Linux-Misc Digest #969, Volume #24               Wed, 28 Jun 00 09:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Gnome vs KDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux erased Windows!!!!!!!!!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ????Linux Installation and Setup Questionare???? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Names and Definitions of C functions? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  restrict logintime ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  pppd unexpectedly quits!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  removing soft links ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Full System Restore ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  NFS/StarOffice (@chewtoy.com)
  Names and Definitions of C functions? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gnome vs KDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Full System Restore ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  need guru's assistance: mail system (postfix) broken ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s* ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  fonts appear all as black boxes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Loadlin and SCSI ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gnome vs KDE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How much memory do I need for this server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  linux windows dual boot setup with newer bigger faster hard drive
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gnome vs KDE
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wouldn't limit yourself to those 2.  Try Blackbox.  Try
 Enlightenment.
Try Afterstep, IceWM, and Windowmaker.  Hell, try straight
 commandline.

Don't limit yourself.  This is Linux, remember? =)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux erased Windows!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  fredrik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Help me please!
>
> When I installed linux it erased windows 98 on my computer.
> What can I do to get it back? I have a recovery disc but i cant use
 it
because I dont have c: it's called something else.
> Please help me is there any way I can do to get c: back insteed of
 /?

> Fredrik

the '/' you speak of is from linux's ext2 file system. to get rid of
 it
try repartitioning with dos's fdisk (deleting the non-dos partitions)
 or
simply use any partitioning software to repartition and reformat your
hd..there are much better ones out there than dos's fdisk! this
 usually
consists of booting the machine with the partition disk in the
3.5"drive, repartition the hard drive as you need to..reformat..then
reinstall (gasp!) windows...if you want linux and windows...use LILO
 or
some other dual boot software.

excuse my winblows...im at work!

cabal
--you are no longer boone---you are cabal---save me from my enemies--

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ????Linux Installation and Setup Questionare????
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Dmitri V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> 3)how do i find my computers specifications and configurations
 correct so
> i can program them into my XF86Setup?

Well, this is only *my* experience, but:

1. Usually, Linux installation script determines your hardware
 without
any problems. Unless you've got something *very* new or *very*
 strange.

But if you have troubles with installing Linux, info about your
 hardware
is an indispensable thing. Really. Do not try to underestimate it.

2. If you have windows on this machine, go to My Computer ->
 Properties
-> Device Manager and write down/print out everything you see there.

But if you do not have Windoze, you may want to

3a. Get down a screwdriver, open the box and look what is there.
3b. Blow a layer of dust you've collected on the manuals of your
 machine
and RTFM, RTFM, RTFM, RTFM....

There are also many ways to gather info from within Linux:

SuperProbe will tell you everything you wanted to know about you
 video
card, but were afraid to ask;
cat /proc/pci will kindly inforom you what is on you pci bus;
cat /proc/cpuinfo - same about cpu;
xdpyinfo will give you extensive information about your X server;

... and so on!

HTH

Dmitri

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Simple questions: Pronounce, FreeBSD, pico etc....*s*
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: "Art S. Kagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hendrix wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As a newbie, I would like to take this time and ask a few questions
> regarding the pronounciation of various GNU/Linux utilities,
 commands,
> licences, concepts etc...<grin>  I've heard that different people
> pronounce these things differently anyhow, but just the same, I'm
> interested in knowing how you guys repeat these words... Should be
 fun,
> here goes nothing...*s*
>
> 1. vi      ---  Is it spelled out or spoken "Veye"...

Vee Eye

> 2. GNU     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "New"...

G-New

> 3. Linux   ---  Leee-nucks, Len-nucks, or Lie-nucks(How does Linus
 say
> it?)..

Li nix

> 4. SQL     ---  Is it spelled out, or pronounced "Sequel".. I've
 heard
> both..

SeQuel was IBM's original answer to Ingres's QUEL query language.  It
 later
was enhanced and expanded and the name was replaced with the acronym
 SQL
for Structured Query Language.  SQL is usually pronounced as S-Q-L by
 those
of us old enough to remember SeQuel and Quel and as Sequel by the
 young.

> 5. Daemon  ---  Is it demon, or daymon...

Deemon

> 6. TCL     ---  I've heard it called Tickle...???*s*

Both are common.  I prefer T-C-L myself.

