From: Christos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Problem with reading CD-ROM
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:30:56 +0300

Frank Ranner wrote:

> Christos Siopis wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am having a problem with my CD-ROM drive: it does not read CD-ROMs any
> >
> > more! It can still play audio CDs though. Last time i read a (data)
> > CD-ROM
> > was several months ago, and it worked fine. I have made a few changes to
> >
> > my system since then, but i do not quite remember which, so i do not
> > know
> > if one of these could have created the problem! In particular, i cannot
> > remember if i ever succesfully read a CD-ROM after i upgraded to the
> > 2-2-16.3 kernel several months ago (RedHat 6.1).
> >
> > I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction by
> > taking a look at the error message and the /var/log/messages:
> >
> > % mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> Maybe your /dev/cdrom file is incorrect. Since your cdrom is detected as
> hdb,
> try:
> mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom
>
> Regards, Frank Ranner

Frank,

I tried your suggestion and got the exact same error message, and the exact
same entry in /var/log/messages:

attempt to access beyond end of device
03:40: rw=0, want=33, limit=0
dev 03:40 blksize=1024 blocknr=32 sector=64 size=1024 count=1
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev=03:40, iso_blknum=16, block=32

In case it helps:

% more /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda5               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     ext2     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/hda1               /mnt/msdos              vfat    defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

Thanks,
Christos

------------------------------

From: Christos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:32:29 +0300

Moshe,

Here's what my /etc/fstab looks like:

% more /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda5               /boot                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     ext2     exec,dev,suid,rw,noauto,owner 0 0
/dev/hda1               /mnt/msdos              vfat    defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

Does this help any?

Thanks,
Christos

From: Dino Hsu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Wildcard error with cp
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:37:29 +0800

Dear all,

I want to do this (in /etc):
cp modules.conf modules.conf.bak
with:
cp modules.conf *.bak

The message is quite unexpected:

<message start>
cp: copying multiple files, but last argument `sysctl.conf.bak' is not
a directory
Try `cp --help' for more information.
<message end>

Can anyone tell me why the wildcarding doesn't work? Thanks.

Dino

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: extended file attributes
Date: 17 Apr 2001 08:58:31 -0500

Curiosity has driven me to toy with the chattr command.  The man page
states that the "c mode" will cause a file to be dynamically compressed
as it's written to disk and decompressed as it's read from disk.

To explore this, I attempted to set the "c" attribute on an existing file,
and then check its disk usage (with du).  Its block allocation didn't
change (although perhaps it was still compressed--who knows?).  Not
thereby discovering anything, I created a new file (with touch), set
the "c" attribute on it, and copied the contents of another file into it;
but alas, the disk usage indicated exactly the same number of blocks
allocated to it.

Is this particular attribute functional?  And if so, how is it to be used?

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: "jf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing Question
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:49:07 -0500

How do I set up 'form' definitions on Linux (Red Hat) for use when I print
with 'lpr'. When I say form definitions, what I mean is something like
'3h32' which means 3-hole paper, 32 lines of text. This way, I can predefine
certain types of paper and label formats so that when I want to print them
in Linux, everything's in place to do so. I know this can be done in certain
flavors of Unix with tools such as 'lpforms' which allow the creation of
form types that include such things as lines per page and characters per
line. Is there a linux version of the lpforms utility, or are there other
tools out there that can do this for us when we use print using the 'lpr'
command.

Thanks in advance!
-jf-

------------------------------

From: lmc83 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: some question about initrd
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:59:43 +0800

hi,
    I have some question about initrd.
    If I have a compressed ramdisk image: initrd.gz put at a memory location
    for example: 0x00070000 (in fact, in my application, it is flash)

    1. what is the meaning of initrd_start in rd.c (linux-2.4.0)?
       Is it means 0x00070000?
       or is it means the initrd.gz will be decompressed to the
       location initrd_start?

    2. How to tell the kernel that I have a initrd who's image
       is located 0x00070000?
       I saw the Document/kernel-parameters.txt, is seems doesn't
       have suitable parameter for me to use.

       Should I modify the kernel source code to fit my requirement?
       I've saw the "How-To: make root/boot disk", it use floppy's
       specific sector as ramdisk image,
       I think is's a little similar to my application,
       I will try to just specify memory location instead of
       reading from floppy's specific sector.

    Thanks in advance for you help

    Liang Ming-Chung

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: rpmdb -- how to access?
Date: 17 Apr 2001 09:21:27 -0500

There's a package on the RH 6.2 cd called "rpmdb..." which purports to
contain a database of all RH packages in the distribution, such that
it could be searched for package locations of desired dependency
elements.  There's also a function of rpm, "--whatprovides", which
can presumably search a database and locate the package that provides
a particular element which some other package has as a dependency.

