Linux-Misc Digest #700, Volume #26                Wed, 3 Jan 01 17:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: Multiple e-mail "identities" under a single Linux user account? (Eduardo Chappa)
  Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps (Bill Hudson)
  X include (Rafiq Mateen)
  Re: source for rtsp proxy (Erik de Castro Lopo)
  Trouble with inetd or something. (Jean-David Beyer)
  Wacom tablet - XF86Config ("Gerald Pollack")
  Re: qmail, popmail and webmail (count0)
  3rd Brunswick Linux-Days (Matthias Grimm)
  Re: lying to dselect / dpkg ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Debian : gcc/libtool broken. How to fix? (Erik de Castro Lopo)
  Re: Reinstall Win98 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: New Redhat install issues?? (Leonard Evens)
  Re: StartOffice on RH 7.0 (David)
  Re: DVD software for Linux yet? (Rod Smith)
  Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98. (Leonard Evens)
  Re: Need to Reinstall Windows 98 (Leonard Evens)
  Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI (Ralph Sokel)
  Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1 (R.Joseph)
  Re: Can't install RH 6.2 on ATA66??? (Lucien)

From: Eduardo Chappa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Multiple e-mail "identities" under a single Linux user account?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:57:31 -0800

*** kristian ragndahl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote in comp.os.linux.mi...:

:) : Don't know if Balsa can do this; but surely `Pine Roles' are
:) : what you're looking for! If you don't mind text based tools, try
:) : pine http://www.washington.edu/pine/ and its roles support.
:)
:) You can't change "outgoing mail server" with roles in Pine.

That's true, but in recent versions of Pine you can list all your SMTP
servers under the smtp-server configuration option and Pine will use the
first one that will aloow it to send the message. Not that effective as
the poster is asking but will still work.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

------------------------------

From: Bill Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps
Date: 03 Jan 2001 20:11:30 GMT

José Manuel Benítez Sánchez wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I would greatly thank your help with this problem I've run through.
>     I'm administering a machine running Linux Red Hat 6.2. They've been
> running ok for a long while. Then, due to some recently discovered
> security holes I updated the kernel to the latest stable release
> (namely, 2.2.18). So I downloaded the sources, unpacked, configured,
> compiled and installed the brand new kernel. So far so good. Everything
> was doing all right. Well, not so. I've found network is not going on so
> well.
>     Right after booting everything is fine. But very soon afterwards the
> network services to the machine start decaying.  While I can do usual
> telnet, ftp and rlogin, I prefer ssh. But after the kernel update, ssh
> connections to the updated machine take an eternity to get on. That, in
> the case I finally success loging in. Then if I start any remote X
> Window application, the host will create the process (ps tells it) but
> no window is showed remotely.  Nothing has been changed in the client
> machines, so the problem must be on the server, because everyuthing was
> fine before. I haven't been able to find out much about why. All the
> syslog is dumping in the messages file are messages like:
> --------
> Jan  3 20:01:32 condor pam_console[802]: can't find device or X11 socket
> to examine for 1
> --------
>
> The same problem arises if I connect through telnet or rlogin and then
> set DISPLAY (and xhost in the client machine): the application won't
> work.
>
>     Worst, after some time running every network service in the server
> is down. I mean, it doesn't asnwer telnet, nor ftp, in some cases, not
> even a simple ping.
>     That's the problem. I would thank whatever suggestion on things to
> check or try. I cannot figure out what's wrong, since I have NOT changed
> neither the hardware nor the operating system setup.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Greetings!

I had a similar problem with the 2.2.17 kernel.  I fell back to the last
RedHat-issued kernel RPM which is (IIRC) 2.2.16.

--
Bill Hudson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rafiq Mateen)
Subject: X include
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:31:01 GMT

I get an error message during kwintv install saying it doesn't know
where it is and to set the correct path.  Where is X includes at and
what does it do?

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: source for rtsp proxy
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:33:26 GMT

Eric Headley wrote:

> Where can I get the source for a rtsp proxy ?

There's two that I know of, one in C and one in Python.