> 7. pico    ---  Is it pee-co or pie-co...??? (Hey, I've used it
> too)...*s*

Pie Co

> In addition, could someone please enlighten me on the following
> "simple-natured" questions...???
>
> 1. Why is Unix-based systems referred to as *nix based systems when
> linux and various other versions end in "ux"...???

Because UNIX was a trademark of AT&T and later the organization that
 AT&T
handed control of the source over to it is not correct to refer to
 any
UNIX-like OS that is not derived from System V source code as UNIX.

> 2. Is FreeBSD linux or not...???  When I ordered all the
 distributions
> from <www.linuxmall.com> I was sent FreeBSD with all the other
> distros...

No, FreeBSD is based on the BSD UNIX distribution source NOT Linux
 source.

> 3. Does the POSIX standard dictate the directory structure of *nix
 based
> systems (usr, home, bin, etc, var et cetera...)...???  If so, where
 can
> I get a copy of this POSIX standard...???  What else does the
 standard
> dictate...???
>
> 4. Does the sysvinit program install the 'login' and 'sulogin'
 programs
> when it is installed itself...???  I know the 'init' process
 activates
> and respawns these programs, but is the 'login' and 'sulogin'
 programs
> part of the sysvinit distribution...???
>
> 5. Does anyone but me use 'pico'...???*smile*  Getting used to 'vi'
 is
> just killing me...!!!*s*

Try emacs next.  Please no holy wars.

> Sorry for bombarding you guys with all these questions, but I
 figure
> this is the best place to inquire...*smile*  Thanks to all you took
 the
> time to read and/or respond to this email...  Take care...

Art S. Kagel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Names and Definitions of C functions?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In another thread,

On 26 Jun 2000 11:21:06 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>You don't HAVE to link it with any. But I think you are
>asking "where are the math functions". They're in the
>math library, libm. So compile with -lm.
>
>This is a unix FAQ.

Where or how does one find out what functions are available in the
various C libraries, what they do and how they are invoked? I have
checked the /usr/doc/FAQs and found nothing.

I know I can get the names of the functions that are in a specific
library with the nm command, but this only gets me the names.

Any help is appreciated.

Craig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: restrict logintime
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:26 GMT

From: Daniel Schramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello.

I want to restrict the total logintime per day for specific groups of
 users.
A User belonging to the first group schould be able to use the
 Workstation
for 15minutes per day

A user of the other group should be kicked of after a total of
 30minutes in
between 8am und 3pm.
The rest of the day this user should be able to login without
 restrictions.

Does anyone know a program for this job?

Thanks
  Daniel

--
Daniel Schramm      Tel: +492316108112        Mail:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: pppd unexpectedly quits!!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Mink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with dialing into my ISP. pppd just quits when my
machine and the isp's server are authenticating. Here' the error
message:
"The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I couldn't
find any secret (password) which would let it use an ip address."

I've tried dialing up using both DIP and kppp-dialer with the same
results.

*Sometimes though I actually manage to log-on, which is really weird.

Thanks for any help you can give.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: removing soft links
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: bullwinkle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Phil Reardon wrote:

> Recently I made a soft link by going into the target directory and
> issuing ln -s /home/myhome.  How can I delete this link, without
> removing  or loosing the stuff in myhome?

     I'm not sure you made a symbolic (soft) link with that command.
 You
need a target and a link name or a directory.  For example:
             ln -s /home/myhome  mylinkname
The command to delete the link in my example would be:
              rm mylinkname
     Try the command ls -l from the path /home/myhome and look to see
 if
you really did make a symbolic link, then remove it with rm if it is
 there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Full System Restore
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:30:03 GMT, Brian Helm
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>I performed a full system backup using 'tar' and backed up every
 thing
>from '/' on down.  I went to perform a full system restore using the
 same
>tape and the system totally froze up when attempting to restore
>the /lib/ld-2.1.2.so and /lib/ld-linux.so.2 files.
>
>Is there a way to boot and run a kernal that will not utilize any
>libraries on the hard drive so that I can complete my full system
 restore?

