Linux-Misc Digest #492, Volume #27               Sat, 31 Mar 01 11:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Slide Show?? (Stefano Ghirlanda)
  Re: Making Getty work with the serial port COM1 (Michael Heiming)
  No way to shrink KDE windows? (Andrew Purugganan)
  localtime ("Rene Scheibe")
  Support for LCD Monitors? ("Robert Hardy")
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (Spyros Tsiolis)
  Re: Support for LCD Monitors? (Stig Brautaset)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (Anthony Campbell)
  Console tool to resize jpegs? (Doug Robbins)
  Re: /boot directory ("Eric en Jolanda")
  5250 Emulator... ("Claude Santero")
  dmsdos working under 2.2.19 (A E Lawrence)
  CDRecord and Buffer Underruns ("Matt")
  determining keycodes (John Prokopek)
  Re: Console tool to resize jpegs? (Dave Brown)
  Re: Slide Show?? (Jim Bradley)
  Re: Swiching between Linux and Windows (Rod Smith)
  X optimisation ("Martin Mbogho")
  free disk space ("Rene Scheibe")
  Need Some Serious Business SW Advice (Nico Coetzee)
  Re: determining keycodes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: free disk space (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (John Hasler)
  Re: Tips: Debian is very good (= (John Hasler)
  Re: bzip, rpm files in Windows (Donald Stidwell)
  Questions on installation of Linux through NFS ("Cedric Chausson")

From: Stefano Ghirlanda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slide Show??
Date: 31 Mar 2001 13:34:03 +0200

Jim Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I want to create a slide show of jpg images with an approximately 10
> second interval between slides. Is there an easy Linux solution?

man display, look at the -delay option.

--
Stefano - Hodie pridie Kalendas Apriles MMI est

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:45:10 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Making Getty work with the serial port COM1

Siddharth Vajirkar wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to get getty to work with the serial port COM1. I have read
> through the HOWTO for serial port terminal and I understand the various
> steps in there to configure your serial port using setserial, configure
> getty using /etc/gettydefs. However I can't get this to work. My setup is a
> simple PC (e-machine 633) running RH 6.2 with COM1 connected using a null
> modem cable to a laptop running Win 2000 and hyperterminal looking at COM1.
> I can say ls ~ > /dev/ttyS0 and the listing of my home directory shows up on
> the hyperterminal, but I can't get getty to start on COM1. When I try to
> start getty, it waits for a couple of seconds and then just terminates my
> telnet session to the linux box.
> I tried mgetty, but it just sits there and does not seem to do anything.
> I am under the impression that I should be able to ask getty to start with
> /dev/ttyS0 and if I hit enter on my hyperterminal session I should get a
> login prompt. Is that how this is supposed to work? Any other references I
> should check to get this working?
>
> Thanks much!
> - Sid

Hello,

I can successfully login even from my calculator (HP 48 GX) via serial,
using agetty, with the following line in /etc/inittab:

S0:123:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0

You should be able to use higher speeds, check man agetty.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: No way to shrink KDE windows?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 13:00:56 GMT

(Older version of KDE, not the recently released one) COREL Linux SE
(Second? Special? )

No matter how much I change the font size, windows such as KDE Control
Center always seem to occupy 105% of the screen. Are they really like
that? Can't I have smaller windows without changing resolutions?
Usefulness or not, it's beginning to bug me more than windows. The GUI
part, at least (not intended to start flamewars)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: "Rene Scheibe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: localtime
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:20:15 +0200

Can someone tell me what a file /etc/localtime is?
I upgraded glibc from 2.1 to 2.2 and in says
it created /etc/localtime as /etc/localtime.rpmnew.
Can I rename the new to the old file or what?

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux
From: "Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support for LCD Monitors?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:12:19 GMT

Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
sites.

Thanks.

Robert.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:31:09 +0100
From: Spyros Tsiolis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tips: Debian is very good (=

Chaps,

Is the Debian release _so_ good ?

I've been hearing things about how good and
stable it is and I am so tired of trying to
find a version that doesn't give me a headache
for so long now that I cannot remember.

Would you Debian experts suggest potato
(or 2.2.2 for that reason) to someone
who would like to simply upgrade packages
without the husle of , say, RH or Mandrake ?

