From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: library
Date: 20 Nov 2000 12:09:00 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (preprepre) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>i'm very new to linux and is currently running mandrake 7.2. in some c
>source files the person included some librarys like netinet/protocols.h
>but i can't find them under my /usr/includes/netinet. also, i found
>netinet/udp.h in my netinet directory but not netinet/ip_udp.h as found
>in the codes. where can i get those libraries?

try:

 # find /usr/include/ * -name protocols.h

this will tell you where they are located.

Good luck,

+--------------------------------+
|elmig                           |
|http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931|
|Luis.Figueiredo AT pt.bosch.com |
+--------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I dual-boot between Red Hat and SuSE distributions?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 12:10:43 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <3a18bab4.9309023@news-server>:

>Hi. I'd like to install Red Hat 6.2 and SuSE Pro 7.0 on a 30 GB hard
>drive. How do I set up a dual-booting system? All the articles I've
>read so far assume I'm dual-booting between DOS/Windows and Linux. Any
>help would be greatly appreciated. Please include as much detail as
>possible.
>
>Thanks
>
>Zed

humm.... perhaps each one on a different partition and add them to lilo.
That should be pretty easy. I think...

Good luck,

+--------------------------------+

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Write to floppy from Redhat 6.0
Date: 20 Nov 2000 12:13:36 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Flej Ling) wrote in
<xQ2S5.18$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I want to read/write ability with my floppy drive so ...
>Thanks,
>
>Flej Ling

Well i use an alias to mount a floppy added in ~/.bashrc

alias floppy="mount /dev/fd0 /floppy"

so when i type floppy on the shell the floppy is automatically mounted.

just my $02...

+--------------------------------+

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: question about vim
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:42:22 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 00:23:14 +0800, Dan Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a really simple question about vim.  I would use it more if I
>could figure out how to do one thing.  I will begin typing my paper and
>off the text will go to the right to the right to the right until I am in
>New York.  How in the world do you turn on like a word wrap or someway to
>keep what you just typed in view?  Please e-mail me at

In your .vimrc (or .gvimrc):

:set wrap
:set textwidth=72 (or whatever floats your boat)

--
Hal B

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: file is not found - but I know it exists!
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:50:23 -0500

"Kilian A. Foth" wrote (in part):

> --
> ``Well, let's just say, if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't
>   want Linux.''
>                                                   -- Bruce Perens

Not necessarily: he may be so busy rewriting parts of the kernel, and
recompiling and installing it, that he has not used his VCR in months and
has not even noticed that it is blinking 12:00. ;-)

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hacked?  Is that the reason for my new mail problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:55:19 -0500

mike wrote (in part):

> Incidentally, how did you guys figure out where these IPs originated from?
> I only know of ping and that doesn't tell me the company/machine names.
> And without wanting to get fanatical, is there a better-than-the-rest
> beginner/intermediate security book (like from ORA maybe) that will answer
> other questions I have and help me learn more about this area?

I just typed: nslookup (newline)
At each prompt, I copied and pasted one of those IP addresses in. As follows:

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> 207.71.92.221
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    shieldsup.grc.com
Address:  207.71.92.221

> 216.78.184.172
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    adsl-78-184-172.mco.bellsouth.net
Address:  216.78.184.172

> 167.206.187.189
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    hunt187-189.optonline.net
Address:  167.206.187.189

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  7:50am up 5 days, 22:33, 2 users, load average: 2.12, 2.14, 2.09

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: Netscape Download file location.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:00:02 -0500

Paul Ahlquist wrote:

> > What "Download Files To" directory? and how do you configure
> > it?
> >
> I believe he is refering to the "Download to..." in Edit >
> Preferences > Navigator > Applications dialog at the bottom.
> Setting this will set the initial default location.
>
> -pea

I never noticed that before. But that raises the question, why do
not the downloaded files go there for the original poster?

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  7:55am up 5 days, 22:38, 2 users, load average: 2.05, 2.09, 2.08

------------------------------

From: "James Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: New Mp3 Site
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:00:51 GMT

http://www.ozemarket.net
Download the latest top 40 mp3's at excellent speeds. Categorized and
updated daily. We have a very easy to use download page that does not hassle
you for your details. Just click and your downloading.