This is what root/boot disks are for.  If your system gets completely
screwed over, you boot from something like Tom's (
 http://toms.net/rb/
) mount the root partition under /mnt and create any mountpoints if
 you
need to, then mount the other partitions under /mnt/usr, /mnt/home,
etc.  Then you cd /mnt and tar xf /dev/st0 ... the full backup you
 created
will unstuff itself into /mnt as if /mnt were /, while the libraries
 you
need for tar's operation are safe under / .

Overwriting /lib/libc and /lib/ld.so while the system is running is
 Not
Considered Safe, since every dynamically linked user-space program
 depends
on those.  You can also get around this problem by playing games with
chroot, but that can backfire severely if you don't know what you're
doing.

Also, tar does not preserve absolute sector positions on disk.  To
 get the
system to boot from the hard drive once again, you'll have to re-run
 LILO
once you've made the full backup.  There are certain programs that
 can
make the whole process a lot easier--BRU is one, but it's payware.
 amanda
and cpio have their partisans too.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long
 at the face

------------------------------

From: @chewtoy.com
Subject: NFS/StarOffice
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 16:48:24 GMT, Joost Andrae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Hi Frinky,
>
>maybe there's a problem with file locking...

        It might prove useful to note that I used StarOffice with an NFS
        mounted home directory under Bughat 6.1 & 6.2 with the server
        being on 6.1 with no problem.

        However, after I upgraded the client to 7.1 I began having SO
        troubles...

>...just try this:
>
>If you're a bourne shell user:
>export STAR_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=0
>export STAR_PROFILE_LOCKING_DISABLED=1
>
>or if you're a c shell user:
>setenv  STAR_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING 0
>setenv  STAR_PROFILE_LOCKING_DISABLED 1
>

>...and start soffice
>

>Regards, Joost Andrae
>

>> Hi,
>
>>    Got a funny problem. Workstation nfs mounting /usr, /opt/,
 /home, etc
>> from a central machine. Workstation users have same uids and gids
 as the
>> server. Everything loads up fine and runs across the network
 *except*
>Star
>> Office 5.1. if you type 'soffice' it starts to load then just
 stops
>(having
>> checked, it gets to looking for java stuff before just stopping).
 It
>> doesn't seem to freeze or anything it just stops, dead.
>
>> What's even weirder is if I log in as user whose /home/ dir isn't
 nfsed
>from
>> the server but on the local harddisc, it all starts up fine
 (staroffice
>etc
>> are still all being loaded across the network).
>
>> Bizarre as everything else loads and runs as expected.
>
>> Any ideas what's causing this?
>
>> Frinky

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: "Matt Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig McCluskey
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In another thread,
>
> On 26 Jun 2000 11:21:06 GMT, Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>>You don't HAVE to link it with any. But I think you are asking
 "where
>>are the math functions". They're in the math library, libm. So
 compile
>>with -lm.
>>
>>This is a unix FAQ.
>
> Where or how does one find out what functions are available in the
> various C libraries, what they do and how they are invoked? I have
> checked the /usr/doc/FAQs and found nothing.
>
> I know I can get the names of the functions that are in a specific
> library with the nm command, but this only gets me the names.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Craig

Assuming you're running a modern Linux, just type info at the command
 line
or in emacs, and go down to glibc. Also, try the man pages, ex. "man
 abs",
so once you know the name of a function from nm, use man on the name.
 . If
you want a book, get the C/C++ programmers reference by Herbert
 Schildt.

Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Suttie)

Definitely give Enlightenment a try if you've got the RAM; it takes a
 bit of
getting used to after windows but it's well worth the effort. That
 said I
use KDE and Gnome a lot too; depends what takes my fancy at the time
 (therein
lies one of the beauties of Linux)!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  Brian Helm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 27 Jun 2000 21:30:03 GMT, wrote :

BH> I performed a full system backup using 'tar' and backed up every
 thing
BH> from '/' on down.  I went to perform a full system restore using
 the same
BH> tape and the system totally froze up when attempting to restore
BH> the /lib/ld-2.1.2.so and /lib/ld-linux.so.2 files.
BH>
BH> Is there a way to boot and run a kernal that will not utilize any

BH> libraries on the hard drive so that I can complete my full system
 restore?

BH> What happens if a hard drive totally crashes?  Must you first
 install the
BH> OS from the CD-ROM and restore selected file systems?
BH>
BH> Doesn't make any sense.  What is the point of backing up the full
 system
BH> then.
BH>
BH> Help!!!!!

