From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kill -9 won't work!
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 22:36:38 -0500

[ upside-down quote flipped right-side up ]

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] quoth:

~~ Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 09:44:38 -0400
~~ From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
~~ news:8nitjt$7l4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
~~
~~ > Hi there,
~~ >
~~ > I have a process running on one of my servers that has obviously gone
~~ > mad, so I wanted to kill it. But even kill -9 doesn't make it go away
~~ > and it continues eating cpu time. Is there an alternative (low level)
~~ > way of killing processes or do I have to reboot the server?

[ snip ]

~~
~~ That's "kill -s 9 " , mon ami!

No, 'kill -9' or even 'kill -KILL' is perfectly acceptable syntax.

Best Wishes,

anm
~ Andrew N. McGuire                                                      ~
~ [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                              ~
~ "Plan to throw one away; you will, anyhow." - Frederick P. Brooks, Jr. ~

From: Daniel =?ISO-8859-1?Q?B=E9chard?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Faxing with Linux
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:47:52 GMT

I use Open Linux 2.4

Can we send fax with Linux?
If yes, how?

With Windows I used Winfax

------------------------------

From: "Toby Tomkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux on AMD am29000
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:01:05 +1000

Hi,
    I have an AMD am29000 thinclient which boots and registers with the
server for ip (via dhcp). It will attempt to retrieve a boot image from the
server (bootp) however as the am29000 is a risc chip I have no boot images
for it. Could anyone give me any hints or point me in the right direction?

thanks

------------------------------

From: Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: nntp:  posting not allowed - tin?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:42:06 -0700

Doug O'Leary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> The latest version that I am aware of is 1.4.4.  You can either download
>> that from www.tin.org or from my ftp site at
>> ftp://ftp.stikman.com/pub/tin/tinv1.4
>
>Hey;
>
>Thanks for the input.  I downloaded the newer version, compiled, and
>installed with the same result.  It's got to be something fairly simple,
>but, for the life of me, I can't figure it out.
>
>Thanks, though.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Jeff
---
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Best Free E-Mail for Linux?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:08:48 +0000 (UTC)

On 18 Aug 2000 14:05:27 -0500, Ron J Theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What's the best free e-mail service to use for someone
>who runs Linux?

Your own.  But usually whatever connects you to the internet will provide
mail service.

>What's the easiest free Web hosting site to use for
>someone familiar with Unix and Apache?

Virtualave.net runs CGI as you anywhere in your webspace (FreeBSD) and in
my experience has been most reliable.  They have many users, but also many
boxes.  They require a banner ad like they all do, but you have your
choice of putting it on the page if you don't want the annoying popup.
You can have a subdomain if you don't want to pay for your own domain.
Sendmail was sluggish at one time, due to a spam filter, but seems to work
more promptly now.

Many others I checked out were sluggish (a clue is a slow loading home
page).

I don't know any free hosts that allow telnet access, but you can find
your way around most with your own webshell.cgi (preferably password
protected).

Your sig is repeating itself:

David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: hdparm losing settings on both IDE drives?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:13:20 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Stewart Honsberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm currently using the settings;
>
>hdparm -u1 -c1 -k1
>
>for both of my IDE drives, but every time I re-start my computer the
>settings are lost (return to their '0' values, thus cutting my IDE
>speed in half). Is this normal? Is there a better way to keep the
>settings than this, or do I have to put that line in my startup
>scripts somewhere?

When you reboot, everything is starting fresh, so it you want something
set a certain way, you have to arrange for it.  You could always put them
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

You might want to use a full path to hdparm, in case its path is not in
the startup script PATH.

From: "D. C. & M. V. Sessions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: win on linux, good or bad???
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:16:21 -0700

Davis Eric wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> Just curious about the attitudes on running windows apps on Linux. Is
> this a trendency? Just curious about this.

Well, that sorta depends.

