From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows98 / Linux 6.2 dual boot
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:23:13 +1100

kan wrote:

> hello, does anyone know the requirement and configuration for making my
> system into a "dual boot"? I'd reformatted my system and would like to
> make it into a dual boot system. I need to know the procedure of doing it.
>
> kan

Hi Kan!
Lets do it as simple as possible.
DOS FDISK.EXE - delete from drive all partitions.
Create DOS partition on part of the drive, less than 8Gb, some booting
programms have problems booting partitions
after cylinder 1023.
Install MS-Glassware.
Go into install of Linux. It will find the unused part of the drive and
install itself on it. When the lilo installation begins,
it will smell the installed MS-Glassware and include it in booting choices.
(Note: If you have a small drive like 4G or less - give them 50/50)
Have fun.
Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: secure bootup phase (lilo,boot)
Date: 31 Oct 2000 09:52:38 GMT

Brendan Heading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <8t1c97$kq7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christoph Kukulies
: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
:>Does anyone know where to put an according trap to the interrupt signal
:>and possibly other (Quit) signals in the rc files, to close this backdoor
:>also?

: Even if root access like this can be completely isolated from the system
: (a lot of work) what's to stop someone sticking a boot floppy in and
: accessing the filesystem from there ? If the system is unsupervised and

BIOS password and taking floppy boot out of the device list of
bootable devices.

: must be secure then you're best locking it in a room somewhere.

Sure, but I meant 'soft' security in the first place.

But thanks for the tips from all, anyway.

: --
: Brendan Heading, Belfast, Northern Ireland

: Tús maith leath na hoibre...

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:27:23 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to find empty directories?

"John W. Krahn" wrote:

> Retro Grouch wrote:
> >
> > I have an automated file cleaner that deletes files older than 3 days in
> > my network scratch directory.  I'm using find -type f -mtime +3 to find
> > the files; this works great.
> >
> > My problem is that directories get left behind.  I am having a problem
> > finding empty directories.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I have not found any magical combination of commands that
> > would produce a list of empty directories.
>
> Delete the directory with rmdir, if the directory is empty it will be
> deleted, if it is not empty then rmdir will return an error message and
> not delete it.

uh, I believe he knows *how* to delete them. He just wants to delete
empty ones but he needs to find them automatically first. I assume the
other 2 posters provided a working solution.

------------------------------

From: "Diehard Duck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Corporate email help
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:15:21 -0000

Hm - Gnupop3d was all I've ever known...where can I get cucipop?

news:RTqL5.411149$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:18:50 -0600

some basics:

use fdisk and create (at least) two partitions

install windows as usual...your C: drive

next goto your linux install and
*delete* your second partition to create the free space to
*add* your linux partitions

you will need a minimum of three partitions:
/boot     (10 megs should do)    mounted
    swap                                        not mounted
/             the rest                          mounted

-- of course you may want additional partitons for /usr or /home

finally the boot loader lilo or grub may be installed on the mbr for
dual booting. or if you don't want to touch your mbr,
linux can be booted by floppy

Philo

website : www.plazaearth.com/philo

dos win lin os/2 cp/m nde beos

------------------------------

From: TM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bringing eth0 up question
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:21:17 +0100

Hi,

using ifconfig it is easy to bring down the eth0 interface. Bringing it
up back using ifconfig eth0 up command doesn't work properly. tcpdump
reports only arp requests and anyway the DHCP isn't activated anymore
after this command. ping doesn't work either.

Any advice?

Thanks

TM

------------------------------

From: "steffi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Barcode printing from AS/400 via Linux to Lexmark 238x printer
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:53:17 GMT

Hi all!

I wonder if someone has "develeoped" a printcap in Linux that would enable
barcode printing to non-IPDS printers (in this specific case: Lexmark 2381
Plus) from AS/400 machines?

The printer is connected to LAN via a HP 170X printserverdevice and protocol
to be used is TCP. The idea is to have a Linux printserver to take care of
printouts from the AS machine and after having done necessary filtering to
identify barcodes send the output to printer. In the AS a conversion from
EBCDIC to ASCII has been done.