Thanks,

spyros

Subject: Re: Support for LCD Monitors?
From: Stig Brautaset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Mar 2001 14:47:44 +0100

"Robert Hardy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Not knowing so much about Linux etc. I am wondering if I will have problems
> using a LCD monitor (precisely the Proview BM568 or the TAXAN Crystalvision
> 680) - I am just putting together a system and will want to run some
> distribution of Linux (no preference as yet). Will I need drivers and such -
> since I know that they supply Win9* etc drivers with the product (not sure
> what they do), but they don't have any Linux drivers for download from their
> sites.

You should not have any problem /at all/ using any monitor that will
connect to your graphics card.

Regards, Stig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Campbell)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:15:59 +0100

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:31:09 +0100, Spyros Tsiolis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chaps,
>
>Is the Debian release _so_ good ?
>
>I've been hearing things about how good and
>stable it is and I am so tired of trying to
>find a version that doesn't give me a headache
>for so long now that I cannot remember.
>
>Would you Debian experts suggest potato
>(or 2.2.2 for that reason) to someone
>who would like to simply upgrade packages
>without the husle of , say, RH or Mandrake ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>spyros

Definitely yes. If you stick to potato there should be no hassles at
all. In fact, I've been keeping up to date with "testing" for several
months now with no problems whatever.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian (Windows-free zone)
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

"Orthodoxy is my doxy, heterodoxy is another man's doxy."
                                                  [William Waburton]

------------------------------

From: Doug Robbins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Console tool to resize jpegs?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:23:16 GMT

Anyone know of a command-line tool that can simply take a jpeg and
scale it down, say to 25%? I want something that I can run in a
script:, to take 'picture.jpg', scale it to 25% and produce a new
image, 'picture2.jpg'. I've been through Freshmeat and while there are
tools for generating thumbnails and web pages, this isn't exactly what
I want.

Is there maybe something applicable tucked away in my RedHat 6
distribution?

Thanks for any suggestions.

--
Doug

------------------------------

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /boot directory
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:29:39 +0200

> > Can someone tell me what the following files in
> > the /boot directory are for:
> >     chain.b
> >     map

these belong both to lilo, read the User_Guide

> >     modules-info

don't have a clue.
move it, and see what it does.
(Keep a bootfloppy at hand, just in case)

> >     System.map

can be used for debugging.

> > Do I need them or can I delete some of them.
> > (I compiled a kernel without modul-support)
> >
> Why does everybody in this NG want to totally strip his /boot directory?
> We're talking about 1MB or so, _including_ the kernel.

I agree.
Hey everybody, take a look at /usr/lib, those files are a lot bigger :-)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Claude Santero" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 5250 Emulator...
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 16:31:30 +0200

We are a little French Industry and we are using Client Access from IBM
under Windows configured on 5250 emulator (with TCP / IP) to access an IBM
AS/400.
Very interrested by Linux, I wonder if someone know something about 5250
emulator under Linux. Does such an emulator exist ? If someone know
something we are grateful to him for giving us some clue.

Best regards.
Claude Santero.

------------------------------

From: A E Lawrence
Subject: dmsdos working under 2.2.19
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:56:24 +0100

dmsdos does not compile straight-forwardly under kernel 2.2.19. The
problems are that the current kernel headers are not in /usr/src/linux
as the present dmsdos supposes, and the wrong kernel headers are
included.

Replacing /usr/src/linux by /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build everywhere
and adding -I/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include to CFLAGS in the
src/Makefile fixes the problem.

I can provide some very rough patches if needed. But a proper version
might be better...

ael [ note carefully the antispam address: see below ]
--
A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply address)

------------------------------

From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDRecord and Buffer Underruns
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 08:58:39 -0600

Ok, first, I am still in windows, but I'm trying to use cdrecord (since it's
the only decent freeware burner I could find) to burn the debian image... so
this is for a good cause :)

I'm running cdrecord under cygwin (http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/) and
whenever I attempt to run it I get these error msgs:

>Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
>Starting new track at sector: 568
>Track 01:   0 of 640 MB written../cdrecord.exe: I/O error. write_g1: =
>scsi sendcmd: retryable error
>CDB:  2A 00 00 00 02 38 00 00 1F 00
>status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
>Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 24 00
>Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
>Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
>Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)=20
>cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

I've asked some people about the problem and they tell me it's a buffer
underrun.  I've also now read the README.atapi (that was included with the
cdrecord tar) and have looked over some cd faqs.  Does this mean I need to
trash my current disc and try again?  (I've read that trying at a slower
speed may help, instead of my maximum 8x).  Any other suggestions on
programs to kill that may cause a buffer underrun?

