Linux-Misc Digest #492, Volume #26                Thu, 7 Dec 00 22:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Slightly out!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Xircom RealPort CardBus RBEM56G ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to list all files owned by a user (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: removing strange dir ~ ("Garry Knight")
  Re: Disaster recovery info (John Hasler)
  kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Another Sendmail Question (Cliff Sarginson)
  Re: Another Sendmail Question (Cliff Sarginson)
  Re: Getting a list of new file from several directories (Floyd Davidson)
  Re: microemacs 4.00 port? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2 (Wayne Watson)
  Re: Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2 ("Richard M. Denney")
  Re: Backup solution at Linux ("Richard M. Denney")
  Re: Getting a list of new file from several directories (Dances With Crows)
  Re: How do you get multicast through firewall? ("John Janusson")
  Compiling DOSEMU 1.0.1 on Red Hat 7 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Intruders or What? (R.A.Berman CCSC)
  Re: Intruders or What? (R.A.Berman CCSC)
  Re: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo (David)
  Re: Gnome and KDE (David)
  Re: Internet Security Basics for Linux (David)
  Font Help (Greg Kuntz)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Slightly out!!!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:01:57 GMT

Hi,

This seems to be a hard problem (for newbies). I beneficied of helps of
some people but have stil some problems, particularly for communicating
two mail servers.
I have mail relay in DMZ and mail server in LAN.

[internet]-----[Routeur]-----[DMZ]----[Firewall]-----[LAN]

without setting a firewall all work fine. But when setting firewall, I
can only sent (outcoming messages), but no incoming ones can reach to
me. My relay does not stock messages, it forward them directly to the
local mail one.

Is a simular fierwall with only two cards is appropriated?
Can it communicate in the two senses (in/out)?
What I must doing in order to let it works in the two sense?

Thanks for any helps.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Xircom RealPort CardBus RBEM56G ???
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:08:07 GMT

I do not know if this is late and you already have the help but...

try this link:
http://www.xircom.com/cda/page/1,1298,0-0-1_20-476,00.html
They have a set ot beta drivers out for it so you milage may vary...

Rich

In article <OEaYfkVWAHA.278@cpmsnbbsa07>,
  "Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if Linux supports a Xircom RealPort CardBus
Ethernet

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to list all files owned by a user
Date: 07 Dec 2000 13:22:03 -0900

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  find / -user uname \! -type d -printf "%5dk  %h/%f\n"

Typo alert:  "%5kk ...\n" is the format string.

--
Floyd L. Davidson         <http://www.ptialaska.net/~floyd>
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Garry Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: removing strange dir ~
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:30:28 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> David wrote:
>>
>> John Hunter wrote:
>> >
>> > In a subdirectory of my home directory, the '~' shows up on an ls.

>> find / -name "*~" -exec rm -f {} \;

> Scary action. I would never advise anyone a command like this.

Especially when mc (Midnight Commander) does the job at a keypress.

--
Garry Knight

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery info
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:22:49 GMT

Neil Montgomery writes:
> The only remaining question would be, *if* I had kept the details of the
> old partitions (such as is recommended in "Running Linux"), could I have
> rescued my system by hand?

Probably.  Partitioning does not change anything except the partition
table.  You could have created new partitions identical to the old ones
and, assuming that Windows didn't scribble on the disk, your files would
have reappeared.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:09:39 +0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo

Does anybody know how to get rid of the redhat logo when using kdm, or
xdm as a graphical login using Redhat 6.2 ?

Ive looked everywhere through the /etc/X11/xdm files, and any others I
have found that may be relavent but to no avail.

------------------------------

From: Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Another Sendmail Question
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:44:34 +0100

Peter T. Breuer posited:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > re-formatted two more times with the same results.  Sendmail loads fine
> > with
> > no errors [OK]. It just will not receive e-mail.  Any ideas?  Thanks for
> > any
>
> Configure it. It needs at least to know your host name and domainname
> as well as to BE RUNNING. If you do not understand what those two words
> mean, I strongly suggest you ask yourself before you ask me!
>
> Peter
And I strongly suggest Peter that if you dont want to be asked, then dont
reply instead of being pointlessly rude tand insulting to someone.

Cliff

--
no NAUGHTYSPAM if you email me :)

------------------------------

From: Cliff Sarginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:53:03 +0100

John Todd posited:

> If ps -ax shows sendmail receiving on port 25 (showing its running),
> make sure that network service is running.
>

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:39:17 -0800, Lamar Thomas
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I installed RH Linux 6.2 at home a few weeks ago (I am new to Linux) and
> >Sendmail was working right out of the box! I could send AND receive
> >e-mail. Then I wanted to re-install Linux just for the fun of it. So I
> >re-formatted my drive and started again. I took the same options, however
> >this time Sendmail didn't work (I could SEND mail out but I could not
> >receive mail). I
> >re-formatted two more times with the same results.  Sendmail loads fine
> >with
> >no errors [OK]. It just will not receive e-mail.  Any ideas?  Thanks for
> >any help.
> >
> >Lamar

Ok. Forget the reformatting, this has nothing to do with that and that wont
help.
Clearly the setup the second time round is not the same as the first time !
See first if you can connect to your sendmail process locally, try:

telnet localhost 25

You should see a greeting line, if you do, then sendmail is there waiting
for connections. (quit will get you out of it). If you dont get a
connection then sendmail is probably not running.

