Linux-Misc Digest #306, Volume #25                Tue, 1 Aug 00 15:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How do I restrict user processes on Linux (Bernhard Brueck)
  Re: Advice on cutting memory usage
  Has anyone tried Vodoo5 or the GeForce2 cards?
  SuSE 6.4 ipchains problems ("Cheong")
  Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  unable to determine tty ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  unable to determine tty ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Apologies for three posts.... (Fermat)
  Re: Software under 90$  5114 ("David ..")
  Unresolved Symbols (Tim)
  6805 assembler (Eric Y. Chang)
  Re: Advice on cutting memory usage (Rasputin)
  Re: partitioning for Linux (Rasputin)
  Re: gmc trash? (Mike Styne)
  Re: partitioning for Linux (Mike Styne)
  Re: linux & mp3 (Lorin Winchester)
  Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
  RH 6.2 boot panic (Jason Bacon)
  Re: linux & mp3 (Akira Yamanita)
  Switching to 40-characters video mode under Linux (character based) ("Benjamin
Nyrup")
  Re: Advice on cutting memory usage (Andrew J. Perrin)
  Re: Which IDE linux C programers use? (Luis Yanes)
  Re: linux & mp3 (The Darkener)

From: Bernhard Brueck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I restrict user processes on Linux
Date: 1 Aug 2000 15:28:58 GMT

TeohST <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Solaris, one can always specify in /etc/system to limit a user's processes to a
>maxnumber by using statement such as:
> set maxuprc=30.

man bash
(search for "ulimit")

Bernhard

Bernhard Brueck                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advice on cutting memory usage
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:30:05 GMT

Andrew J. Perrin wrote:>>> Greetings. I've got linux (Debian, kernel 2.0.38) running
nicely on an> oldish laptop (Toshiba Portege 610CT), details will follow on setup>
issues, of which there were quite few.>> My concern is that the system alone consumes
most of the poor thing's> 16M of RAM:>> achebe:/boot> free>              total
used       free     shared    buffers     cached> Mem:         14288      13172
1116       4564        324      10136> -/+ buffers/cache:       2712      11576> Swap:
       32756       4108      28648I am not sure what you mean ??? At this point you
have 11576 free out ofthe 16M. The first line gives a total including disk cache (it
will beautomatically available if needed for something. )It is a good thing thatLinux
uses the RAM !!!! (I assume that you run free after a boot and onlydeamons running
which started during init ... in which case you already"optimezed it quite a
bit)Although 16M could be quite tight for X for example ...The best thing to try to
make a slim kernel maybe even use modules ... thatcould increase your "Mem: total" a
little bit ...Hope this helps ...GaborPS I am not sure if you new to linux or not but
this is quite a FAQ forbeginners (which is OK ..)>> I'm wondering if anyone can offer
advice on what I could drop in order> to reduce memory usage; I've turned off
junkbuster, postgreSQL, gpm,> isapnp, isdnutils, and samba, since I don't need them on
the> laptop. Particularly, I'm wondering what xntpd and omniNames do for> me.>>
Thanks.>> --> ---------------------------------------------------------------------->
Andrew Perrin - Solaris-Linux-NT-Samba-Perl-Access-Postgres Consulting>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin>

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Has anyone tried Vodoo5 or the GeForce2 cards?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:44:00 -0400

Hello, I am interested in getting a video card to replace my G200+Voodoo2
(sli) combo.

Has anyone worked with Geforce MX cards on an amd 751/756 chipset , and got
it working in Linux ?

I have a GA7IXe ( that's the gigabyte board with 2 isa slots ), bios of F4c
( the latest, I
guess, since I couldn't boot the t-bird with out the bios update )

Sure, any of those cards will work under winxx , but I am not willing to
loose X windows useability. If I have to wait for some time, I will .