It seems like these 2 should play together, but I haven't found out
how to make them play.  I'm familiar with rpmfind, but that seems to
be only network-oriented.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Holger Eitzenberger)
Subject: Re: Wildcard error with cp
Date: 17 Apr 2001 14:10:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dino Hsu wrote:

>I want to do this (in /etc):
>cp modules.conf modules.conf.bak
>with:
>cp modules.conf *.bak
>
>The message is quite unexpected:
>
><message start>
>cp: copying multiple files, but last argument `sysctl.conf.bak' is not
>a directory
>Try `cp --help' for more information.
><message end>
>Can anyone tell me why the wildcarding doesn't work? Thanks.

Suppose there are three .bak files in /etc.  Think of what's
happening if you type

        $ ls /etc/*.bak

The shell will expand this into

        $ ls /etc/foo.bak /etc/bar.bak /etc/buz.bak

and will call the program 'ls' appropriately.  Now, if you type

        $ cp modules.conf *.bak

this will be expanded into

        $ cp modules.conf foo.bak bar.bak buz.bak

Now 'cp' just tries to be smart and assumes that the last
parameter (buz.bak) is a directory, it tries to copy the files
modules.conf, foo.bak, bar.bak into the "directory" buz.bak.
Since buz.bak isn't a directory it gives an error message and
aborts.

Regards.

Holger

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: capacity of exabyte 8200?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:12:15 GMT

Lupei Zhu wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have an Exabyte 8200 tape drive, connected to a PC running Linux
> RH7.0 and Solaris 2.6. Under solaris, it can hold up to 2.3G. but when I
> try to dump a 1.7G file system using this:
> dump -0 -f /dev/st0 /
> I got a message saying the dump  is estimated to be on 40 volumes
> (tapes) and I was soon prompted to put the second tape. I tried
> /dev/nst0, /dev/st0a, ..., no luck. Can anyone tell me what I need to
> do?

Make sure that the block size is set to 0 (variable length), using
mt.  You can loose HUGE amounts of space to inter-block gaps.  If "mt
setblk 0" doesn't work, then you need a different mt.  Look for
"mt-st".

You want to use the largest blocks possible, which also means
increasing the default Linux buffer size from 32k to at least 64k.
Read /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/README.st and change ST_BUFFER_BLOCKS
in st_options.h.  Or use a kernel parameter like "st=64".  I haven't
verified the latter, so I may have garbled the syntax.

In variable block mode, the size of the block written to the tape is
the size of the block written by the application.  I don't use dump,
and don't know if there's an option for that.  With tar, use the
Solaris default blocking factor of 127.  For example, "tar cvbf 127
/dev/st0 /home".  The "b" parameter is the number of 512 byte blocks.
I have gotten 2.3GB using tar, so dump should be able to do it.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Christoph Kukulies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: partitioning woes again - RH6.1
Date: 17 Apr 2001 14:19:36 GMT

I installed a RH 6.1 side by side (was the intention) with a Win2000
installation which was already there.

about 20 GB of a 40 GB IDE disk were partitioned like the following:

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2501.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)

Kommando (m für Hilfe): p

Festplatte /dev/hda: 255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren, 2501 Zylinder
Einheiten: Zylinder mit 16065 * 512 Bytes

    Gerät boot.  Anfang      Ende    Blöcke   Id  Dateisystemtyp
/dev/hda1   *         1        65    522081    6  FAT16
/dev/hda2            66      1226   9325732+   f  Win95 Erw. (LBA)
/dev/hda5            66       319   2040223+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6           320       323     32098+   4  FAT16 <32M
/dev/hda7           324       577   2040223+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda8           578      1226   5213061    7  HPFS/NTFS

I made the FAT16 <32M to a Linux 83 type partition as /boot.
(i.e. I entered the graphical installation with expert mode so that I
could choose fdisk instead of the atomatic disk druid - later I got
into the portion of the setup where to define the mount points though
and I don't know if that was dangerous finally).

Anyway after adding Linux partitions and installing RH 6.1 I ended with
Win2000 rendered unbootable. At the lilo prompt I booted dos /dev/hda1
Something like ntldr.sys could not be found although booting through msdos.sys
up to the point where the secondary boot into the OS should be performed.