Most of the ways to do it are less than ideal,
ranging from the bulletproof-but-slow VMWare
approach, through the works-mostly-but-not-reliable
Wine approach, to the so-gross-you-can't-stand-it
Mainsoft recompilation (kind of like WineLib but without
the elegance.  Urrrk.)

IF you have an app that doesn't have a native Linux equivalent
AND one of these works for you, then what's the problem?  The
software is there to satisfy your needs, not you to serve it.
(For instance, I do my annual taxes using TurboTax on a VMWare
NT4 virtual machine.)

--
| Bogus as it might seem, people, this really is a deliverable       |
| e-mail address.  Of course, there isn't REALLY a lumber cartel.    |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Help! Glibc-2.1.3 compile problems...
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:14:48 GMT

Thanks.

    It should have been obvious to me - but I downloaded the
latest linuxthreads separately from my glibc sources.  I did
not realize that the versioning values were identical for
both glibc and linuxthreads.
    After downloading the proper linuxthreads 2.1.3 everything
built correctly.

    I appreciate the (soft) kick in the butt.

Regards,

    James.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Andreas Jaeger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  > Hello.
>  >    I am trying to compile glibc-2.1.3 on Debian/GNU 2.1R2.  I
>  > have upgraded gcc to 2.95.2 and downloaded the crypt and
>  > linuxthreads additional modules.  I also upgraded to kernel
>  > 2.2.16.
>
>  >    Two problems occurred so far:
>  > 1) One of the dependency files was erroneously created with a T on
the
>  > end - renamed it and I was able to continue.
>
>  > 2) The linuxthreads extension will not compile.  GNU Make and gcc
>  > complain about missing include files "bp_sym.h" and
"shlib-compat.h".

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 02:48:25 GMT

> The WvDial script works fine via gnome from one of my other linux
> machines.  How do I get this script to work using PPP.

Using the wvdial program _is_ using PPP.

> I thought it would be easier if I provided the site which provided the
> information for editing the necessary files and scripts at the RCN site.

Nope.  It would take me five minutes or so to bring up my dialup link and
load the page.  I don't have time for that.  Post your scripts and logs.

> I thought connecting to my ISP would be a simple matter.

It would be, if you were using Debian.

> Basically, this is the script that works while using gnome to connect to
> my ISP.

That isn't a script.  That's a set of messages from wvdial.

> This is the script I was told to create in order to connect to my ISP
> using PPP.

Never use the Linux scripts supplied by an ISP.  They are always crap.
Just use the ISP's script as reference material.

> I have wondered why the script which works for gnome does not work for
> pppd.

This sentence makes no sense.  Wvdial uses pppd, as does every other
"dialer".

I don't quite understand what your problem is.  Is it that wvdial works
fine but you want to use the Slackware-style ppp-on scripts?
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help!  Urgent problem with gzip
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:22:09 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 17:42:00 GMT, Daniel Doreika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have done something incredibly stupid, and now I'm trying to fix it,
>so far to no avail.  I created a large backup file (about 180 MB),
>using tar, and gzipped it to create backup.tar.gz  I then FTPd it to
>an NT system for storage.  Well, what was stupid was I accidently
>transferred it using ASCII mode instead of binary mode.  Now it winds
>up I really, really need the contents of the file, but gunzip keeps
>barfing on it, no matter what I seem to do.  I have looked for 'dos to
>unix' converters and 'ascii to binary' converters, and tried many, all
>to no avail.  Whenever I try to gunzip this file now, I get:
>
>gunzip: backup.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated
>
>Like I said, I have tried several converters, including stripping out
>/r/n, and replacing them with /n, but nothing seems to work.  Does
>anyone have any suggestions on what I can try next?  The data
>contained in this file is very important, and I really need to get it
>back, ASAP.  Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Have you tried ASCII downloading it to a Unix/Linux box just in case the
high bit is not stripped during ASCII upload?  But I don't think there is
error detection in ASCII transfer, so one bad bit in either direction
might mean the end of it.