The reason I am interested in a new card is because :
1) the new drivers for my v2's are not very good in glide mode. They work
from direct 3D mode, though, and seem to be OK. But I get some bad motion
sickness. A 700mhz t-bird is driving the 2 v2's and certain games do feel
"jerky". I had the same problem on an asus k7m board when the agp wasn't
working properly. a bios flash fixed that one. Here, on my system, what
trashes it is Klingon accademy: turning the view point in 1024x768 induces a
quasy feeling mostly because the view seems to bounce from position to
position. I'm guessing video bottle neck...

Any advice /hints /pointers would be useful.

thanks.
joseph

------------------------------

From: "Cheong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE 6.4 ipchains problems
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 00:42:08 +0800

Hi,

I have recently install a SuSE 6.4 Linux box as a firewall.I use the box as
a gateway to the internet using ipchains Masq rules. I have found that there
is some problem on a few website. Because the browser always tell me that
there is a "script" problem on that site. But, I have no problem on dial-up
line and a old SuSE 6.2 ipchains server. Is there any change I should made
to the SuSE 6.4 firewall?

Thanks in advance

Cheong

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on Mac LC III possible?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.powerpc
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:39:06 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Henry Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What machine do you have a working linux without an FPU?

I ran it on a 486sx without an FPU.
If it works on intel, there's no reason why it shouldn't work on other
architectures if the option's present...
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: unable to determine tty
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:57:12 GMT

I am trying to telnet to a Redhat 6.1 box and
get "unable to determine tty name".

The local keyboard is not working which I assume
is the same tty problem.

Does anyone know how to get around this/fix this?

Thanks

Fermat

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:57:13 GMT

I am getting an "unable to determine tty name"
from a Redhat 6.1 box when trying to telnet to it.

The local keyboard is not working either.

Could someone please tell me how to get round
this.

Thanks

Fermat

From: Fermat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apologies for three posts....
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:03:05 GMT

Apologies for three posts....

I am having a little trouble with my deja account...

Fermat

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.m68k
Subject: Re: Software under 90$  5114
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 12:12:57 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We are selling software for lowest price (all prices is under 90$)
> Check it out at http://www.cdnow2000.com immediately
>
> ykjygwkldn

LOL linux can be had for FREE!
Also the address is a non-functional page. No working links at all.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:27:16 -0400
From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unresolved Symbols

Hello,

        I'm getting some unresolved symbols when I insmod some network device
drivers (tulip.c modifications and others)  I've recompiled the kernel
and done the make mods and make mods_install to know avail.  A file has
been added to the mm (usr/src/linux) directory as part of a patch
(called ummap.c) so that the new drivers will function as part of the
kernel (I'll go into that if anyone whats to know more) and I see it
being compiled while the kernel builds.  It just doesnt seem to be doing
anything with the symbols.

Basically the unresolved symbols are the functions I created in my
modified tulip.c

Ive tried nearly everything I can think of but still come up short.  Any
ideas?  suggestions? I would surely appreciate it.

Tim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Y. Chang)
Subject: 6805 assembler
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:31:53 GMT

Hi.  Does anyone know of a good assembler for 6805 Motorola micros?
What I am looking for is something that will assemble already
existing files from vendors app notes.  Although some of the source
code is understandable, it seems better to have the standard features
already implemented.

Are these features standard?
pragmas
* as comment character
* as label
! as exponent
control case sensitivity on labels

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:38:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Andrew J. Perrin wrote:>>> Greetings. I've got linux (Debian, kernel 2.0.38) running
>nicely on an> oldish laptop (Toshiba Portege 610CT), details will follow on setup>
>issues, of which there were quite few.>> My concern is that the system alone consumes
>most of the poor thing's> 16M of RAM:>> achebe:/boot> free>              total
>used       free     shared    buffers     cached> Mem:         14288      13172
>1116       4564        324      10136> -/+ buffers/cache:       2712      11576>
>Swap:        32756       4108      28648I am not sure what you mean ??? At this point
>you have 11576 free out ofthe 16M. The first line gives a total including disk cache
>(it will beautomatically available if needed for something. )It is a good thing
>thatLinux uses the RAM !!!! (I assume that you run free after a boot and onlydeamons
>running which started during init ... in which case you already"optimezed it quite a
>bit)Although 16M could be quite tight for X for example ...The best thing to try to
>make a slim kernel maybe even use modules ... thatcould increase your "Mem: total" a
>little bit ...Hope this helps ...GaborPS I am not sure if you new to linux or not but
>this is quite a FAQ forbeginners (which is OK ..)>> I'm wondering if anyone can offer
>advice on what I could drop in order> to reduce memory usage; I've turned off
>junkbuster, postgreSQL, gpm,> isapnp, isdnutils, and samba, since I don't need them
>on the> laptop. Particularly, I'm wondering what xntpd and omniNames do for> me.>>
>Thanks.>> --> ---------------------------------------------------------------------->
>Andrew Perrin - Solaris-Linux-NT-Samba-Perl-Access-Postgres Consulting>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin>