You can't restore certain files *on a running system*.  Specifically
stuff line /lib/ld-2.1.2.so and /lib/ld-linux.so.2, as well as
 various
other shared libraries.

Now, it is quite possible to create a 'tiny' Linux system that fits
entirely on one (or two) floppies.  That is you create a boot and
 root
floppy, specifically designed to restore a full backup in the event
 of
a total hard drive crash.  The rescue floppy needs to have the
 modules
for your tape drive (SCSI conrtoller, sd.o, st.o, or whatever), tar,
mkswap, mke2fs, and fdisk, and whatever shared libraries they need
 (or
better a *staticly* linked version of tar, mkswap, mke2fs, and
 fdisk).

You have to be sure that the backup is relative (which is what tar
 will
do by default).  You install a replacement drive.  Boot you
 boot/rescue
floppy set.  Typically set up to run in single user mode with a root
bash prompt.  You use fdisk (on the floppy) to set up the partitions,
use mkswap to initialize your swap partition and use swapon to
 connect
it up (this is optional, but not a bad idea). Then use mke2fs to
 format
the file systems, mount the root under /mnt (or a sub-directory there
 or
under /tmp or someplace), make the mount points for the other
filesystems and mount them.  Now you fire up tar:

tar xvf /dev/st0 -C /mnt

Adjust the -C parameter to match where the new disk was mounted.

Reboot with a boot floppy into single user mode (root == new hard
 disk
root).

Run lilo to restore the MBR and presto! restore complete.

Note: many new systems are being shipped with Zip drives.  It should
 be
quite easy (given a whole 100 or 250 meg) to 'install' a mini working
Linux system on a a Zip cart.  There might be issues as to whether
 you
can boot directly from the Zip cart (BIOS stupidity) , but you can
always create a 'normal' boot floppy and specifiy root=/dev/<zip
 drive
root partition>. Yes, fdisk is quite happy to re-partition a Zip
 drive
and mke2fs is also quite happy to make an Ext2 file sustem (or
 several
Ext2 file sustems) on a floppy.  I've not tried it, but I expect that
mkswap can make a swap partition there too.  It *should* be possible
even create a boot floppy that loads the ppa driver, so you can do
 this
with a parallel port Zip drive.

BH> --

                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: need guru's assistance: mail system (postfix) broken
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Dr Teeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Better read my message again.  I need to be able to send mail
 inbetween
users on my system.  For example, I still need to be able to mail
 from
root@localhost to ryan@localhost.  Without postfix, this is not
 possible
(to my knowledge).

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:26:31 GMT, Dr Teeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> | It seems that the problem was in the lookup of my hostname.  I am
not
> | using a fully qualified domain name.  In fact, on this host I
 really
> | only need to be able to send mail to other users on this system
 and
> | the Internet (through my isp's smtp server).  I do not need to
receive
> | email addressed to user@mymachine.
> |
> | How do I set postfix to ignore my non-qualified host name (or
understand
> | it for what it is)?  How do I set any mail not sent to my
 localhost
> | go through my isp?  And finally, how do I disable incoming email
(not
> | sure that this is needed).
>
> Based on your description you don't seem to need postfix at all.
 Might
as
> well deinstall it. Have your mail program point to your ISP's mail
host and
> you can send mail.
>
> Koos Pol

> S.C. Pol - Systems Administrator - Compuware Europe B.V. -
 Amsterdam

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Shawn Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>1. vi      ---  Is it spelled out or spoken "Veye"...

I pronounce it peeco, or zeemacs :)

--
All the best,
Shawn Smith  !UNT Proud!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: fonts appear all as black boxes
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: bullwinkle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >:>Gnome/RH 6.1:
> >:>SiS 6326 PCI 4MB 24 bpp (also with 8bpp , IIRC)
> >:>XFree86 3.3.5
> >:>
> >:>
> >:>Several fonts, 75dpi, misc (fixed) appear as single colored
> >:>fg=bg solid boxes in Gnome applications and xterms.
> >:>
> >:>I suspect it could have something to do with glyphs and the
 Xserver.
> >:>
> >:>Any ideas? Known problem?
> >
> >: Have you tried the RH updates? IIRC, there was a problem with
 this X
> >: server. Check the errata at redhat.com. Also, 24bpp can be
 squirelly,
> >: Try 16.
> >
> >Tried that too to no avail.
> >
> >Hmm. I didn't see an XFree86 upgrade in the RH 6.1 errata section.
> >Should I look at xfree86.org?
>
> You're right, must've been thinking 6.0. You could always try the
 3.3.6
> from 6.2. IIRC, that requires a glibc upgrade too though. You might
 also
> try the search engine at redhat.
>

