On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> On Die, 10 Apr 2001  Richard Adams wrote:
>

> > How did you compile and install the kernel, ?.
> > Eachtly what commands were used.?
> First
> /usr/src/linux #  make menuconfig
> Then
> 1.)  /usr/src/linux # make dep
> 2.) /usr/src/linux # make clean
> 3.) /usr/src/linux # make bzImage
> 4.) /usr/src/linux #  make modules
> 5.) /usr/src/linux #  cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz
> 6.) /usr/src/linux #  lilo
> 7.) /usr/src/linux #  make modules_install
> 8.) /usr/src/linux #  cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.18
>
> My old kernel is already saved under vmlinuz.old  ;-)

If it is defined in /etc/lilo.conf then it should be bootable .

> > AFAIK no rc configuration file has anything to do directly with a kernel, it
> > simply turns on or does not turn on programs which depend on protocols and
> > drivers compiled into the kernel or compiled as modules.
> Then, how can it happen, that after configuring a minimal kernel I get such
> messages when booting like "failed services: i4l_hardware, i4l, route etc... " ?
> My "minimal" kernel was configured without net, ISDN, sound etc. The message
> must be driven by other means ( my suspiction, rc.config ? )

As i see it, your config file is starting your system like it does with the old
kernel, i did say, if you leave out protocols and services when compiling a new
kernel then that is the reason why you are getting the messages.

> > So quite possably the reson you get the improession your rc.config file does
> > not match your kernel is because you do not have "kernel" support for some of
> > the things which get started in that file.
> >
> OK for my test with the minimal kernel. But what does that mean ? Should I
> rename rc.config for the time I am experimenting with the new kernel ?

I doubt that very much.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]