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undelete a file in Linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:04:54 -0500

Jason wrote:

> Its not that hard.  Unmount the file system NOW. If the inodes get reused,
> all hope is lost. Then just fire up midnight commander and go use its
> undelete function and see if you can track down the old file.  Again, if
> you have used the computer enough since the file was deleted that the
> inodes got reused, your just hosed.     BTW, that only works for EXT2

Why do not users make backups? Those who used Windows before must realize
more than any the importance of backups when the system loses or messes up
their files. A user's accidently removing a file is just the same. I have had
Unix lose me (all but the first block of) a file once in 25 years, and Linux
has never lost me a file in over two years, but I remove one by mistake every
once in a while. Backups have saved me every time.

> --
> Jason
>       www.cyborgworkshop.com
> ...and the geek shall inherit the earth...

I pity the geek: there is a lot of debugging still required.

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  8:00am up 5 days, 22:43, 2 users, load average: 2.08, 2.13, 2.09

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yechuri)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 13:15:33 GMT
Subject: please read

I submitted a document to the Patent & Trademarks Office under the
Disclosure Document Program.  I don't want to patent this, but I want use
it, so instead I am advertising this to try to stop anyone else from
patenting this.  It does not conflict with any of the patents I found
using the IBM patent search website.  If you believe this is patented,
please send me the patent number.  The diagrams are missing but you don't
need them, they are very simple.

Thank you in advance.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
************************

Method of Software Protection

Description of invention:

The normal method of protecting software is shown in diagram1 and my method
which I
wish to patent is shown in diagram2.  The software A that is to be protected is
shown
below as a box and it takes as input information B and outputs information C.

diagram1: Normal method of software protection

The input information B is provided by the customer.  The output information C
is the
result the customer wants and is paying for.  In order to make sure that the
customer is
lawfully using the software A, a license device D is used.  This device can be
a software
code used as a key or it can be a physical device attached to the computer’s
serial or
parallel port.

My method:

My method is shown in diagram2.  The software is no longer protected by the
license
device D.  Instead it is supplied without any licenses and can be used by
anybody.  Indeed
everybody who uses the software can simply make multiple copies and use as they
wish.
However, the output C of the program is no longer usable by the customer
because it is
now encrypted.  In addition to C, the program outputs a smaller file D.
Alternately
another software (not shown) can generate D from C.  D is a set of numbers or
characters
obtained from C in such a way that the probability of obtaining the same output
D from a
different customer’s copy of C is very small.  This can be done (for example)
by simply
selecting the 5th, 27th, 63rd, 81st, 102nd, 174th and 237th characters in C to
create a
string of 7 characters as D.  Alternately D can contain additional characters
that identify
how much of effort software A had to make in order to generate output C.  For
example,
if the 8th character is an “M” it could mean that software A had to exert
“medium effort”.
If the 8th character is a “Z”, it means software A exerted “maximum
effort” to output C.

Now, D is sent to the software vendor E.  The vendor E encrypts D and sends
back output
F to the customer, after the customer pays the required fee.  For example the
output F
could be the RSA encryption of D using RSA numbers only known by the vendor.
diagram2: My method of software protection

Now, customer feeds the encrypted output C and the file F to a software G.
Software G
knows the RSA numbers because it was written by the vendor E.  It also knows
the
encryption scheme used in software A because it was written by the vendor E.
It simply
checks the 5th, 27th, 63rd, 81st, 102nd, 174th and 237th characters in C,
encrypts them
using the same RSA numbers used by the vendor and if the result is F, then the
software
G knows that the customer has paid the required fee and so software G then
proceeds to
decrypt the output C into the output H.  H is the output file that the customer
needs, and
the transaction is now complete.  Alternately, G can be incorporated into A.

When the customer inputs a different input to software A, then the output C and
output D
will now be different, and so the customer again has to request the vendor to
generate a
new file F in order to decrypt the new output file C and so the software A is
well
protected.

------------------------------

From: r1ckey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can i check port?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:18:18 GMT

Immortal Love wrote:

> If i set up several apache servers and ftp servers in my pc, how can i
> check if they're running and which ports sre they using? Is there any
> command?
>
> Thx. :)

Try a port scanner, like NMAP...

