Linux-Misc Digest #401, Volume #27               Tue, 20 Mar 01 03:13:02 EST

Contents:
  ipop3d (SolarisCert)
  Re: help: Could not determine local IP address (David. E. Goble)
  Re: Help: Howto setup dialin server (David. E. Goble)
  Re: How to install Sawfish themes ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  i810 + TV-out w/XF86 ("Joe M. SHIMURA")
  Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ? (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Question about RTLinux~~ (hsiu)
  printcap setup, no X installed ... (Norm J)
  Re: fuser -v /dev/dsp ... (Gaurav Navlakha)
  egrep & uuschk ("percy")
  Re: printcap setup, no X installed ... (Bill Unruh)
  Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ? ("BetrOffDed")
  RH 6.2 upgrade: libdb-3.1.so : What is this?? (Cosmo Lee)
  Re: Midi not installed by default in Mandrake 7.2 (preamp)
  Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver ("arman96")
  NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 March 2001 NYNMA: Panel on Copyright, Digital Media, and the
Right to Private Ownership of Computers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: bash environment ("Harlan Grove")
  Re: where to set harddisk geometry (Villy Kruse)
  HP Laserjet 2100 (Martin Greco)
  gnomeicu0.96.1 compilation problem ("Hsinko")

From: SolarisCert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ipop3d
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:14:16 +0800

how can i configure ipop3d so that it reads $HOME/mail/INBOX instead of
mailbox in the spool directory?

------------------------------

From: goble@gtech (David. E. Goble)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.linux
Subject: Re: help: Could not determine local IP address
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:05:05 GMT

Hi all;

Iam still getting the error "could not dertermine local ip"

Iam trying to get get a remote computer to dialin and connect to my
server.

My servers hosts file is;

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.1 gtech
192.168.0.25 rgtech

my options.srv file is;

noauth
lock
-detach
modem
crtscts
proxyarp
asyncmap 0
192.168.0.1:192.168.0.25
login

my servers pap-secrets file is;

username *       "" *

and the remote computers hosts file is;

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.1 gtech
192.168.0.25 rgtech

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How to install Sawfish themes ?
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:07:32 GMT

Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have RedHat 7 and Ximian GNOME; if that makes a difference.

As it happens, not relevant factors...

> Sawfish is the Window Manager.
> I'm trying to install the theme DarkAlloy.  There seems to be two files:
> 0.21 and 0.30.  I downloaded them both.
> As instructed by the web site, I issued the following command.
> cp DarkAlloy* ~/.sawfish/themes/DarkAlloy.tar.gz
> I got an error, because there's no directory named themes, so I created one.
> cd ~/.sawfish
> mkdir themes
> Then issued the following command.
> cp DarkAlloy* ~/.sawfish/themes/DarkAlloy.tar.gz
> The file was copied without problems.
> I went to Control Center, but DarkAlloy is not in the menu of themes.
> So, I clicked on the "Install new theme...", and chose the file DarkAlloy
> file.  I got no errors, but I still don't see DarkAlloy in the themes list.
> Any suggestions?

You might try heading to the themes directory ~/.sawfish/themes, and
then running the command:

  % tar xfvz DarkAlloy.tar.gz

That will extract the images and configuration sitting in the archive.

It will _LIKELY_ create a subdirectory like
~/.sawfish/themes/DarkAlloy/; you can look at the list of files via
the command:

  % tar tfvz DarkAlloy.tar.gz
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/xwm.html

------------------------------

From: "Joe M. SHIMURA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: i810 + TV-out w/XF86
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:19:06 +0900

Had anyone success getting TV-out to work on
I810 with something drivers and XF86 ?
I use i810 (
http://www.saintsong.com.tw/taiwan/www/it/english/ithome.htm )  and
it's able to out to TVset(320x200),but isn't able to out
640x400 and more.

 If anyone know how to big screen XF86 driver,config or something else?
 Thank you.

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: when is rh 7.2 comming out ?
Date: 20 Mar 2001 04:21:48 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> anyone knows ?

