You wrote on Die, 10 Apr 2001 :
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
>
> > I am  working with a SuSE 6.4 stock kernel 2.2.14.
> > In order to learn how to compile and introduce a new kernel, I am compiling a
> > 2.2.18 one.  I made menuconfig, compilation and installation went OK. But: the
> > new kernel does not work. My feeling is, that existing "/etc/rc.config" and the
> > new kernel dont match. ( I started the compilation with a minimal configuration,
> > and the result was a lot of failed services after booting, like i4l_hardware,
> > nfsserver, mysoundon,ethernet etc ) I did'nt put these services in menuconfig
> > of the new kernel, so I presume they come from "rc.config". How is the normal
> > procedure to compile a new kernel without_interfeering with the
> > configuration of the existing one ?  I did not find any hints in all the papers
>
> You didn't interfere with the configuration of the existing one.  It is
> still configured exactly as it was.  (unless you removed it, which would
> be silly before you know the new one works.)  But that is not at all
> what you mean, is it?  You want, in effect, to steal the configuration
> from the stock kernel and use it to make your own without bothering to
> think about it.

For sure I would like to do it. But I made a lot of experiments configuring the
new kernel, without results. Just as an ( very important ) example, I configured
to support "ne2k-pci.o" ( as a module ), that is the module for my ethernet
card, and I always get the message when booting
"/lib/modules/2.2.18/net/ne2k-pci.o: init_module:Device or resource busy"

And the ethernet card is not beeing recognised, no ping works. I think, this
can only happen, if the device was already being driven by another module or so
started by "rc.config" ?

I mean, I am willing to try a lot of reasonable configurations.  But I would
expect after some time and experiments, that I am going to get a working
kernel. And this is not the case ! Any suggestions ?

( I am very aware of the normal instructions to compile a new kernel, but there
is no reference to my problem anywhere )

Regards,
Edgar