Ever hear of carriage returns? :)
Good advice, from what I could make out, though.

--

Rasputin.
Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin)
Subject: Re: partitioning for Linux
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 17:40:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <Prasanth A. Kumar> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I am no expert but I am not exactly a newbie after installing Linux
>> several times.  I have a basic question though.  I install Linux on a
>> separate 1.6 gig drive.  I normally partion it with 200 meg for root, 500
>> meg for usr and the rest for home.  When installing Mandrake 7.0/7.1, I
>> get most of what I need installed but I would like to install more of the
>> programs and such.  There is over a gig of stuff on the CD.  Is there a
>> better way to partition my drive so I can install more?  JH
>>
>> --
>
>The most flexible configuration is to have a root partition only. You
>don't need anything more fancy unless you a) want to get around the
>1024 cylinder boot limit or b) need to make a more robust server
>configuration.

True, but a workstation will eventually fill up /tmp,
as they tend not to be powered up oftem enough for tmowatch
to run from cron.

But I agree with you that's the simplest way, you just need
to keep an eye on your disk usage..

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:45:18 -0400
From: Mike Styne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gmc trash?

> The helix-gnome description of the new version of gmc (4.5.51) mentions a
> trash can, but I see no sign of this. Is it really there? If so, can
> someone tell me where?

Gerald,

Assuming you're not running the Enlightenment Window Manager, you can
right-click on your desktop, bringing up a context menu, and then click
"Recreate Default Icons". This should bring up the trash can. I've found
it particularly useless, as it is simply a folder on your desktop called
"Trash".
Good Luck.

Regards,
Mike

--
Man who falls in blast furnace is certain to feel overwrought.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:50:14 -0400
From: Mike Styne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> separate 1.6 gig drive.  I normally partion it with 200 meg for root, 500
> meg for usr and the rest for home.  When installing Mandrake 7.0/7.1, I

Assuming you're going to be the only user of the system, you really only
need a / (root) partition. Typically, the benefits of having an extra
/home and /usr partition is to make backups and system upgrades a little
easier to handle. If you have a 1.6Gb root partition, you should be able
to install just about everything you want.

Mike

--
Why, when no honest man will deny in private that every ultimate problem
is

- Leslie Stephen, "An agnostic's Apology", Fortnightly Review, 1876

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lorin Winchester)
Subject: Re: linux & mp3
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 12:48:56 -0500

Another good site is http://appwatch.com.

--
Registered Linux User #182034
 12:46pm  up 2 days,  2:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.10

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.solaris.x86,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Learn Unix on which Unix Flavour ?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:36:44 -0700

Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:XpBh5.3022$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8m5arc$t85$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> After they changed their name to Interix, I got a demo CD of
> their Open NT (or whatever the name was of their Posix/Gnu/NT)
> thing.  I never got a chance to install it before it expired,
> so I don't know how well it worked.  It looked like an
> impressive piece of work based on the literature.

Most products do look impressive, in the literature.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bacon)
Subject: RH 6.2 boot panic
Date: 1 Aug 2000 17:58:54 GMT

I recently ran a RedHat 6.0 - 6.2 upgrade.  The upgrade appeared to
succeed, but when I try to boot the system, it autodetects a RAID 5
array (which doesn't exist), and then panics because it can't find the
root device.