Probably a good 6-12 months after 7.1, which is in it's second beta
phase right now.  ;)

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hsiu)
Subject: Question about RTLinux~~
Date: 20 Mar 2001 02:19:27 GMT

Hello~

I got some problem ,could you help me?

My question is:

Does RTLinux support C++?I use gcc to compile my program it has no error.

Bcause i need to use "class" so that i compile it with g++ ,and i got a

lot of error messages .What should i do?

                                    Thanks for your help,sincerely~~

                                                                   Kevin
--
¡° Origin: ºÓ¸Û¸ê°T <bbs.cynix.com.tw>
¡» From: a6-1.me.chu.edu.tw

------------------------------

From: Norm J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: printcap setup, no X installed ...
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:46:32 GMT

hi,

i have a headless box w/o X on it, and am not crusty enough to write my
own /etc/printcap file from scratch ...

given that i am running rh7 w/ updates, LPRng (updated), and want to use
a postscript printer to print on that machine, any ideas on how to write
that printcap file?  'man printcap' is too scary for me ...

--
Learning is an ornament in prosperity,
a refuge in adversity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Norman M. Jacobowitz

From: Gaurav Navlakha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fuser -v /dev/dsp ...
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 22:58:54 -0600

:>When I type this on my system, it says:
:>
:><supermount>: No such file or directory.
:>
:>I'm trying to get "xmms"/Realplayer for linux, to be able to use the
:>sound card. Currently it cannot because it says that some other program is
:>accessing the audio device. But I don't think that's true!
:
:It's not true, that's right. But do you really have /dev/dsp then?
:If 'ls /dev/dsp' does show the file there's something strange, but I
:believe the problem is sound card driver misconfiguration (or mere
:non-existence of it).
:Have you compiled correct sound card support in kernel?

'ls /dev/dsp' does show the file!

How can I find out if I have compiled the correct (or compiled at all)
sound card driver in the kernel?

Thanks,
Gaurav.

------------------------------

From: "percy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: egrep & uuschk
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:33:24 +0800

hi,
  after a long days, my redhat system auto run the egrep & uuschk. i dont
know why they run and i can not kill them.
  another problem is the bash run 2 times for every login. if i kill the 1st
, i will logout. i think that it ok. but the other one, i kill it and it
will run again.
  who can help me?

Percy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: printcap setup, no X installed ...
Date: 20 Mar 2001 05:30:43 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Norm J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>i have a headless box w/o X on it, and am not crusty enough to write my
>own /etc/printcap file from scratch ...

>given that i am running rh7 w/ updates, LPRng (updated), and want to use
>a postscript printer to print on that machine, any ideas on how to write
>that printcap file?  'man printcap' is too scary for me ...

Well, here is mine.
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
    :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/error:\
        :ac=/etc/printer/log/acct:

Not clear which you want. /dev/lp0 is the printer port.
:if is the printer filter ( not sure what LPRng sets up.) This is the
main program which handles the printing, mx#0 means do not limit the
size of the job, sd is the directory in which the files are stored for
printing, ac is the account file ( you may not want this) lf is the file
where error messages are placed.

------------------------------

From: "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 05:57:02 GMT

In article <996gvq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> anyone knows ?
> thanks for your inputs

My best guess is sometime after 7.1

------------------------------

From: Cosmo Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 6.2 upgrade: libdb-3.1.so : What is this??
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:39:15 -0500

I'm trying to upgrade my RH 6.2 Update Agent, per instructions on their
webpage http://www.redhat.com/network/service/rhl_62.html

I follow the instructions to run `rpm` on the downloaded packages.
However, I get a message that certain packages require "libdb-3.1.so"

I searched my two RH cds, in the RPMS directory, but I can't find such a
package.

What is it, and how can I get this???

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: preamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Midi not installed by default in Mandrake 7.2
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:11:19 +1000

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Why didn't you ask the authors?

I am fairly new to linux...  and as such, I went first to Mandrake (and
associated newsgroups) as they are the suppliers of the system.

>Personally, I don't use midi, don't
> know what it is, and have no interest in it.  But as far as I recall,
> the SB live!  has no midi hardware (check!  my recollectionss are worth
> 2c) and midi is a software only thing for it.