> --
> Hal B

You might try adding or uncommenting some options in the device
 section
of /etc/X11/XF86Config.  I had the same trouble with a SiS 6326 on a
Diamond Speedstar A50, running RH6.1.  I added the following to the
XF86Config file in the Device section:
     Option "no_accel"
     Option "no_imageblt"
If you are using the same video card, this should work, different
 cards
using the SiS 6326 may need other options, maybe "no_linear" or
"sw_cursor".  I would make a copy of the file first and be prepared
 to shut
down X and re-edit the file in text mode as some cards don't like
 some of
these options at all. Go to http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/SiS.html for
 more
info.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Loadlin and SCSI
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:27 GMT

From: Daniel Samson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello,
I have a 8Go WD IDE drive with Windows on the first 2 Go and RH 6.2
 on 6
last Go. I boot RH 6.2 with Loadlin. The BootDisk made by the install
program see the SCSI card (AHA-2930CU) and the CD-Writer (Yamaha
 6416s).
But I can't make those see when I boot with Loadlin. Here's my
config.sys

[Linux]
shell=c:\Loadlin\loadlin.exe c:\Loadlin\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro
mem=192M

I tried various things with ramdisk and initrd, but there's obviously
something I don't understand. What are the parameters I need to make
 the
SCSI card and CD-Writer work with Loalin?
Many thanks

Daniel Samson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Isn't Enlightenment part of Gnome? When I launch Gnome, this thing
 comes
up with "Enlightenment starting" or something.

Wroot

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How much memory do I need for this server
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: "Lonni J. Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I wonder how well that box is going to function if you have 30 people
simultaneously compiling code on it.  I think memory is the least of
your concerns.

David Rolfe wrote:

> I am putting together a linux box that will sit on the internet
 that
> students can telnet to do their programming assignments. We want to
> support 30 students. They will be only running telnet sessions in
 line
> mode and compiling and running simple programs. The machine we have
 is a
> 450 MHZ machine with 64 Megs of memory. Does anyone know if this is
> enough memory to support the application? In addition, is there
 some
> configuration file somewhere that limits the number of telnet
 sessions?
> If there is I need to set this up. Finally can anyone point me to
> something I can read about securty issues. This machine will be
 very
> simple. It will not be any kind of web server. Just a "compile
 server".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: linux windows dual boot setup with newer bigger faster hard drive
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:46:28 GMT

From: "Matt Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To change which drive is recognized as master, just set the jumpers
 on
your drives. Usually, drives will have a jumper which can be set to
 slave,
master, or cable select. Set the small drive to slave, the big drive
master, and the bios will sort it out. You'll have to copy your
 windows to
the new drive, I would normally do this in Linux, using Slackware
bootdisks, cfdisking the new drive, mounting both the old and the
 new, and
doing a "cp -R /mnt/old/* /mnt/new", but not everyone might be
 comfortable
with that. You could try using Norton Ghost or something. Once you
 get
your Windows copied and bootintg ok, then just stick the Caldera CD
 in and
let 'er boot. The Caldera installer will let you pick which drive and
partition to install to; it isn't a problem. You'll have to install
 LILO
on the MBR of the master to be able to boot into both Windows and
 Linux,
since Linux will be on a second drive. If they were both on the same
drive, you could just install LILO in the Linux paritions boot
 sector, and
make that the bootable partition. If for what ever reason LILO screws
 up,
you can always remove it by having a Win95 boot disk with fdisk on
 it,
booting off of that and running "fdisk /mbr" to restor the windows
 boot
sector. Once you do that, the only way to get Linux going will be
 with a
boot disk.

Check www.linuxdoc.org for more information about running Windows and
Linux together.