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just can't get mail working again... (LONG)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:25:10 -0500

mike wrote:

> I've searched DN; I've upgraded to sendmail 8.10 and read documentation
> (and FAQ); my mail has stopped going out and I can't get it working.
>
> This current setup has worked fine for at least a year.  But something has
> happened recently that has caused almost all mail to stop going out but I
> have no idea what it could be because I don't think I've changed anything
> in the past couple weeks (which is when I noticed it stopped going out).
> I use Pine with smtp-server option set to my local PC's hostname so I can
> send mail between users when off-line. Here's what happens:
>
>     I address mail to myself using my earthlink address; Pine sends it no
>     problem and it eventually comes back (fetchmail).  /etc/resolv
>     reflects Earthlink's machines (http, ftp, etc. all work fine);
>
>     I can send mail to root (I don't log on as root but have all root mail
>     sent to me) - that mail reaches me;
>
>     Any other address (like a yahoo, work, friend's email address) sits in
>     /var/spool/mqueue.  These are all addresses I used to be able to mail
>     to without any trouble.  When I check the files in /var/spool/mqueue
>     it always says 'MDeferred: mx6.mail.yahoo.com.: Network is
>     unreachable' (I just left in the yahoo part but of course if the mail
>     was going somewhere else there'd be a different machine name).
>
> Can somebody give me a clue as to where the breakdown is?  One DN post
> mentions routing tables but I don't know how to check that or what
> generates it.  Even if I could check it I doubt I'd know what it was
> telling me.  And if mail goes to earthlink OK wouldn't you think it would
> go other places w/o trouble as well?

You need to check lots of things. If stuff ends up in /var/spool/mqueue and
does not go out instantly, then sendmail tries once an hour to send it. If
your dial-up connection to the Internet is not up then, it waits another
hour, etc., until it can go out. (The 1-hour interval can be changed, but I
think that is the default).

If that is not the problem, you should make sure that sendmail is running
(run top, pstree, or something, to find out). If it is not, you may need to
adjust stuff in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d (if you are running Red Hat; I do not know
where to look for other distributions) and restart it in /etc/rc.d/init.d.

> I've been fiddling with sendmail.cf without any luck.

I was tempted to paste in my sendmail.cf file here, but I fear the response
from the newsgroup. Instead, here is my sendmail.mc file with notes at the
side for the changes I may have made. Lines starting with dnl are comments:

divert(-1)
dnl This is the macro config file used to generate the /etc/sendmail.cf
dnl file. If you modify thei file you will have to regenerate the
dnl /etc/sendmail.cf by running this macro config through the m4
dnl preprocessor:
dnl
dnl        m4 /etc/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
dnl
dnl You will need to have the sendmail-cf package installed for this to
dnl work.
include(`/usr/lib/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
dnl
dnl JDBEYER: Items in parenthesis are citations into the 2nd edition of bat
book.
dnl
dnl CHANGED BY JDBEYER (22.8.3.1)
dnl define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')         <---<<< You need not do this.
define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``nullmail:nullmail'')<---<<< You need not do this.
dnl ADDED BY JDBEYER (31.8)
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `jdbeyer.exit109.com') <---<<< Use your own.
dnl
dnl We want mailstats to find the /var/log/sendmail.st and it must be
dnl set in here for that to happen.
define(`STATUS_FILE', `/var/log/sendmail.st')
dnl
OSTYPE(`linux')
undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')
undefine(`BITNET_RELAY')
define(`confAUTO_REBUILD')
define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m')
define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true)
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')
FEATURE(`virtusertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(redirect)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
FEATURE(local_procmail)
FEATURE(`access_db')
FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')
dnl to be ADDED BY JDBEYER (19.6.16)
dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)         <---<<< I did not get around to
this.
dnl We strongly recommend to comment this one out if you want to protect
dnl yourself from spam. However, the laptop and users on computers that do
dnl not have 24x7 DNS do need this.
FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')
dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')
dnl
dnl CHANGES MADE BY JDBEYER
dnl
dnl Use mail.exit109.com as "smart" relay host. <---<<< This is my mail
server.
define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.exit109.com')        <---<<< Use your own.
<---<<< I think the next two lines are so stuff that can be
<---<<< delivered through my LAN are not sent to my ISP's mail server.
LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
R$* < @ $* .$m. > $* $#smtp $@ $2.$m $: $1 < @ $2.$m > $3
dnl
dnl Who we masquerade as.
MASQUERADE_AS(`jdbeyer.exit109.com')  <---<<< I have a static IP address, and