For the Python one, try:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=rtsp+proxy+python

The C version was written by RealNetworks

     http://www.google.com/search?q=rtsp+proxy+realnetworks

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yes its valid)
"I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source
code than 10 minutes listening to Musak waiting for technical
support which isn't."
   - Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble with inetd or something.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:51:08 -0500

Last Sunday morning my machine crashed at about 9:35AM. I could not
figure out why, but it seems to crash once in a while when I either
dial-up my ISP or end the connection to my ISP. I rebooted OK, but now I
have started getting the following message in my /var/log/messages every
10 minutes:

Dec 31 09:46:01 valinux inetd[374]: swat/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Jan  3 14:56:44 valinux inetd[374]: swat/tcp: bind: Address already in
use
Jan  3 15:06:44 valinux inetd[374]: swat/tcp: bind: Address already in
use

This happens 24/7, and since I have only dial-up access to the Internet,
I infer that it is not a direct attack from outside my system, if it is
an attack at all. On the other hand, I do not know where to start on
this. I hate to use the Windows-Reboot-Expedient, though I suppose I
could do that. But I have no reason to believe it would accomplish
anything beneficial, and in any case, it would not add to my
understanding.

valinux is the name of this machine. PID 374 is inetd (no surprise).

/etc/services says:
swat     901/tcp         # Add swat service used via inetd

There is no other 901 in that file.

/etc/inetd.conf says:
swat      stream  tcp     nowait.400      root /usr/sbin/swat swat

The only non-comment lines in /etc/hosts.allow are:

ALL : LOCAL
in.identd : hiway1.exit109.com touchl.localdomain

and my /etc/hosts.deny says:

ALL: ALL

Also, swat is just to configure Samba from Netscape and I am not even
using it at the moment, since I do not need to reconfigure it much (if
at all). The last time I changed /etc/smb.conf was 2000 October 12, and
these messages just started at the end of December. swat is not running.

I am mystified.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: "Gerald Pollack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wacom tablet - XF86Config
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:54:30 GMT

I'm attempting to get my system (XFree86 3.3.2) to recognize a wacom
graphics tablet (ET 0405-R). I've followed instructions in the
Wacom-Tablet-HOWTO for setting up the "Module" and "XInput" sections of
/etc/XF86Config (reproduced below), but I'm stumped on the "Pointer" section. Can
someone tell me what that should look like? I.e., what is the pointer
device, and what is the protocol? (I've tried several permutations,
without success).

G. Pollack
Dept. of Biology, McGill Univ.

 Section "Module"
  # Wacom Device Driver
  Load "xf86Wacom.so"
  EndSection

Section "XInput"
# Settings for Wacom pen
SubSection "WacomStylus"    # type of input device
Port "/dev/ttyS0"         # Serial Port
DeviceName "Pen1"         # Name, choose it free
#Baudrate 9600             # Usable only for intuos
Mode Absolute             # Map Tablet Area to Screen
AlwaysCore                # See text
HistorySize 200           # Buffer size for motion events
EndSubSection

# Settings for Wacom eraser
SubSection "WacomEraser"    # type of input device
Port "/dev/ttyS0"         # Serial Port
DeviceName "Eraser1"      # Name, choose it free
#Baudrate 9600             # Usable only for intuos
Mode Absolute             # Map Tablet Area to Screen
AlwaysCore                # See text
HistorySize 200           # Buffer size for motion events
EndSubSection

# Settings for Wacom cursor (mouse)
SubSection "WacomCursor"    # type of input device
Port "/dev/ttyS0"         # Serial Port
DeviceName "Cursor"       # Name, choose it free

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (count0)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: qmail, popmail and webmail
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:55:03 GMT

NIMS 2.6, because it kicks ass

www.nimsinfo.com

------------------------------

From: Matthias Grimm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3rd Brunswick Linux-Days
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:58:08 +0100

                      3. Brunswick  Linux-Days
                       on 4th to 6th May 2001
                       in Brunswick,  Germany

                    with the developer conference
                 "Linux for industrial applications"

                         Call for papers

As in the past two years the Brunswick Linux-Days will take
place again in 2001. On the first weekend in Mai many friends
of Linux are expected, regional and from afar, either to hear
about the latest developments or simply to get the idea of
Linux. There will be a large variety of workshops, life
demonstrations, exhibitions and presentations on GNU, Linux
and Free Software.

This year the Brunswick Linux-Days will embrace the developer
conference "Linux for industrial applications" where engineers
and other interested people from research and development could
present and discuss their latest projects and solutions. Possible
fields are medical technologie, biotechnologie, process engineering,
analysis, etc.