Also, does SCSI have anything to do with this?  README.atapi seemed to
center around where to get SCSI support for certain operating systems (it
says for windows, and I quote, "Win32: using a recent ASPI Layer").
Again... any sort of help would be most appreciated, especially if you have
also experienced this problem.

I'm really pretty confused about all of this... but hey... what else is new.
Please email responses to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  as I do not have much time to
check this newsgroup today.  Thanks in advance

-- Matt

------------------------------

From: John Prokopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: determining keycodes
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 10:04:42 -0500

can someone tell me how to verify keycodes?
I am trying to map keys in a program by their keycodes and it doesn't
seem to be working.
I have tried using showkey but it doesn't seem to work.
An example is the multiply key on the key pad. The keycode should
be 0x37.  When I use showkey it just displays a '*' and does not return
a value.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
John D. Prokopek

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Console tool to resize jpegs?
Date: 31 Mar 2001 08:56:10 -0600

In article <Usenet.qifqphoj@localhost>, Doug Robbins wrote:
>Anyone know of a command-line tool that can simply take a jpeg and
>scale it down, say to 25%? I want something that I can run in a
>script:, to take 'picture.jpg', scale it to 25% and produce a new
>image, 'picture2.jpg'. I've been through Freshmeat and while there are
>tools for generating thumbnails and web pages, this isn't exactly what
>I want.

Check out the tools in ImageMagick.  There's "convert" or "mogrify"
which (as I recall) can do resizing.  Also, "display", which is does
display in X, but has some very nice image processing tools... one of
the better resizing algorithms.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Jim Bradley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:56:26 -0600

> gqview does exactly what you're asking.

Thanks. I'd actually even looked at that, and at the time, it didn't
seem to be what I wanted. I went back and looked again, and it will do
what I want. The only drawback that I"ve found is that you can tell it
to display the first image full screen, but it drops back to the slide
resolution for the next slides. I'll just have to resize all of the
pics, but it does solve the problem. Thanks again.

Jim Bradley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Swiching between Linux and Windows
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:21:02 -0000

        root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

If you're really posting as root, don't do that! The root account is
potentially *VERY* dangerous, and should not be used except when
absolutely necessary. It's far too easy to mistype a command and end up
with a non-working system when you're working as root.

> In a discussion of  running Winapps on Linux boxes,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> 3. Win4lin installs in you Linux system and you will not be able to run
>> you old Windows apps without reinstalling them also. It does not access
>> your current Windows file system. It actually allows the new install to
>> run in an ext2 file system.

If your Windows partitions are accessible in Linux, you can make them
accessible to Win4Lin. For programs that don't install droppings in the
C:\WINDOWS directory, that means those programs need not be
re-installed.

> My
> Linux machine is LAN'ed to 3+ others, at least one of which can be running
> Windows and unused at any time. It seems to me that by far the simplest
> solution  would be to grab the Windows screen over the LAN, put it up as an X
> window, and send mouse clicks and keystrokes back.

Look into VNC (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/index.html). This is
an open source package available for Linux, Windows, and MacOS (with
third-party ports to other OSs). It does exactly what you're asking for,
although the speed isn't always the best and there are occasional
display glitches (screen areas not being redrawn until the mouse is
moved over them, for instance).

> If all this runs on top of
> Samba, I could have transparent access to files and printers as well.

Samba is entirely independent. Certainly there's no reason you can't
run Samba in addition to the VNC client, so you could sit at Machine #1
(Linux), run the VNC client on it, run the VNC server on Machine #2
(Windows), mount Machine #1's shares on Machine #2, and run software on
Machine #2 that accesses Machine #1's files.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Martin Mbogho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X optimisation
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:27:36 GMT

I know there is a way to use NICE to speed up X Windows or to make it
seem MUCH more responsive does anyone know or remember the procedure I forgot
and can't find any documentation listing it?

Thanx in advance

------------------------------

From: "Rene Scheibe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: free disk space
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:42:21 +0200

How can see how many space e.g a directory uses.
Do I have to use du? What parameters do I have to
use that not all files are parsed - it's so slow!!!
Is there another alternative?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:57:10 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need Some Serious Business SW Advice

Hi there !