From: "Rinaldi J. Montessi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where can I find a 2.2.17pre kernel source?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 00:27:10 -0400

Kernel.org doesn't have it listed, yet I know it exists.

--
Rinaldi]$

------------------------------

From: "Barry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Email configuration question
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:27:26 GMT

Hi all,

I am using sendmail on a Linux server that is an Internet mail server and
have a question: I would like users on my machine to have email addresses
that are different from their user names, for security purposes. For
example, my user name is BF4839432 but I would like my email address to be
something more readable like [EMAIL PROTECTED] . How do I redirect incoming
email for "barry" to the mailbox of "BF4839432" if "barry" is not an actual
user name on the machine?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Sincerely,

Barry

------------------------------

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restricitng executables through telnet?
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:39:49 -0500

[ sorry for not following up to the OP, but my news server no longer has
  the OP ]

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, FyreFiend quoth:

~~ Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 04:03:02 -0400
~~ From: FyreFiend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~
[ snip ]

~~ On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:04:36 GMT, Patrick M Geahan<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ wrote:
~~
~~ >I have a couple of users that I want to have mail-only access to my RH6.x
~~ >box.  Basically, when they telnet(or ssh) in, I want to execute a specific
~~ >mail program, let them read and send, and when they exit, log back out.
~~ >
~~ >If I have to pick a specific app, I'd choose pine, but I'd like to let
~~ >them choose their own.

Well if you choose pine, there is a good chance they will get a shell.
All they have to do is change their editor for pine from pico to vi or
vim.  In vim ':shell' does the trick in vi ':! sh' will do it.

~~ >I'm looking for advice as to the best way to accomplish this.  I know I
~~ >could stick a set of command in the .login to call pine and then logout,
~~ >but would this prevent them from dropping to a prompt?  I don't want them
~~ >to be able to cancel the script execution to get around what I'm doing.

Nope, see above.

~~ >Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Instead of disallowing shell access, why don't you limit what they can
access in the shell.  chroot'in em is one way to do it. :-)

From: "Andrew N. McGuire " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cvs access
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:43:23 -0500

On 19 Aug 2000, BJW7TOAEM quoth:

~~ Date: 19 Aug 2000 03:26:03 GMT
~~ From: BJW7TOAEM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
~~ Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
~~ Subject: cvs access
~~
~~ I was wondering if there was any web interface or windows interface to access
~~ any cvs server publically availible? I can only access the internet on my
~~ family's windows computer, and would like to still have access to cvs servers.
~~ Any help would be apprechated! Thanks for your time.

http://www.wincvs.org

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: looking for linux compatible external modem
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:46:52 +0000 (UTC)

On 19 Aug 2000 02:47:48 GMT, Hypnotist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
>loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
>either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
>have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

When my Zoom (K56flex flashed to V.90) internal kept totally locking up
(requiring reboot) in any OS (due to flawed equipment at my ISP) I
purchased a Diamond SupraExpress 56 that worked flawlessly for an 11 hour
ftp FreeBSD install and since then with Linux.

Incidently, Lucent never could fix the troublesome (formerly) Livingston
Portmaster and ended its life cycle.  The SupraExpress somehow worked
around the problems on the other end.

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I find a 2.2.17pre kernel source?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 04:49:17 GMT

"Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote:

> Kernel.org doesn't have it listed, yet I know it exists.
>
> --
> Rinaldi]$

AFAIK, it's a set of patches.

http://jhcloos.com/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.2.17pre/

------------------------------

From: Tom Tracey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux
Subject: Switching browsers in KDE
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 05:49:02 GMT

Hello all,
    I'm a Linux newbie and would like to switch the default browser for
KDE from the internal browser to Netscape.  I would like this change to
impact K-Mail as well.  I love the KDE interface, but wish it would
launch Netscape for internet browsing...Any help would be
appreciated....

    Thanks!

        Tom...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  <<==--  Remove NOSPAM to reply by E-Mail