From: "David Quinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fax server - efax
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 16:09:59 +0100

I am trying to setup a fax server with efax but have hit a problem:

I can fax using 'fax send xxxxxxxx /testfax' (where xxxxxxxx is the
telephone number and /testfax is a simple test text file.  However, if I try
to use the fax as a print server using 'lpr -P fax -J xxxxxxxx /testfax'
nothing happens.  I can't find any log files that tell me what's happened
and no error messages occur.  I just issue the command and then get the
prompt back again.

I have the following in the /etc/printcap file :

    fax:/ :
                :lp=/dev/null:\
                :sd=/var/spool/fax:\
                :if=/usr/bin/faxlpr:

I have the /var/spool/fax directory setup and have set up the permissions as
per the fax printer server mini-HOWTO i.e.:

chmod 777 /var/spool/fax
chkmod 644 /var/spool/fax/lock
chmod 666 /dev/modem
chmod 777 /var/lock

The efax package used was efax-0.9-4.i386.rpm obtained from RedHat's site.

Can anyone point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

David Quinn

------------------------------

From: Fung Wai Keung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fail in upgrading glibc RPM package
Date: 8 Sep 2000 15:14:46 GMT

Hi all,

I finally have my libc upgraded.  Thank you very much for all your help.

: : I can't mount my floppy!!  Even the file /dev/fd0 doesn't exist.  After I
: : creat it with mknod and mount floppy, I get

: : bash# mount /mnt/floppy

: Wrong command.  Use

:    mkdir -p /mnt/floppyA
:    mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppyA

I use RedHat 6.o rescue disk.  /dev/fd0 exists in this version.

: : EXT2-fs: 02:00: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features.

: You are trying to load an ext2fs. Don't. Use vfat. And check that the
: floppy is not already in use. Read your kernel messages in the syslog.

: The error comes from the fs search, apparantly, so you know your floppy
: is there. Be explicit about the file system type.

: : But, I can find an /dev/fd0 entry in /etc/fstab.

: And what does it say? If it's for ext2fs, change it (or better, ignore
: it, as above).

: : : It probably appears when you need it, if you are using devfs.

: : What is devfs?

: automagical /dev directory.

: : : If not, the answer is: use a different rescue disk or dump it in the dos
: : : partition using a dos boot disk.

: : I only have linux partitions.

: So use a different rescue disk.

: Or load a linux partition reader/writer on your dos floppy. There are
: plenty out there. The "ltools" spring to mind.

: And please give us more data.  I can't read the syslog from here!  It
: strikes me that you are giving the wrong parameters to the rescue disk,
: for example, which may result in your floppy device being used as the
: root fs. You don't want that at all!

: Peter

Wai Keung, Fung

Department of Automation and Computer Aided Engineering,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,
Hong Kong

Tel: (852)26098056      Fax: (852)26036002
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: text colors in linux-mandrake 7.0
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:28:51 GMT

How do I change text colors in linux mandrake 7.0 ?
Whenever I go into drakconf(linuxconf on rh 6.0-6.1)the text color
is a crappy yellow which is hard to read on the grey background.
If it is easier to change the background color I will do that.
                                       Thanks.
                                       George

"To soar with eagles was once a dream-now we dream for more eagles."

From: RJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dedicated UT server vs. Win32 dedicated server ?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:28:52 GMT

Hi Frank,

You'll probably find that NT alone, without anything else running, won't
run at an acceptible speed on a P133 with 64Meg of RAM.  I'd say,
stick with Linux.  The OS itself can be made much more trim than NT.

As far Linux's network stack goes, you probably won't find NT's to be
any faster.  Especially not with the limited hardware you're working
with.

Regards,
RJ

Frank Hofmann wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a UT dedicated linuxserver at home. The hardware is not the
fastest,
> but it works good for me and my friends. We can play with 2 human
players
> and 4 bots. The server is a P133, 64 MB EDO Ram on an Iwill
P54TS Board with
> an 3c900B XT 10/100 Networking Card. Do not laugh about the fast
CPU :-)

> Ok, I would known if a NT Server configured on the same machine
with a Win32
> UT dedicated server is as fast as the linux server who is installed at
the
> moment. Who needs more system memory. The NT or the
Linuxserver ? Who has

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: Acroread - pdf reader
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:40:06 GMT

Julian Midgley wrote:

>>>The ones that I've downloaded from Adobe have always worked.
>>
>>I've had the same problems with Acroread on certain machines.  So far
>>as I can tell, they are caused by acroread not liking screen modes
>>with fewer than 32bpp (or, at the very least, not liking 24bpp
>>modes).
>
>I don't remember acroread specifically having that problem, but
>it's not uncommon for X apps to fail at 24bpp.  WP8 and
>Netscape both had problems at 24.  They all seem to work fine
>at 8, 16, and 23 bpp.