                                      <---<<< this is its name; use yours.
dnl
dnl We want no UUCP (19.6.19).
FEATURE(nouucp)
dnl
dnl We want to deal with bombers and spammers. See 20.2.6 of bat book.
dnl LOCAL_CONFIG                      <---<<< I did not get around to this.
dnl Kbadusers hash -o /etc/mail/blockusers.db
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)

The "bat book" is "sendmail" by Costales and Allman, published by O'Reilly &
Associates, Inc. To understand all this stuff, you may wish to study chapter
19 (at least, it is chapter 19 in the second edition), titled: "V8 m4
Configuration".

--
 .~.   Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                              Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey
^^-^^  8:05am up 5 days, 22:48, 2 users, load average: 2.13, 2.16, 2.11

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slackware, Soundcards and kernel matters...
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:43:32 GMT

Hi!

I was fiddling around with my Slackware 7.1 based Linux box,
so far upgraded with the 2.2.17 kernel and KDE 2.0 only when
I encountered something I couldn't soleve by looking at the
howto's. I know it's there, somewhere, but I can't find it...

The system won't let me use the sound card unless I'm root.
No mp3's, no system sounds, no nothing. It's OK, I'm used to
not having sound, but since root can use all this, why won't
it let my regular account do it?

I think it has to do with a file permission, but I'm stumped
as to which file and which permission. Can anyone help me out?

(Kernel is 2.2.17, compiled as a modular kernel, with the
emu10k1 module loaded at startup. I've not yet tried if it
works in GNOME, since I'd have to install that first.)

Next, the 2.4.0-test9 kernel. It looks good, it starts good  -
but where oh where did my modules go? I can find the files,
but modprobe has turned blind. The /lib/modules/2.4.0-test9/
tree looks nothing like the old 2.2.x trees, so I wonder what
to do about this. I _want_ that ACPI support. I _need_ the USB
functions. RH had USB, which I liked very much, but wouldn't
compile anything. 2.4.x has all of it, but I can't load the
modules... Again, can anyone give me a hint?

Sebastian

[EMAIL PROTECTED] - spam me and you're toast

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:38:58 -0600

Retired Gentleman wrote:

> When I download  files using Netscape I cannot find them in the system.  I
> have configured Netscape's "Download Files To" directory but the files do
> not appear there.  I have tried "Find FIles" for the whole system but still
> the files cannot be found.
>
> Using Netscape I recently downloaded all the Security Update files for
> Netscape from the Caldera FTP site - where do I locate these files on my
> system so that I can instal them?
>
> Please reply by E-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> My Web site:- http://www.binning.co.uk
> My E-mail address:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

As several people have pointed out, you should get a dialog box
asking where you want to put the file and giving a default.
This should be what you set in "Download Files To".  But you
have to have permission to write in that directory in order to
save a file there.  Either choose a directory like your home
directory where you have permission or change the permissions
on the default directory if you have root authority.

--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Disk Druid on RH7.0
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:42:37 -0600

"Scott M. Navarre" wrote:

>   Is there a way to invoke Disk Druid outside of the installation procedure?
> I would like to use it to make RAID on an already installed system.  Thanks.

I believe disk druid is not available outside installation.
fdisk is not that hard to use, but cfdisk is a bit friendlier.
--

Leonard Evens      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      847-491-5537

From: "dpc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ufs rw filesystem driver?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:04:50 -0500

Hola,

I'm moving a drive from a FreeBSD system to a new install of Mandrake 7.2
(Server install - high security).
I've read on the FreeBSD website that linux > 2.1 kernel has rw support for
ufs filesystems.  So I try the following.

# mount -t ufs -o ufstype=44bsd /dev/hdc1 /mntpoint
# touch /mntpoint/filename
touch: /mntpoint/filename: Read-only file system
# mount | grep mntpoint
/dev/hdc1 on /mntpoint type ufs (rw,ufstype=44bsd)

So it says in mount that it's rw, however when I try to write to it, I get
Read-only file system!
Am I missing something here, or am I doing something blatantly wrong?  I've
tried adding rw to the options as well.  Does Linux not really support rw of
ufs???

dpc
To reply directly to me, please remove YourHat