From: "John Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: poll: which OS
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:57:55 -0500

It doesn't even let you choose the real answer to the question:  Mac OS X.
Anyone on here try it yet?  Once it supports DVD and gets the kinks worked
out, I'm sure it will be the best OS ever.  Now if only I could afford that
sweet titanium....

>>>John

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: arasu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: minimize button as a root user
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 17:42:20 +1000

A silly question please. I login as a root user. When I click the
minimize button of any
application, the window does not stay at the bottom panel. Is there any
specific reason for that?
Linux version 1, Redhat 7.0. Thanks.

-arasu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:52:05 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: minimize button as a root user

arasu wrote:

> A silly question please. I login as a root user. When I click the
> minimize button of any
> application, the window does not stay at the bottom panel. Is there any
> specific reason for that?

I don't know, but anyway you should not run X as root, there is no
reason.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Shin MICHIMUKO" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Signature collecting campaign for PlayStation2 Linux.
Date: 1 Apr 2001 07:52:43 GMT

Hello everybody,

  We are now doing a Signature-collecting campaign for PlayStation2
Linux.  Some of you know, this campaign began on March 4th, the 1st
anniversary day of PlayStation2 in Japan. The number of signature is
over 5,000 now. We send this list to SCEI when it reached 10,000. We
need your help, because over 4,000 signatures were from Japan only.

   Please see the detail at:
        http://www.fakeroot.net/ps2linux/       English site.
        http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/pslinux/       Japanese site.

  Briefly: the rumor (Linux can be run on PlayStation2!) was made by
unknown people few months ago. But last month, the situation was
slightly changed.  Mr. Kutaragi, President of SCEI, was talking to our
friend Mr.Ogoshi (very famous guy in Japan with his nickname,
Ogochan), and said that the quality of Linux on PlayStation2 is ready
to be a product. But he is also wondering that users of Linux want to
get it or support it. According to Ogochan, Mr.  Kutaragi wonders
about it because it is not so profitable.

  Anyway, we are thinking that SCEI wants to know how many people are
wanting and waiting the release of Linux on PlayStation2. I started
the web page with my friend (there was a mailing list talking about
the possibility of PS2 Linux). Japanese page is provided on my web
site, and English site is located in SourceForge.

  The signatures we want is not limited which of Linux wizards or
nurds. We want them from all of the people who interested in it.

  If Linux on PS2 will be available, many benefit will come to us and
SCEI. From the user's point of view, Linux for PS2 can provide CD and
DVD player by default, read e-mails and web sites on TV sets. For
developers and programmers, wide variety of games and applications
will be available, because of its world wide market share, very stable
and common hardware. For SCEI, it is very good chance to step up to be
a software company which provide the solution for home network. If it
will be released, it is not an over-estimation to think that it can be
a biggest Linux distribution.

  So the signatures of all of those who will get the benefit of PS2
Linux are welcome. We need your support for this campaign.

  Thank you for reading my bad English.

Regards,
  Shin MICHIMUKO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

PS. I failed to post comp.os.linux.announce, so I post this article
again. If you see this twice, I am sorry.

------------------------------

From: "Harlan Grove" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bzip, rpm files in Windows
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 08:00:31 GMT

Donald Stidwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Power Archiver works fine with bzip and bzip2 files. And it's free too!
>Don't know of any Windows program that handles rpms so far.

Power Archiver is very good. As for rpms, try

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,000V79,.html

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 10:03:41 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW problem

David wrote:

> The problem is in making audio CD's.
> I am able to make audio-CD's and play them on any computer CD player but
> if I try it on a portable CD player it won't work. The first audio-CD I
> made worked without any problems but I haven't been able to create one
> that works on both systems since.
>
> I have tried:
>
> xcdroast
> gcombust
> cdrecord by itself
> mkisofs and burn iso
>
> And none have worked since the first audio CD I made. All data CD's work
> without any problems, the only problem is with audio CD's.
>
> Yamaha SCSI  8824S  CD-RW
>
> Any ideas as to what could be the problem?
> Thanks.

Hello,

did you try another audio CD player?

Sometimes burned CD wont work in newer CD player.
I haven't encountered this problem,
but my CD audio players are older.

I like to burn audio CDs from some I bought,
to have them redundant for my car CD changer.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: need help booting linux
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 18:36:09 +1000

Smells like hardware problem, memory, motherboard, cards, power supply.

If it does not respond to a booting diskette then this comes to mind.
Any success with DOS???? (Not Windows) Try and drop a line.

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 18:42:10 +1000

Have you changed the media manufacturer??
Some are better than others in this application. (No names - just the sorry
experience that you have I had before)

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: Cal Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: *** You need to install DocBook stylesheets ***
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 04:47:30 -0400

I looked at the site and I am unsure what exactly I am to install to get
the documentaiton to
build.

Is there an install guide?