Can some kind person PLEASE point me in the right direction ???

I have the following:

1 x Xinix System with Chameleon Accounting Package (Support is killing
me on this system).
17 x Point of Sale Terminals (Text only)

I need an accounting system with emphesis on:

a. Inventory Control
b. Point of sales (obviously linked with the inventory system)

I also want to through out Xinix and get Linux in, but, I want to keep
my terminals to save some costs. Server HW needs upgrading, so I know
there's no cheap way around that.

Any help will do!

Thanx,

Nico Coetzee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: determining keycodes
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 15:47:00 -0000

In comp.os.linux.development.system John Prokopek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| can someone tell me how to verify keycodes?
| I am trying to map keys in a program by their keycodes and it doesn't
| seem to be working.
| I have tried using showkey but it doesn't seem to work.
| An example is the multiply key on the key pad. The keycode should
| be 0x37.  When I use showkey it just displays a '*' and does not return
| a value.

Your showkey is broken or doesn't match your kernel.

You should be getting something like:

root@pollux:/root 48> showkey
kb mode was XLATE

press any key (program terminates 10s after last keypress)...
keycode  28 release
keycode  55 press
keycode  55 release
root@pollux:/root 49>

And just to make sure, showkey is for virtual console, not X.

| Phil Howard - KA9WGN |   Dallas   | http://linuxhomepage.com/ |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Texas, USA | http://phil.ipal.org/     |

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:53:30 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: free disk space

Rene Scheibe wrote:

> How can see how many space e.g a directory uses.
> Do I have to use du?

Asuming you want to see how much space all files below a given directory
use?

du -sh /path

> What parameters do I have to
> use that not all files are parsed - it's so slow!!!

Why slow?

man du

for the available parameters

> Is there another alternative?

Write Ie. an awk script that summarises $5 from ls -al,
but I mind that this would be faster than du...

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:50:35 GMT

Spyros.
> Is the Debian release _so_ good ?

In my biased opinion, yes.

> ...to simply upgrade packages . without the husle of , say, RH or
> Mandrake ?

Upgrading packages (or the entire distribution) with Debian is trivial.
The initial installation of the Debian distribution, on the other hand, is
not.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 13:43:08 GMT

Michael Perry writes:
> I have been religiously upgrading unstable to the bleeding edge and it
> just plain works.

Don't bet your servers on it.  Unstable is fine for workstations that can
stand a little downtime, but we've had one libc screwup already this year.
There is a reason it is called unstable.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Donald Stidwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bzip, rpm files in Windows
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:02:08 -0500

Dennis Rasey wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:24:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L
> Olczyk) wrote:
>
> >OK. Sorry to bring up "the other platform", but since
> >bzip and rpm are Linux tools I feel this forum is appropriate.
> >Are there any tools out there that will allow me to view bzip
> >and rpm files on Windows, similar to WinZip?
>
> Thad,
> There's a program called Power Archiver
> (http://powerarchiver.efront.com/)
> It says it'll do bzip2 (I have no idea what the difference between
> bzip & bzip2).
> It does not mention RPM's though.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Dennis

Power Archiver works fine with bzip and bzip2 files. And it's free too!
Don't know of any Windows program that handles rpms so far.

Don
Donald E. Stidwell
Network Engineer
Information Systems
Bon Secours Hampton Roads Home Care
Bon Secours Hampton Roads Health System

From: "Cedric Chausson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED](halteauspam)>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Questions on installation of Linux through NFS
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:05:55 +0200

Hello all,

I want to install RH 6.2 on a machine that has no CD-ROM drive but has a
Ethernet card. I have two questions :

First Question :

The machine has a 3Com 3C509A Ethernet Card. This card is not listed in
the list that appears when you choose NFS Image installation. I tried
going through by choosing others 3Com choices (like 3C501) but it did not
work. How can I get my card to work for the installation ?

Second question :

Supposing I get the first problem fixed (I'm being optimistic :-)) I
wonder about something. The machine I will be using to offer the NFS
share currently connects to the Internet through a cable modem and DCHP.
So I wonder if I can just unplug it from the cable and into the
destination machine for the installation to work. Won't there be some
configuration to do like maybe specifying an adress for the host machine
?

Thanks in advance for your answers