I am using a 16 bpp screen and don't have problems with any version of
Acroread.  In fact, the reason for the 16 bpp is WP8 has problems with
the higher resolutions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: Clicking Two buttons on Logitech Locks up X (RH6.2 Enlightenment)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 15:43:33 GMT

On Thu, 07 Sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I installed RH 6.2 over 6.0 and upgraded the kernel to 2.4.0-test7,
>still using the default
>Enlightenment WM. I've got a Logitech mouseman on a PS/2 port. If I
>click both the left and
>right buttons at the same time, X locks up and will not respond to mouse
>clicks. I have to
>CTRL-ALT-BS to restart it and then it works again. I've tried everything
>I could think of
>in XF86Config Pointer section and the following is the only one I tried
>where the mouse works
>at all, but with this problem.
>

>Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol    "PS/2"
>    Device      "/dev/mouse"
>    Buttons     3
>    BaudRate   1200
>EndSection

Try inserting "Emulate3Button" to above.

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Script Kiddies?
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:43:22 GMT

Bill Peacock writes:
> script kiddies are hackers that use scripts (all types) to hack into
> systems/

No.  Script-kiddies are not hackers of any sort, nor are they crackers.
Script-kiddies use scripts written by crackers to break into and vandalize
systems (they aren't smart enough to figure it out themselves).  Hackers
write software.  Linus is a hacker.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Lilo removal from mbr
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 12:39:09 GMT

Anita writes:
> lilo -u or lilo -U will write the saved copy of the mbr back to it.  I'm
> not sure, but I think that if you had lilo in the mbr and then ran lilo
> again, your copy of the mbr would be that of the first lilo install.  I
> don't know for sure, but I would think that each time lilo runs it stores
> a copy of the current mbr.

Lilo will not overwrite an existing save file (unless you tell it to with
-S).  No matter how many times you run lilo, 'lilo -u' will restore the MBR
to the way it was before you first ran lilo.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ~user  www directories needed
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 11:58:25 -0400

Enable the UserDir directive in your httpd.conf file, and restart
apache.  Now any URL of http://your.host/~user/  will serve files
from /home/user/public_html.  (Assuming that's where the user's home
directory is.)

Note this is risky, especially if you enable cgi access from there.
You seem to need a good book on securing and implementing your web
site if you don't have one.  I'm sure there's lots of opinions,
but Lincoln Stein's "How to set up and maintain a web site" is good.

As I understand it, servlets must be placed in a particular directory,
unlike cgi programs which can be placed anywhere (with the proper
configuration).  Unless you're willing to give your users full access
to sensitive files, and each other's servlets, you should have them
ask you to install servlets (and probably cgi too!) for them.

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:10:41 -0400

How come in all the years this FAQ have been coming up, nobody has
written a Linux utility that would do the same thing as a DOS boot
floppy with DOS fdisk.exe/MBR?  Is there some propriety/secret software
involved, or what?

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: PoD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: buffer_dirty  -  what's the @#$%?
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2000 01:48:07 +0930

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Ian Dichkovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > 1. insert floppy
> > 2. mount floppy
> > 3. copy from floppy
> > 4. umount floppy
> > 5. remove floppy
>
> Linux caches its writes. The copy from floppy may not be complete unless
> you wait after step 3. Also, the programme may try to write to the floppy
> to update the time stamp (indicating the last time the file on the floppy
> was accessed) (if you interrupt it while it is writing to the fat
> sector(s) on the floppy, it will probably not just be a bad time stamp)
> and if you interrupt while it is writing to the floppy the record on the
> floppy may be faulty.
>
> After step 3 you can wait.
> After step 3 you can force a buffer write using "sync"
>
> Mounting the floppy as read only (which was another suggestion) should
> prevent the system from trying to update the floppy record (if you are
> copying from the floppy instead of to it and as long as the file is
> completely read into memory it can later write to the hard disk).
>
> On a system which caches writes you cannot just give a write command and
> remove the media (and copying from a read/write floppy may involve a write
> command to update the last access time). You have to ensure that the
> command is finished.
>
> A dirty buffer message indicates an incomplete result.

Shouldn't umount automatically sync before it exits?

------------------------------

From: Ronald Holzloehner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: File sychronizing tool, performance graph tool
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 12:21:00 -0400

Hi,

 I have two questions:

1) I need a tool to synchronize files between my computer at work and at
home. It should work like this: I give it a list of files/directories
that are present on both machines and to be sync'ed. Upon connection
(56k modem), the utility compares modification times for each listed
file and updates whichever is older. I looked at cvs, but don't like it
very much for this purpose (some of my files are pretty big, I don't
like having to 'commit' all the time, some of the files are binary and
don't like cvs tags etc. etc.) Any ideas?