The partition table now looks like:

Festplatte /dev/hda: 255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren, 2501 Zylinder
Einheiten: Zylinder mit 16065 * 512 Bytes

    Gerät boot.  Anfang      Ende    Blöcke   Id  Dateisystemtyp
/dev/hda1   *         1        65    522081    6  FAT16
/dev/hda2            66      1226   9325732+   f  Win95 Erw. (LBA)
/dev/hda3          1227      1292    530145   82  Linux Swap
/dev/hda4          1293      2501   9711292+  83  Linux
/dev/hda5            66       319   2040223+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda6           320       323     32098+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7           324       577   2040223+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda8           578      1226   5213061    7  HPFS/NTFS

Help appreciated, especially how I can recover booting into Win2k.

Could it be that naming order of partitions got garbled now under Win2K
and I just have to choose a different partition in msdos.sys?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Kirk R. Wythers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: simple ownership and permission question
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:43:35 +0000

I'm trying to set the permissions in a mounted dos directory (/dose). It
is owner and group root. I want to allow users to save downloads to a
subdirectory /dose/tmp.

I tried to chmod (as root). It doesnt have any affect. I also tried
chown, and chgrp, they both report "Operation not permitted" .

What am I missing here?

thanks,

Kirk

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: extended file attributes
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:10:26 +0200

Dave Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Curiosity has driven me to toy with the chattr command.  The man page
> states that the "c mode" will cause a file to be dynamically compressed
> as it's written to disk and decompressed as it's read from disk.

It will, if you applied the e2compr patches to ext2 support in the
kernel, and compiled ...

From: Leejay Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:30:32 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.misc: 17-Apr-101 Wildcard error with
cp by Dino [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I want to do this (in /etc):
> cp modules.conf modules.conf.bak
> with:
> cp modules.conf *.bak
>
> The message is quite unexpected:
>
> <message start>
> cp: copying multiple files, but last argument `sysctl.conf.bak'
> is not a directory
> Try `cp --help' for more information.
> <message end>
>
> Can anyone tell me why the wildcarding doesn't work? Thanks.

The shell expands wildcards before passing them on to 'cp' via
the argument vector... and the meaning of '*' is relative to
that directory, NOT to previous arguments such as modules.conf.

'cp: copying multiple files, but...' means that the 'cp'
command line, post-expansion, must have looked like:

   cp modules.conf blah.bak [something.bak [...]] syscntl.conf.bak
                    \                                           /
                     \____________________.____________________/

                      *.bak -- namely every existing .bak file
                      in that directory (/etc).

And 'cp a b ... y z' is interpreted as "copy files a through y
to DIRECTORY z".  syscntl.conf.bak was not a directory, hence
the error.

There must have been at least one other .bak file in addition to
syscntl.conf.bak, because if there had not been, the command
would have been

    cp modules.conf syscntl.conf.bak

which is a perfectly legal, albeit unintended, command -- as
long as syscntl.conf.bak is writeable (e.g. not immutable,
and writeable filesystem) and there's space.

To simply copy ONE file and add an extension, you might be
able to use a shell alias -- although a brief glance at the
'bash' manpage suggests that you can't use arguments in
bash aliases.  A short shell or Perl script would suffice
for multiple files, methinks.

--
|   [EMAIL PROTECTED]        | the silly student          |
|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: rec.photo.digital,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Am I fucked? HP Photosmart C500 and Win 2000
Date: 17 Apr 2001 14:43:11 GMT

On 17 Apr 2001 14:37:46 GMT, Igor3489 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I bought an HP Photosmart C500 digital camera. I have Linux and Win2000.
>
>Guess what, the stupid camera does not work with Win2000 because HP did
>not write a driver for it.
>
>It appears that the camera supports TWAIN.
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1) Is there another TWAIN driver/app that would support my camera, without
>the need for HP drivers?

TWAIN doesn't make the driver go away, it just puts a layer on top of it.
So, if I understand it right (I haven't used windows in 5 years or so),
the answer to that is probably no.

>2) Can I use the camera with linux? That would  be preferred as I do use
>linux much more than win2000.

No. Or at least, it's not listed as supported. However, the C200 C30 and C20
are, and maybe the driver will work with the C500 (stranger things happen ;-)

Check out www.gphoto.net

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Sudhakar R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftp,telnet
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:53:10 -0400

I'd recently installed a RH 7.0 box. But I'm unable to access it over the
network using telnet/ftp. Can someone please tell me how I can get the
services going.

Thanx in advance
-sud

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: simple ownership and permission question
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:00:14 GMT

Kirk R. Wythers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to set the permissions in a mounted dos directory (/dose). It

You can't. Dos doesn't have permissions, or owners ...

> is owner and group root. I want to allow users to save downloads to a

man mount. Options uid, gid, etc. etc.