Would you, as an expert and experienced Linux user, like to share
and discuss your experiences with like-minded people, to present your
current project to an interested audience, or would you simply like
to enthuse people for Linux?

We are looking for speakers and workshop tutors for the 3. Brunswick
Linux-Days and the developer conference. The show wants to offer the
whole spectrum from the absolute beginner's level up to the experienced
user and professional. Due to increasing importance of free software
for the society also non technical talks are welcome. There is no
limit in the variety of topics.

Please send your abstract (20 lines à 80 characters) to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Kindly include the following
details:

- title of your talk/presentation
- your full name
- your postal and email address and telephone number
- main focus
- level: beginners, users or professionals
- necessary aids: computer, overhead projector etc.

For each talk/presentation we have scheduled 55 minutes including time
for questions and discussion. In case you are in need of some extra
time for a complex topic or a workshop, please contact the
organizer-team for an individual solution. In that case please remark
your time requirements in your abstract.

Beside a large program of talks, an exibition will take place. If
you are interested in presenting your products there, please send an
email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] to get comprehensive
information.

Linux benefits from all those enthusiastic people who have pushed
it forward and had a part in its great success. For private speakers
we offer the possibility of refunding traveling costs. If you need
accomodation, please feel free to ask for help and advice.

You are invited to have a look on our web page for the latest news:
      http://braunschweiger.linuxtage.de/

Or subscribe to our mailing list:
      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

We are looking forward to your contributions

Matthias Grimm & Robert Schwebel
Members of the organizer-team

Deadlines:
- Please send your shorthand by 1st February 2001
- Authors will be notified of acceptance by 10th of February 2001
- Please send your complete script by 10th March 2001
- 3. Brunswick Linux-Days: 4th to 6th May 2001
- developers conference: 4th to 5th May 2001

Important email addresses:

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lying to dselect / dpkg
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:47:28 +0100

Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If I want to install a piece of software (e.g. sendmail) using a
> source tarball instead of using a .deb package, is there anyway that I
> can tell dselect that sendmail *is* installed so that it doesn't try
> to uninstall mutt, mailx etc. every time it is run?

Sure. You can edit the database any which way you like. But why bother?
Turn the .tgz into a .deb first with alien.

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Subject: Re: DVD software for Linux yet?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 21:46:37 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You can write a free dvd-decoder. But if it decodes css, making this
> software costs you a license fee. If you can or want to pay the license and

No it doesn't. You can write any code you like. Nobody can patent an
algorithm (except in the US, but then they're crazy).

> then distribute the software, its OK. But as long as you obtain the
> decryption keys by ripping, stealing or reverse engineering, I don't
> consider it OK in any way. The license costs 10000 dollars and there are no

Reverse engineering is perfectly legal (again, I have no idea what the
US thinks on the matter).

> per-product royalties. If a company pays this and then someone takes
> advantage of it for free, its stealing IMO. And that's what i'm against.

Why? They can patent their invention, if it is patentable. But what do
you think they invented? It's the music (or film, or whatever) that
they are trying to protect.

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Debian : gcc/libtool broken. How to fix?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:32:26 GMT

Hi all,

I had a crash on my laptop (battery died) which has left
me with a broken GCC.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling task-c-dev but now
it fails as its trying to configure the libtool package.

  root@dizzy > apt-get install
task-c-dev
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  Sorry, task-c-dev is already the newest version
  0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not
upgraded.
  1 packages not fully installed or removed.
  Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
  Setting up libtool (1.3.3-9.1) ...
  Configuring libtool...
  Configuration name missing.
  Usage: ./config.sub CPU-MFR-OPSYS
  or     ./config.sub ALIAS
  where ALIAS is a recognized configuration type.
  dpkg: error processing libtool (--configure):
   libtool

Does anybody have any idea of how to fix this?

Thanks,
Erik

PS : Would ReiserFS have prevented this?
  Erik de Castro Lopo  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yes its valid)

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reinstall Win98
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:09:20 -0600

Eric Ho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot machine (Win98/Linux), but recently something
> is wrong with Win98, so I want to re-install it.
> After I re-install it, do I have to use floppy to boot my Linux
> and re-run LILO ?
>
> The reason I ask is because my floppy drive is not working properly :(
> So, if I need to use my floppy to boot Linux, then I have to buy
> another floppy drive first before I do anything stupid :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Eric Ho

You will have to rerun lilo because the Windows 98 installation will
probably rewrite the part of the MBR containing the lilo boot loader.