Booting from the emergency boot floppy produces the same problem.

I can boot the system using an emergency boot floppy from a different
6.2 system, and all the filesystems are intact.
However, I can't bring up the network interface when the system is booted
this way.

Is there a way to disable the RAID detection at boot time, so I can boot
from the hard disk, or somehow enable networking when booted from a
floppy?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA,

-Jason

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:12:23 GMT

Stuart Colley wrote:

> Does anyone know of any software for linux to upload mp3 files to a
> player, i.e. what players will it work with and where can one obtain the
> software.
>
> cheers, S

Well, the other links will help you in your search, but in
particular, check out icecast.

http://icecast.org/

Players it works with: http://icecast.org/getstarted.html

------------------------------

From: "Benjamin Nyrup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Switching to 40-characters video mode under Linux (character based)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:17:27 +0200

I have an application (a Point-Of-Sale cash register) that needs to run in
40-characters VGA-mode. Under DOS I just enter the command "mode co40" and
it switches nicely, or I can send an ANSI-sequence that will do the job. How
can I accomplish this under LINUX? The various video modes, that you can
select in lilo.conf only changes the number of lines or set 132-columns
mode.

I would appreciate *any* suggestion.

Thanks
Benjamin Nyrup

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Perrin)
Date: 01 Aug 2000 14:33:03 -0400

Interesting - this information I didn't know.  Thanks.  Yes, the free
command was run right after a boot, but also after starting X (svga,
with fvwm2 as the window manager) and a single xterm.  I clearly
wasn't reading the output of free correctly, and will now bow out and
enjoy my nicely-functioning laptop.

Andy Perrin

From: Luis Yanes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which IDE linux C programers use?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:08:31 +0200

On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:53:12 GMT Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Most *serious* Linux/UNIX C programmers don't use a Microsoft, Borland, or
>CodeWarrior type of 'IDE'.  Almost all Linux/UNIX C programmers just use
>command like tools: some sort of editor and a shell window to use make,
>etc.  *Some* programmers use GnuEmacs or XEmacs -- both of these have
>syntax highlighting and 'electric C' modes.  There is also an interface
>where you can run make as a sub-process of Emacs and Emacs will parse
>gcc/g++'s error messages and bring up the section of code in another
>editor window.  There is also a gdb interface for Emacs as well.  These
>two interfaces give GnuEmacs or XEmacs *some* of the features and
>functionality that you are looking for, except generally the GnuEmacs
>or XEmacs 'IDE's are heavily keyboard-based with only small use of the
>mouse.

That's also just what I'm looking for. I like the mouse to play quake, but
feel very happy using command line tools and keypresses. I don't intend to
develop graphical apps, but just small text mode programs. Probably what I
need is just a gdb frontend. Now I can look for this and try it.
I'm familiar with the old uVAX Edt and PC WordStar editors, and some with
jed, (althought have some missing key definitions in the PC keyboard), but
still can't feel comfortable with jove. May be that should try harder.

>*I* have found that using a point-and-click programming interfaces tend
>to slow down code production -- the point-and-click interface has too
>much interface overhead (lots of excess hand movement, distracting 'eye
>candy', etc.).

I completely agree with this. That was the point of my question. I wanted
to know what was the most used IDE that for sure won't be mouse driven.
Just text mode and keypresses. You can do things 2 or 3 times faster, if
not more, using just the keyboard.

73's de Luis

mail: melus0(@)teleline(.)es
Ampr: eb7gwl.ampr.org
http://www.terra.es/personal2/melus0/ <- PCBs for Homebrewed Hardware

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:07:34 GMT

One I use a lot (when freshmeat doesn't work) is http://www.linuxapps.com

Lorin Winchester wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:59:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >       Also check http://freshmeat.net
>
> Another good site is http://appwatch.com.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User #182034
>  12:46pm  up 2 days,  2:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.13, 0.10

--
- The Darkener
"Which would you rather do: lick a cow's ass, or make out with your mom?"