  I can ping both cards.  I need a good reference for ethernet, arp, route
>commands, etc.

If you can ping both cards, there's no problem.
  man arp
        man route
        man ifconfig

Robie.

From: "Terence J. Golightly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kppp and modem busy message
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:38:18 -0400

Hi,

I have an annoying problem that I hope somebody on this list can help me
with.  I am using mandrake 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13.  I am using kppp to
connect to my ISP.  This fails to work on many occasions.  I select the
connect button when in kppp and get a popup message :

Looking for modem

then

Sorry modem is busy.

during this interval, I notice that the software attempts to initialize
the modem but the TR light doesn't flash.  Does this have something to
do with mgetty not loaded into memory?  Any suggestions?  Sometimes I
can reset the modem using minicom and then kppp works. Not an elegant
solution.  Please respond directly as I have cross posted to several
group.  I will attempt to summarize any help I have received.

Thanks

Terry

--
<---------------------------------------------->
<-Terence J.Golightly-------------------------->

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: How the blank do I use .dif (.diff) files?
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:42:41 GMT

random@cait-sith:/home/random > man diff
No manual entry for diff
random@cait-sith:/home/random > diff --help
Usage: diff [OPTION]... FILE1 FILE2

  -i  --ignore-case  Consider upper- and lower-case to be the same.
  -w  --ignore-all-space  Ignore all white space.
  -b  --ignore-space-change  Ignore changes in the amount of white space.
[snip]

I did get a manual page for patch, at least..... (and yes, I do have all
the manpages for this distro -SuSe- installed).

I think that patch might be what I was looking for, I applied the *.dif
files to 3 source trees that I have, but haven't had the chance to compile
them yet to see wether or not they took (or to see if I'm simply mis-
reading the output of the patch command.)

I'll post my results after I've compiled and tell you all if it worked or
not.

Thanks for your help, I have been wondering WTF about using diff files
ever since I read the tannenbaum-v-torvalds flame war....
Bright blessings,
-Random

--
/*****************************************************
robot minds of robot slaves, lead them to atomic graves

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: HOT HD
Date: 28 Apr 2000 19:46:42 -0400

"Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Of course, this is only applicable if your fan is in a sealed box.
>
> All thats required is for the system to come to a 'stable' condition.

No.  Adding a fan will not make the system run hotter, whether it is
"stable" or not unless you eliminate airflow.

As long as the fan draws cooler air in from outside the case, it will
keep the inside temperature lower than if it wasn't there.

> Sealed or not has nothing to do with it other than it will run hotter
> if sealed because then all cooling is by black body radiation.  You
> put so much heat in, and eventually that exact amount of heat will
> come back out.

Sure, but without a fan, the temperature it will reach at that point
will be beyond the failure point of the computer components.

Come on, we're not talking about a homework assignment on a physics
test, we're talking about keeping a computer from overheating.  If you
want to talk about useless abstract theoretical ideas, take it to
sci.physics.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robie Basak)
Subject: Re: How Big Will X Grow Today?
Date: 28 Apr 2000 23:49:26 GMT

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000 02:30:35 GMT, Stewart Honsberger said:
>On Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:06:32 BST, Lack Mr G M wrote:
>>   What surprises me is that X seems to get distributed with the
>>xdm-config "terminateServer" option set to false.  If set to true then
>>when you logout xdm will restart the X server, hence any memory leaks
>>are removed.  The restart takes all of a second, so why is it disabled
>>by default?  Why would you *ever* wish to disable it?
>
>Could you elaborate a little more on this point?
>
>What is it you mean by 'log out'? Are you talking about somebody with a GUI
>logon for their Linux machine?

He said he's using xdm, which is the graphical logon program.

>I use the console to log on, and only have X loaded when I'm going to be here
>to use it. When finished, I close X and log out of that TTY. Would this
>feature benefeit me in any way?

No.

Robie.

From: Mike Pepera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice installed as root
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:44:26 GMT

If you want to make it accessable to all users, you should install it as root
by running: ./setup /net  from the directory of the Star-Office install files
this will enable you to setup a multi-user environment. Of course, each user
will have to install it themselves from the common location.

Hope this helps,

Mike Pepera

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger)
Subject: Strange kernel problems
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:32:52 GMT

Hello again, all.

My recent kernel problems appear to have been solved, although I'm not sure I
like the way they were solved. For those of you just tuning in, my problems
involved my mouse not working with the kernel.org 2.2.14 kernel, but did
work with the SuSE 6.4 supplied 2.2.14 kernel, and an error message telling
me that /etc/conf.modules was more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep

'Dances With <something>' suggested that I remove my old modules and re-
compile them. I did that, but got error messages on my next boot.

After quite a bit of song and dance, I discovered a couple of things. Firstly,
I had modules.conf with a softlink called conf.modules linking to it. That
appears to have been the cause of that error message. Secondly, even though
I have support for the NE2000 Ethernet adapter compiled into the kernel, I
HAVE to have ne.o in /lib/modules/2.2.14/net.

I'm not sure if any of this makes any sense to anybody, but I'm sure as hell
mystified at this point.

Also - could somebody point me to a list of just exactly what all of the
char-major-## devices ARE? char-major-4 can't be located, which is normal
for my system; in that I have to have it aliased to "off" in modules.conf
or I get repeated error messages about it. Also, char-major-14 "fails" to
insert (It appears to have something to do with the sound card, but I'm
listening to MP3's as I type, so obviously it's not Earth-shatteringly
important ;> ).

I still haven't found the reason, or a possibly solution, for my gpm[###]
Error In Protocol problem yet, but I'm working on it!

From: "Terence J. Golightly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kppp and modem busy message
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:43:55 -0400

"Terence J. Golightly" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an annoying problem that I hope somebody on this list can help me
> with.  I am using mandrake 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13.  I am using kppp to
> connect to my ISP.  This fails to work on many occasions.  I select the
> connect button when in kppp and get a popup message :
>
> Looking for modem
>
> then
>
> Sorry modem is busy.
>
> during this interval, I notice that the software attempts to initialize
> the modem but the TR light doesn't flash.  Does this have something to
> do with mgetty not loaded into memory?  Any suggestions?  Sometimes I
> can reset the modem using minicom and then kppp works. Not an elegant
> solution.  Please respond directly as I have cross posted to several
> group.  I will attempt to summarize any help I have received.
>
> Thanks
>
> Terry

SORRY forgot modem is a USR EXT 56K FaxModem

<---------------------------------------------->
<-Terence J.Golightly-------------------------->
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<---------------------------------------------->

------------------------------

From: "Rask0" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cron not working
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:52:59 -0700

Anyplace to go to look for ways to troubleshoot cron not working?

Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:58:33 GMT

Ok, I compiled the smallest program (bwbasic) that I had patched, and it
doesn't crash where I think it had crashed before...so it looks as though
I am in business. Thanks, I'll store that away for future reference :)

-Random