You should be able to boot your system from the Linux installation
CD, but you may have to experiment to find out how.  With RH6.X
for example entering at the boot prompt
vmlinux root=/dev/XXXX
where XXXX is your Linux root partition should work.  The point
is to boot the kernel on the CD but use the root partition on your
hard disk.  You have to tell the system on the CD how to find it.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Redhat install issues??
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:16:47 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> New Redhat install issues??
>
> I am setting on a new computer with on 20GB hard drive. I used the
> first 10GB for windows ME and now I am trying to use the other 10GB for
> redhat 7.0.
>
> I install redhat and I dont get any errors but after reboot the
> computer. the computer goes right into windowsME.  If I use the book
> disk that linux loads fine???  why is LILO not loading off the MBR??
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

The version of lilo that comes with RedHat 7.0 is able to boot
Linux from partitions beyond cylinder 1023.   But when installing
Linux, lilo doesn't always get set up properly.   Use the boot floppy
made during installation to boot Linux, check that your /etc/lilo.conf
file contains the line lba32 and not the line linear.  Then
run /sbin/lilo.   Make sure of course that it also contains the
proper segments for booting both Linux and ME.

I've set up at least one machine with a very similar configuration
and consulted on setting up another.  Except for having to redo
/etc/lilo.conf, it all went well.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StartOffice on RH 7.0
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:25:32 GMT

"Sudhakar R." wrote:

> I have tried
> ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin/net
>
> and I get an error "...is not a directory" . This I presume is due to the
> "no-space" between ..bin. and /net
>
> So I also tried
> ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin /net
> ./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin -net
>
> and in both cases the setup program is the same as the one when it run
> without the net option.
>
> Have you been able to install the soffice in network installation.
> Could you plz help.
> -sudhakar

Sorry for the typo there should be a space.

./so-5_2-ga-bin-linux-en.bin /net

I don't know what could be wrong unless maybe the file is corrupt. Maybe
download it again. I have it installed on 2 systems using the /net
switch and had no problems doing it, and used the exact same directions
in my previous post. Except for the space I missed.

The directions from Sun can be found on Sun's webpage.

http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/5.2/download.html

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.975% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: alt.video.dvd,alt.video.dvd.software
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:33:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pineapple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You can write a free dvd-decoder. But if it decodes css, making this
> software costs you a license fee.

You have yet to address the point I've repeatedly made that the people
who developed CSS *FAILED TO PROTECT IT IN ANY LEGALLY BINDING WAY*.
They just tried to keep its functional details secret. Therefore,
legally speaking, if somebody else reverse engineers the protocol, the
CSS developers have no legal recourse -- except of course for the DMCA,
which doesn't relate to the reverse engineering or the license fees.
Your objection would also apply to somebody reverse-engineering a word
processor's file format so that a competing program can load and save
files; to a project like WINE that aims to reverse engineer the Windows
API so that Windows programs can be run under other OSs; and to
projects like Samba, that let OSs interoperate with one another on a
network.

Now, you can certainly object to these projects, but you should at
least be aware of the fact that the courts (in the US and every other
country in which I've heard of a case being brought) have repeatedly
held in favor of those doing the reverse engineering. It's legal and,
in most peoples' view, ethical. If DeCSS ultimately loses in court, it
won't be on grounds of reverse engineering or of infringing a patent or
copyright (since neither of these has even been alleged to have been
infringed by DeCSS, AFAIK); it'll be because of the DMCA's provisions
against breaking the copy protection on the DVDs.

Put another way, what the CSS people did was akin to finding some
hidden but beautiful cave and offering to take people there,
blindfolded, for a fee. They added some infrastructure (park benches or
the like), but the cave is on public lands. The land was available for
sale, but the cave finders didn't buy it, and it's now no longer for
sale. Somebody else eventually found the cave and brought people there
without the blindfold and without charging a fee. You're objecting to
this. My point is that the original cave developers have no right to
complain unless they own the land, which they don't. They deliberately
chose not to purchase the land.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:26:19 -0600

gataway wrote:

> I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
> 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
> Magic install .
> So which OS do i install first? And what partition is needed for noth
> win98SE and Linux? Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
> partition? I will
> Install most of the application and games on win98SE ,as for linux i am
> a newbie still
> need to explore more about it.Kindly give me a senerio on what to do.