I believe it has a hardware wavetable synth, but you have to load
soundfonts into RAM.

> As such any software only
> solution would have worked ..  such as compiling timidity and telling it
> to talk to /dev/dsp, which you would set up by running the alsa oss
> emulation drivers on top of the basic alsa sound support.

Many programs keep looking for /dev/sequencer.

Still, one of my primary aims was to get it talking to the external midi
port, and this seems to work fine now.

------------------------------

From: "arman96" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Instructions for installing 3com NIC Driver
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:13:08 GMT

I am getting a error message now when I am tring to mount the floppy drive
using the command "mount  /dev/fd0 -t  vfat  /floppy"  and I get an ERROR
MESSAGE saying - mount point floppy does not exist. But when I look in the
KDE disk navigator /root/mnt/  I see cd-rom and floppy there ???? What gives
with that?

If I coud get that to mount then I can copy the compiled module of the
driver to the /lib/module/net and reboot. I all ready have the "alis eth0
3c90x.0" line in the the /etc/conf.modules . What is the problem here is it
the VFAT statement???????

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 21 March 2001 NYNMA: Panel on Copyright, Digital Media,
and the Right to Private Ownership of Computers
Date: 20 Mar 2001 02:27:52 -0500

Disney, Sony, DoubleClick, RIAA, and the MPAA today demand that private
ownership of computers be outlawed.  Their argument is that the Cartel must
be protected against computer owners running their computers in manners and
modes not approved by the Cartel.  The Cartel's proposed remedy against
such licentious and anarchic use of private property is simple: that after
July 2001 every single new IDE hard drive include one megabyte of spy
firmware, which will oversee all hard disk operations, and communicate
directly with the Ministry of Truth and Infotainment.

http://eurorights.org
http://www.toad.com/freedom.speech.software
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-03-04-001-20-NW-HW-KN
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/03/17/1624234&mode=thread
http://www.nylug.org/articles/index.shtml?nycdvdcourt
http://www.nylug.org/articles/index.shtml?washdvdprotest
http://www.eff.org
http://www.openlaw.org
http://www.fsf.org

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  edit-level="light">

From: Stephen Filler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [wwwac] March 21 NYC Event on Copyright and Digital Media

An event concerning copyright and digital media is being held March 21 by
The New York New Media Association Digital Content Special Interest Group
and the New York County Lawyers Intellectual Property Committee.

Speakers include:

Martin Garbus, Frankfurt Garbus Kurnit Klein & Selz, PC
Allan Adler, VP Legal and Governmental Affairs, Association of American Publishers
RogerParloff, Legal Editor, Inside

The event will be co-moderated by James Alexander of Mibrary and attorney
Stephen Filler.

Here are the details:

NYNMA's Digital Content Special Interest Group (SIG) in conjunction with
the Intellectual Property Committee of New York County Lawyers Association
(NYCLA) Present:

Rights to Bytes: What control do consumers have over their digital assets
navigating the grey areas of First Sale and Fair Use in an immaterial
world.

Wednesday, March 21, 6:00  7:30 PM

Sony Entertainment, 550 Madison Avenue (between 56th and 57th Streets),
2nd floor

The question is deceptively simple: Do we as consumers have the right to
resell and make fair use of ebooks, mp3s or other digital media we have
legally purchased?  After all, we have the right to dispose of our physical
books and cds in any way we see fit, but digital content consumers face new
technologies and contracts that restrict these rights.  Why should digital
content have a different set of rules?

This special Panel Event will look at how recent developments in
technology, law and  the Digital Millennium Copyright Act may be
restricting consumers' rights in ways never before imagined.

Join NYNMA's Digital Content SIG, NYCLA's Intellectual Property Committee
and a panel of industry leaders for an evening of speculative debate and
lively discussion on this hot topic. This distinctive event will be
moderated by SIG Co-Chair James Alexander of Mibrary and attorney
Stephen Filler from NYCLA's Intellectual Property Committee. Panelists to
be announced.

NYNMA Members - Free
Non-Members - $15
NYCLA Members:  Contact Stephen Filler at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The last NYNMA Digital Content SIG event was sold out.  RSVP today!  To
reserve your seat, visit the NYNMA Events Homepage at
https://www.nynma-membership.org/ScriptContent/Index.cfm.