Any ideas?

Stefan

------------------------------

From: Frank Reifenstahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copy CD to hard disk
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:51:56 GMT

> >Hi & Help!,
>
> >how can I copy a html-based manual from CD to hard disk without
loosing
> >information of upper/lower cases in file names or setting the
filenames
> >to correct cases respectively? In most cases, after copying to hard
disk
> >the well-liked "file not found" appears. Some time ago I had read
> >something about setting one of those LANG_XXX environment
variables...

> cd /cdrom
>
> tar -cf - . | (cd /harddrive ; tar -xpf - )
>
> Mark Post

Thank you, Mark ... but it doesn't work!

ls /cdrom
.           EINL.HTM    KAP02.HTM  KAP08.HTM  KAP14.HTM  KAP20.HTM
WOCHE2.HTM
..          FEEDB.HTM   KAP03.HTM  KAP09.HTM  KAP15.HTM  KAP21.HTM
WOCHE3.HTM
ANH_AA.HTM  GRAPHICS    KAP04.HTM  KAP10.HTM  KAP16.HTM  R?CK1.HTM
ANH_AB.HTM  INDEX.HTM   KAP05.HTM  KAP11.HTM  KAP17.HTM  R?CK2.HTM
ANH_AC.HTM  INHALT.HTM  KAP06.HTM  KAP12.HTM  KAP18.HTM  R?CK3.HTM
ANH_AF.HTM  KAP01.HTM   KAP07.HTM  KAP13.HTM  KAP19.HTM  WOCHE1.HTM

Your sequence, target /dir --> ls /dir gives the same view. E.g.
references in "WOCHE3.HTM" point to a not existent "inhalt.htm"
(lowercase). And now?

Frank

From: "Stefan Morgenroth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INIT: ld "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 min.  ????
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:59:48 +0100

    Hi all,

my BIOS crashed so I changed the mainboard. But now I have a different
problem.
I tried several thing including formating and reinstalling the OS-Partition
The Kernel seams to be ok, but the init-section makes trouble.

The last output I get ist this:

INIT: version 2.78 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: ld "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

and after 5 minutes the same (again):

INIT: ld "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: ld "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Any ideas? I have RH7.

    Thanx on advance,
    Stefan

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X consumes constant 98% CPU usage
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:04:27 -0500

"J.Smith" wrote:

> > In the background, I have a
> > whole lot of stuff running.
> >

> For me its a little different. I have almost NOTHING running at all, no
> daemons at all, just twm as a window manager, and 1(one) xterm so I can run
> top in it. And even if I do nothing, and just sit here and watch the screen,
> X stays at  about 98% CPU usage.
>

> > I have a Matrox G200 AGP (or whatever than fancy slot is). X points to
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA, whatever that proves.
> >

> I also have a Matrox, but mine is a Millenium MG400 AGP (DualHead). X is a
> symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA on my system as well.
>

> > I have no explanation other than my theory that there is a bug in X.
> >

> Well maybe it is and maybe it isnt. I compiled from source, and did not use
> a binary distribution. Im running XFree86 4.01 right now, should I go back
> to 4.0? Or go all the way back to 3.3.6? Or wait for 4.02 ?
>
> Does anyone else have any idea on how to troubelshoot this issue?

If it is a bug, as I conjecture, then it is not a new bug. I am running the
XFree86-3.3.5-1.6.0 version, and it is there too.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: best mail program?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:02:58 GMT

Hi

I'm using the default mail program mailtool in my linux 6.2, and I would
like to change to another, are there more mail programs for linux
somewhere? any suggestions? any favorites?

Thanks a lot
Antonio

From: "Jason from The Workshop" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which is the best distribution?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 05:13:51 -0600

Linux is a lot like ice cream, it's basically all the same, just different
flavors.  The BEST Linux distro is the one that works best for you.  What's
most important is that you not listen to any of the flame wars that
occasionally go on about which distro is the best and which just sucks.  A
few things to keep in mind..