2) I once used a performance meter tool under X, it showed CPU usage,
memory, disk i/o, network i/o etc. as moving graphs. Not the bar graph
type a la xosview, but a curve over time. I can't seem to remember its
name or find it in /usr/bin/X11.

Thanks,
Ron

--
Ronald Holzloehner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Where is setenv in Red Hat 6.2?
Date: 8 Sep 2000 16:25:36 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fester) writes:
]Not sure if VARIABLE=value by itself works, but I *know* that:

YEs, it does in bash

]export VARIABLE=value

This assignes the variable AND exxports it so that subshells will be
handed the value as set.
Note that
VARIABLE=value
export VARIABLE
does the same thing.

]works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: pppd wants remote sysyem to authenticate
Date: 8 Sep 2000 16:28:00 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Martin) writes:

]On 8 Sep 2000 00:54:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote:

]>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Martin) writes:
]>
]>>I'm just installing Red Hat. When I connect to my ISP I get as far as
]>>the stream of babble from their ppp but then disconnect. pppd log
]>>says:
]>>The remote system is required to autenticate itself but I couldn't
]>>find any secret (password) which would let it use an IP address.
]>
]>Put
]>noauth
]>into /etc/ppp/options

]Thankyou Bill. That's what I did and it worked. Is auth the default?

It is the default if you have a default route set on your ethernet card.

]>put
]>route del default
]>into /etc/rc.d/rc.local (at the end)
]>
]I just did this. I'm not sure I noticed a difference. What does it
]accomplish?

It gets rid of the default route on the ethernet set up by the system on
bootup. Note that this will only work next time you boot up. If you want
to get rid of the default route now, sign on as root and run that
command.
]Regards,
]Greg Martin.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting disconnected
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:28:50 GMT

I am getting very frustrated with my computer. It is a COMPAQ that I
purchased in January of this year. It has worked beautifully and still
does except for one problem. I can get on-line and stay on all day long
and not get booted off once. As soon as 6pm comes I can't stay connected.
It boots me off continuously. I counted the other night, 22 times in 18
mins. I'm trying to chat and it boots me off. I have called my internet
server and they told me my modem is going bad. If thats the case, why
doesn't it do it during the day? It only does it at night. I have gotten
up at 2am to try it and it does it then also.It is then o.k. again after
6am. Do you have any ideas or suggestions to help me?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 8 Sep 2000 16:30:57 GMT

In <8pa5ks$qut$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Greg Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]: On 8 Sep 2000 00:54:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh) wrote:
]:>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Greg Martin) writes:
]:>put
]:>route del default
]:>into /etc/rc.d/rc.local (at the end)
]:>
]: I just did this. I'm not sure I noticed a difference. What does it
]: accomplish?

]It allows ppp to establish a default route (via ppp0) on connect.

]I don't know if there is a ppp directive that allows an existing
]default route to be overridden and then reestablished on disconnect.
]That would be nice. Shades of ifup/ifdown, perhaps ...

No, there is not. pppd will not replace a default route. However you can
do so if you wish by using ip-up.local and ip-down.local to put up and
take down a default route through ppp0.

But why would you want to? Just put in an explicit route for your home
or work system, instead of using default.
route add -net 192.168.0.0 eth0

------------------------------

From: The Darkener <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Don't mind me, just whining.. =)
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:32:41 GMT

DOS sucks. =p

I had a really cool setup on my laptop (Debian Slink w/blackbox, cool
theme, everything working well) and I decide I wanted to throw DOS on
there so I could fire up some old apps I might need (Dosemu just doesn't
cut it), so I resize my /home partition and leave about 100mb free space
on the drive.  Fire up DOS setup boot disk, and it says it needs to
"configure your hard drive for DOS" (ummm, partition it??).  "Ok!" I say
and merrily let it.  BAM! Wiped out all my other partitions (Even my
freakin' phpdisk partition!!) and used the whole damn thing for Fat16.
BLAH, I say!  And I thought DOS didn't recognize ext2 partitions so it
couldn't deal with them, I guess in that case it just wipes out the
partition table all together.  I spent most of my night last night
getting Debian back on there (after of course, putting DOS on there
FIRST this time).  Argh. =)  Anyone have a reasonable explanation for
this? =) Maybe just to make me feel better?

Also, one quick question, in Debian (Slink anyway, don't know about
other versions), Lilo doesn't seem to allow any keyboard input at all at
the prompt.  This is probably something really easy and I should just
RTFM, but since I'm whining, thought I'd throw that out there for anyone
who cares to answer. =)

Later.
--
- The Darkener
It is pitch black.  You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

From: "James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie: DOSEMU floppy images
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 11:39:35 -0500

Can someone tell me how to setup my dosemu.conf file so that it uses a file
as my A drive instead of /dev/fd0.  I don't want to boot from A: I just want
to use a disk image file so that things go faster.  Any suggestions.  Thanks
alot.