I don't see any reason to use Partition Magic and Boot Magic.
You should install Windows 98 on the first disk and then afterwards
install Linux on the second disk.  This should be pretty routine.
You should put the lilo boot loader in the master boot record of
the first disk.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need to Reinstall Windows 98
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:23:59 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I installed Red Hat Linux 7 & accidently deleted the Windows 98 partition
> when I really wanted to have both operating systems on my Dell Dimension
> 4100.  Now, I cannot reinstall Windows 98 at all.  Does anyone know if
> there is any way that I can reinstall Windows 98 on my system?  Thanks very
> much for any help.

It is not clear if you installed Linux on the entire disk or you
just deleted the Windows partition without using it for Linux.

If the former case, you will have to reinstall both.  First
run Linux, run lilo -u to put the MBR back to what it was, and
delete all the partitions.  Then first reinstall Windows and
afterwards install Linux.

In the latter case, you should be able to clean up the MBR
with lilo -u or by using a DOS/Windows startup disk and running
the DOS command
fidsk/mbr.  Then you should be able to install Windows.   Make sure
you have a Linux boot floppy before you begin.  After installing
Windows, you can run lilo to make your system boot both from the
hardisk.

I've seen complaints that RedHat 7.0 will delete Windows, but
I've installed it a couple of times and I don't see how that
can happen unless one is rather careless.  The standard
workstation install allows you to examine the partitions and
make sure the Windows partition is not affected.  It also allows you to
set up partitions as you want.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Ralph Sokel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't boot into GUI  or CLI
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:11:22 -0600

I also looked at the .font-unix file and restarted the font server. That did not
hurt anything but it did not help. I did find an open bug report at the Redhat
site (should mention that I have a patched 6.0 release installed) that seemed to
indicate that the problem occurs with glibc-2.1.3-21. I may go back to the
earlier version. On the other hand I actually prefer to boot up without X so I
may just live with this problem for a while.

--
Ralph Sokel

------------------------------

From: R.Joseph <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Using Nvidia GeForce 2 with XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:26:45 GMT

> Most likely the kernel driver is not loaded or failing to load....do
> lsmod and see
> if module NVdriver is present or not. Is NVdriver.o present in
> /lib/modules/2.2.x/
> directory or subdirectory? If yes, does running "depmod -a" work
without
> errors.

I found that in fact the kernel driver WASN'T loading, but here is the
odd thing.  There is a driver in /lib/modules/2.2.16/video named
NVdriver, but it is an executable, NOT an object (.o) file.  I can load
it still by doing:

/sbin/insmod NVdriver

but, there is a line in my /etc/modules.conf that looks like this:

alias char-major-195 NVdriver

Should I take that line out and instead just add 'insmod NVdriver' to
my rc.local file to load the module everytime?

Thanks!

R.Joseph

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Lucien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't install RH 6.2 on ATA66???
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:52:19 +0100

> Will Red Hat install on a RAID ATA66/100 controller?  I have a beautiful new
> custom built computer, Athlon TBird 900, ABIT KT7RAID, 2 IBM 765GXP Hard
> Drives on the RAID controllers.  Partitioned and formatted for a linux
> partition to install the RH6.2 that came on CD in the back of my textbook for
> next term.  Got the error message -- no valid devices found for filesystem. I
> wondered if 6.2 wouldn't work, but 7.0 might, and then I see another post
> with someone in exactly the same pickle with 7.0 -- wondering if the problem
> is his ATA66 controllers. The RedHat site's Compatibility List is just no
> help at all, as far as I can determine.

I am not familiar with RAID controllers, but I have
the Ultra ATA66 IDE controller. Not sure if the
following info is useful for you.

When you're installing RH-linux, you can
specify which image to use, with additional parameters
for the kernel.
In my case I used the standard 'linux' image,
with option 'ideX=bX_address,eX_address ideY=bY_address,eY_address'

e.g on my computer I installed it with:

RH-boot-prompt# linux ide2=0xb800,0xb400 ide3=0xb000,0xa800

ide0 and ide1 were already native present on the
motherboard.

I think I found the controller addresses in Windows. Each time
you boot Linux, you must give these options, until you have
adjusted '/etc/lilo.conf' with:
append="ide2=0xb800,0xb400 ide3=0xb000,0xa800"

Hope this helps you a little on the way...