I am only vaguely familiar with Redhat, I tried using it but frankly found
it a pain for various OT reasons. I recall that linuxconf tries to help
with the setup, so you could try carefully going through that.

Can you receive local mail ?

... I believ there may be example .mc files in the sendmail directory. It
is worth your while learning how sendmail can be configured. Unless you are
a masochist you definitely do not want to get involved with the sendmail
config file directly, and you shouldnt need to (the definitive reference
book on sendmail is 1100 pages long). Read up on this a bit.

Good luck

Cliff

From: Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting a list of new file from several directories
Date: 07 Dec 2000 14:04:01 -0900

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan de Haan) wrote:
>Is there a way that I can get a sorted list of all the files in one
>driectory, and all its subs that were created in the last two months?
>

>If possbale I would like to have thislist sorted by date.
>
>I though that I gould use ls, sort and grep, but I can't figure this
>one out.
>
>               -Dan

Here is a script which does that.  It takes either one or
optionally two arguments.  The first argument is manditory, and
is the user name whose files will be listed.  The second arg is
the directory to look at, and if not given will default to the
current directory.  As written, the "-mtime -60" option to
"find" means it will list all files that have been changed in
the past 60 days.  It does not list directories.

Output is formatted as:

  2000/12/05 07:33:36     10k  ./foo

#!/bin/sh

if [ -z $1 ]; then
  echo "usage:  $0  uname  [ directory ]"
  exit 1
fi

find $2 -user $1 \
\! -type d -mtime -60 \
-printf "%TY/%Tm/%Td %TH:%TM:%TS  %5kk  %h/%f\n" |
sort

#end of script

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: microemacs 4.00 port?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 23:50:38 GMT

Try the MicroEmacs available from

    http://www.jasspa.com

This is a varient of MicroEmacs. Has a native X-Windows
interface, integral speller, hilighting etc. I suggest
that you take the "alpha" release on the site. This runs
fine despite being marked as alpha. Should just build
and run on Linux. Will also build an run on windows
using MS-DEV or the free borland compiler.

Regards
BFM.

From: Wayne Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:32:35 -0800

Is it possible to create a rescue diskette for RH 6.2? It appears that I cannot get my
machine to
boot up from the RH 6.2 CD-ROM. The boot diskette supplied seems to want to install
the software
again when I try to use 'linux rescue' and in any case fails when I try to access the
CD-ROM. It's
an old device, AHA-1520 Adaptek. It seems like there ought to be a supplied diskette
that does not
try to re-install.

--
                         "You guys line up alphabetically by height."
                          -- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

                                            Wayne T. Watson
                       Web Page: http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view (Updated 6/21/2000)
                       Imaginarium Science Museum:
                       http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view/imaginarium.html

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:40:49 -0600
From: "Richard M. Denney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Creating a Rescue Diskette for RH 6.2

Wayne Watson wrote:

> Is it possible to create a rescue diskette for RH 6.2? It appears that I cannot get
>my machine to
> boot up from the RH 6.2 CD-ROM. The boot diskette supplied seems to want to install
>the software
> again when I try to use 'linux rescue' and in any case fails when I try to access
>the CD-ROM. It's
> an old device, AHA-1520 Adaptek. It seems like there ought to be a supplied diskette
>that does not
> try to re-install.
>
> --
>                          "You guys line up alphabetically by height."
>                           -- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach
>
>                                             Wayne T. Watson
>                        Web Page: http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view (Updated 6/21/2000)
>                        Imaginarium Science Museum:
>                        http://www.sirius.com/~mtn_view/imaginarium.html

You can create diskette that will boot onto your system by:

mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.2.12

(This assumes your floppy diskette is in /dev/fd0 and your kernel version is 2.2.12.
Change as
appropriate.)

Rick Denney

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:42:05 -0600
From: "Richard M. Denney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Backup solution at Linux

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

> Carfield Yim wrote:
> >
> > I used to use Windows, now I change to linux.
> > When using Windows, I like to use a tool call disk copy to backup my
> > windows partition. Although it is quite expensive to do so but it worth,
> > and save me a lot of time from backup and restore when system have
> > problem. Is there are similar tool at linux? Or any other suggestion?
>
> I think the best way, if you do not wish to purchase commercial
> software such as BRU, is to use a shell script with find and cpio in
> it. Have cron schedule it to run when you are asleep so it does not
> get in your way and so you do not annoy it.
>
> --
>  .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
>  /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
> /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey
> ^^-^^ 3:45pm up 3 days, 34 min, 3 users, load average: 4.25, 3.90,
> 3.83

I do the same thing with find and afio...

Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 8 Dec 2000 01:11:08 GMT

On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:03:35 GMT, Dan de Haan
staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>Is there a way that I can get a sorted list of all the files in one
>driectory, and all its subs that were created in the last two months?
>
>If possbale I would like to have thislist sorted by date.
>
>I though that I gould use ls, sort and grep, but I can't figure this
>one out.

cd directory
find . -mtime -60 -printf "%A@ %h%f %t\n" | sort -rn

Ignore the wonky number in the front of each line, or just use cut or
awk to get rid of it.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "John Janusson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: How do you get multicast through firewall?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:22:55 GMT

Have a look at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/tips/firewall/firewallservice.html
JJ
Send me no Email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have a Linux kernel 2.2.12 firewall with a private network using
> masquerading. I would like to initiate (IGMP) and pass through multicast
> packets from inside the private network. Can anyone advise on IPCHAINS or
IP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Compiling DOSEMU 1.0.1 on Red Hat 7
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:59:50 GMT

Hi all,

I'm attempting to build DOSEMU 1.0.1 on a stock Red Hat 7 system. I have
to build a custom patched version of DOSEMU so that I can play old DOS
games with working sound. However, when I try to run the configuration
script, I get the following message:

checking for glibc..../default-configure: min)
2 > 1 : syntax error in expression (error token is ")
2 > 1 ")

After the configuration is finished, I'm unable to build DOSEMU because
of this hiccup.

Has anyone else attempted to build DOSEMU on Red Hat 7?

Thanks!

--Sacred Ring

From: R.A.Berman CCSC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intruders or What?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:30:02 -0000

john slimick wrote:

> One of our lab machines was
> configured with RH 6.2 --
> CPU is Cyrix 233.
>
> On November 5 I found a barely
> operable system -- httpd and the
> printer daemon had been shut off
> and several /var/log files had
> been deleted. There were three
> accounts in /passwd that I did
> not recognize; These were
> deleted.  I restored with
> 6.2, but could not get XWindows
> to work for ordinary users.
>
> Tonight, December 5, I found a
> dead lpd, httpd, console mouse,
> and Xfont. No new accounts this
> timei, but the log files were
> mostly gone. I restored with RH 6.0,
> but this time I did reformat
> /usr -- but since this is
> the end of the
> semester I cannot yet reformat
> / and /home. Same problem with
> XWindows -- they work great for
> root, but not ordinary users,
> apparently because Xfont idaemon isn't
> there (some file is missing on startup).
>
> I find it odd that it happened
> on November 5 and December 5.
> Can anyone provide some thoughts
> on what might be happening here?
>
> john slimick
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ha, Dude, what you have stated is a very scary scenario, if true , it may
mean a LinuX ( Cyber-Punk ) Hack Attack, even though we do use LinuX OS and
OOP ( RH, CAl, KDE, Gnome ) also UNIX ( 3-D HOLIX ) I believe this could be
a time to reconsider LinuX as being a "Safe Harbor" from such
harmful destructive conditions.

So you might try our way, an un-hackable UNIX ( 3-D~HOLIX ) developed from
a UNIX/LinuX derivative, designed from a Open GL SGI platform, based on a
three dimensional Euclidian AI netmapping based on Holographic processing,
i.e. a HOLO~Net Map.

If you want the answer, go to IP Ad http://holix.airweb.net or URL
http://www.genaltered.com .

The HyTDRA Hacker/2600c

From: R.A.Berman CCSC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:30:03 -0000

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.kde
Subject: Re: kdm (or xdm) & redhat logo
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 20:40:20 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Does anybody know how to get rid of the redhat logo when using kdm, or
> xdm as a graphical login using Redhat 6.2 ?
>
> Ive looked everywhere through the /etc/X11/xdm files, and any others I
> have found that may be relavent but to no avail.

Install Helix-Gnome.

http://www.helixcode.com/desktop/download.php3

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more work units than 98.870% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Gnome and KDE
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:01:41 -0600

dom wrote:

> Gnome is pretty darn buggy on my mandrake 7.1 distro, to the point where I
> even try to avoid gnome apps in other window managers. Is this just me or is
> it the general performance of gnome out there?

You might want to upgrade to helix-gnome

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet Security Basics for Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:03:27 -0600

http://www.enteract.com/~lspitz/linux.html

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/index-linux.html

From: Greg Kuntz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat
Subject: Font Help
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:46:51 GMT

I have a  NEC-Versa 6200 MMX with the Chipset CT65550.  I seem to have a
problem defining the monitor to the Xwindows.

Pictures seem ok....  but the text is terrrible.   That goes for
everything, netscape, star-office, xterm.....  The text is almost
unreadable.

I notice when I startx it says monitor not found.

Or I may just need to change the system font.  How do you do that ???
The font problem is only under x-windows.

Any suggestions ?????

Thanks in Advance.

Greg