------------------------------

From: Cal Page <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.4.3 Kernel Build Fails ldmxcsr in i387.c ?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 04:56:56 -0400

When I try to build the 2.4.3 kernel, I get the following compilation
error:

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/sdc1/linux/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2
-fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -march=i686    -c -o
i387.o i387.c
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:30: Error: no such 386 instruction: `ldmxcsr'
{standard input}:52: Error: no such 386 instruction: `fxsave'
{standard input}:87: Error: no such 386 instruction: `fxsave'
{standard input}:115: Error: no such 386 instruction: `fxrstor'

The latest 2.96.2 gcc doesn't built it, nor does egcs.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Cal

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: system.map
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:40:31 +1000

I have no clue on what an alternator may be

charges the battery. generates Ac regulated through diodes compared to a
generator
producing dc current.
dc current like pin number ( personal identification number number)

alternator provides higher current levels.

news:PFgx6.22713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:44:10 +1000

man system.map didn't turn up any thing.
before this post I never used klogd and probably wouldn't have thought man
klogd would tell me about system.map.

"Michael Heiming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Noah Roberts wrote:
> >
> > Michael Heiming wrote:

2.2,

------------------------------

From: William Kendrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LOCAL: April 3 LUGOD Meeting: FLTK Talk
Crossposted-To: ucd.general,ucd.life,ucd.cs.club,sac.announce,sac.general
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 09:44:10 GMT

LUGOD, The Linux Users' Group of Davis, will hold its next meeting on:

  Tuesday
  April 3, 2001
  6:30pm - 9:30pm

The meeting will be held at:

  Z-World, Inc.
  2900 Spafford Street
  Davis, CA 95616

The topic will be:

  FLTK: Fast/Light Toolkit
  presented by Gabriel Rosa

  FLTK (Fast Light Toolkit) is an LGPL'd (free, source available)
  C++ graphical user interface toolkit for X, OpenGL, and WIN32.
  FLTK was designed to be small and modular enough to be statically
  linked. FLTK also works fine as a shared library and has started
  being included on Linux distributions.

For details on this meeting, maps, directions, public transportation
schedules, etc., visit:

  http://www.lugod.org/meeting/

LUGOD is a non-profit organization dedicated to the Linux Operating System,
and which holds meetings twice a month in Davis, CA.

Meetings are always free, and open to the public.

Please visit our website for details:

  http://www.lugod.org/

-bill!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.lugod.org/

------------------------------

From: Wojciech Zabolotny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded
Subject: Embedded system with nfsroot & ramdisk - how to boot it?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:47:15 +0200

Hi All,

I need to prepare the small embedded system, using the read only nfsroot,
but having the /etc /var and /tmp directories located in the ramdisk.
Now I need some pointers how to arrange the boot sequence of that system.
The most obvious way is to boot with nfsroot, and use the modified "init"
to create the ramdisk, mount it and copy the "starting templates" of /etc
and /var to it. The /etc /var and /tmp directories in the root system
will be just the symlinks to /ramdisk/etc /ramdisk/tmp and /ramdisk/var.
It should be easy, because I use the "etlinux" distribution, where
/sbin/init
is just an Tcl script.
However I wouldn't like to reinvent the wheel, maybe there are another
well tested methods for booting such systems?
BTW. Is the /etc/mtab the only reason to have /etc mounted read-write?

                        TIA & Regards
                        Wojtek Zabolotny
                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS. Please Cc the answer to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 11:52:07 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

green wrote:

> man system.map didn't turn up any thing.
> before this post I never used klogd and probably wouldn't have thought man
> klogd would tell me about system.map.

This is true, but did you really read the first post to this thread I
wrote?

"For more info about system.map read:

man klogd

and (comes with the kernel sources):

Documentation/oops-tracing.txt"

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Support for LCD Monitors?
Date: 01 Apr 2001 12:53:08 +0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Buzzard) writes:
> > I think PnP
> > just means the monitor can identify its model to the PC through the VGA
> > connector.
>
> It can do a bit more than that I believe it can also signal what 'modes'
> it can cope with.

If you are running XFree86 4.0.x, you can check in the file
/var/log/XFree86.0.log to see all the information your monitor gives
through DDC. For example (with some stuff deleted):

(II) R128(0): VESA VBE DDC read successfully
(II) R128(0): Manufacturer: ICL  Model: 700  Serial#: 909
(II) R128(0): Year: 1995  Week: 45
(II) R128(0): EDID Version: 1.0
(II) R128(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.300 V
(II) R128(0): Sync:  Separate
(II) R128(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 26  vert.: 20
(II) R128(0): Gamma: 2.20
(II) R128(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display
(II) R128(0): redX: 0.625 redY: 0.340   greenX: 0.310 greenY: 0.592
(II) R128(0): blueX: 0.150 blueY: 0.063   whiteX: 0.303 whiteY: 0.325
(II) R128(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
[... long list of video modes ...]
(II) R128(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
(II) R128(0): Supported additional Video Mode:
[... even more video modes ...]
(==) R128(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) R128(0): Monitor0: Using hsync range of 30.00-64.00 kHz
(II) R128(0): Monitor0: Using vrefresh range of 48.00-100.00 Hz
(II) R128(0): Clock range:  12.50 to 400.00 MHz
[... list of modes rejected because of incompatible sync frequencies ...]
(--) R128(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) R128(0): Default mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz, 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
(--) R128(0): Display dimensions: (26, 20) cm
(--) R128(0): DPI set to (100, 97)

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 01 Apr 2001 12:53:08 +0300