1. Every Linux distribution has had/ does have/ will have bugs.  It's the
nature of the beast. Even the infamous 'Hello World' program has bugs in it
depending on how you run it.  As long as users are unique, no program will
ever be perfect and bug free.

2. A successful compromise between usability and user friendliness has not
been reached by any Operating System. That is part of the reason why we have
options. Certain Linux distros are geared more towards the do-it-yourselfer
(slackware and debian come to mind), Others are geared for immediate use
(Mandrake and Caldera amongst others).  Don't be scared to try a different
flavor of Linux if the one you picked isn't working for you.

3. World Domination can't happen in a house divided, so once you have
settled on a Distro that works well for you, become an advocate and not a
zealot. Tens of thousands of hackers poking at each others code will rule
the world with whatever vehicle is provided to them, it's Open Source  that
will make the difference in the end. Not Linux or BSD or whatever the OS
wonder-kid of the month is. Try to remember that when someone invariably
approaches you with "You run Foo Linux 6.5? Why, Bar Linux 6.5 is so much
better!", Or the more common "dude that sucks, get a real OS".

So in short, you won't know what the best Linux distro is until you try a
few yourself.  Linux CDs are becoming as common as AOL cds and, in most
cases, just as free.  Grab a few, and if Linux still doesnt seem to fit,
dont forget about BSD. BSD loves you too.

               Jason
     www.cyborgworkshop.com
...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

------------------------------

From: Hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Konqueror beats Netscape!!! Whaoo!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:41:21 GMT

The Konqueror in KDE 2.0 is bettern than Netscape.

It's very fast rendering speed compared with Netscape 4.6 or Mozilla M18.
Running Konqueror in KDE 2.0 is good to integrate the files in the system.

Netscape becomes slow and big with a little progress. :-(

When I saw Konqueror, I couldn't shut my mouse up. Haha~~~~~~~

Honestly, KDE 2.0 needs lot of resources, at least 64MB RAM size.
My old laptop (Pentimum 100, 24M RAM) can not run KDE 1.4. However
the Good news KDE 2.0 starts to remove the debugging code.

My homepage is 'http://www.geocities.com/flyingdoggle/main.html'

From: NAVARRO LOPEZ, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jes=FAs?= Manuel
Subject: Re: Linux vs Windows 2000 for a statewide computer system?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:37:03 +0100

Gary Carlson wrote:

> I need help in making a decision whether our statewide (several hundred
> users spread out geographically over the entire state) should opt for a
> Linux OS or a Windows OS.  I serve on the steering committee for the
> program.  We currently use OS/2 as our OS, but intend to migrate off.
> The application software itself is being rewritten in JAVA.

I read previous answers, and I do think the answer is delicate.  It has
been shown that Linux can cope the project, as Win2000 can do, but I
think the problem it is the management side of the question (and some
sociological issues, yes).  Even though such a big network means big
bucks only in license fees, the difference between a successful or
catastrophic project will be in the maintenance and management side.
Where are the admin stuff skilled on (some of us will neglect this,
thinking on their short networks experience: they might cope with minor
or even some major problems as they run on short networks, on large
networks this can simply kill the network).  Now, for the psycological
aspects: on my experience there're some *very* extrange issues here: on
one hand, I've seen more than twice how final users are more glad using
a non-working-so-well network, but with simpathetic help-desk stuff,
than on an almost-running-perfect networks where (mainly because of
this) there where no supporting helpdesk (it was not needed in the very
beginning!!!).  Second to this, is the fact that afronting something
"new" will disappoint most of your users (that's FUD) which will behalf
negatively to the project: most probably they will accept major
drawbacks when using WinXX where they won't tolerate even minor
annoyances using Linux (or some other unkown OS).  That's simply
irrationale, since migth be they're as unkownledgeable on the new apps
using Linux as using Win, but this is my experience.  From all this,
specially if new PCs whith WinXX licences bundled with them are involved
I'd follow the suggestion of first using Linux on the server side and
WinXX in the clients which (specially if your Java apps are developed
with this in mind) can be migrated to Linux if the proper atmosphere is
grown up (once again I'll point out this is much a psycologic issue as a
technical one).

--
SALUD,
Jesús