For more information about this SIG, please visit the Special Interest
Group web page on http://www.nynma.org/.

For information on sponsorship opportunities for future events, please
email Rob Valencia, at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stephen Filler
Attorney at Law
111 Broadway 13th Floor
New York, NY 10006
(212)346-4673
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.nylawline.com

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bash environment
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 07:42:29 GMT

Goodyear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes.  I do the "export KDEDIRS" and immediately afterward set shows
>KDEDIRS  as /opt/kde2.  But if you open another command line window or
>reboot it  reverts back to /opt/kde which makes compiling many programs
>virtually  impossible for someone of my skill level.

Did you check if your own ~/.bash_profile contains a line that changes
KDEDIRS back to /opt/kde? If so, that would override anything set in
/etc/profile.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: where to set harddisk geometry
Date: 20 Mar 2001 07:43:28 GMT

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:43:37 +0100, peter pilsl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> > I tried to do in fdisk, but this changes are lost
>> > when starting fdisk again. In fact I know less about this things and dont
>>
>> No they are not lost. fdisk writes the partition table. You cannot
>> "lose" that. Are you sure you exited with "w" and not with "q"?
>>

>definitely. I tried three or four times (and just now again).
>I change the h,c,s - parameters in expertmode of fdisk. When showing the
>partitiontable, I dont get any errors, the I exit with 'w' and fdisk calls
>ioctl() and is syncing disk and when starting fdisk again, the old values
>are here again.

The old valuse of c,h,s ???  That is correct, these parameters aren't
stored anywhere.  If anywhere, these parameters are stored in bios.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Martin Greco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Laserjet 2100
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:42:06 +0000

Hi!

I wonder if someone knows some specific drivers for the HP laserjet 2100
pritner.
I'm using it fith the laserjet 4/5/6 series filter (the printtool one) and
works, but not in highest quality!

Thanks!!

Martin

------------------------------

From: "Hsinko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gnomeicu0.96.1 compilation problem
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:03:12 +0800

Hi all,

Anybody knows what the problem is?
Thanks.

gcc  -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused  -DUSE_XSCREENSAVER  -o gnomeicu  applet.o
autoaway.o
 autohide.o awaymsglist.o changeaway.o changeinfo.o changenick.o chat.o
chatdlg.
o dialog.o dirbrowser.o dragdrop.o events.o filexfer.o flash.o gnomecfg.o
gnomei
cu.o gtkconf.o gtkfunc.o histadd.o icu_db.o icuchat.o ignore.o invisible.o
loadp
ixmap.o log.o msg_queue.o newsignup.o notify.o packetprint.o response.o
rus_conv
.o search.o sendcontact.o sendmsg.o server.o showlist.o kanji_conv.o tcp.o
users
erver.o util.o visible.o webpresence.o
gtkspell.o -lpanel_applet -rdynamic -L/us
r/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -r
dyna
mic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lm -rdynamic -lgnorba -lORBitCo
sNam
ing -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -
lgtk
 -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile
-lm
-ldb -lglib -ldl  -lpthread  -L/usr/lib -lesd -laudiofile -lm  -lXext -lXss

gtkfunc.o: In function `set_window_icon':
/home/hsinko/icq/client/gnomeicu/gnomeicu-0.96.1/src/gtkfunc.c:6231:
undefined r
eference to `gnome_window_icon_set_from_file'
loadpixmap.o: In function `init_one_pixmap':
/home/hsinko/icq/client/gnomeicu/gnomeicu-0.96.1/src/loadpixmap.c:64:
undefined
reference to `gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file'
/home/hsinko/icq/client/gnomeicu/gnomeicu-0.96.1/src/loadpixmap.c:65:
undefined
reference to `gdk_pixbuf_render_pixmap_and_mask'
/home/hsinko/icq/client/gnomeicu/gnomeicu-0.96.1/src/loadpixmap.c:67:
undefined
reference to `gdk_pixbuf_finalize'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [gnomeicu] Error 1