Last year I read about a version of visualbasic available to run on linux
and think it was put under the gnu gpl license.  Thing is, I don't know if
it runs only in the gui environment or can run in the text environment.
If it runs in the text environment, the government could provide blind
programmers with talking linux boxes and that visualbasic application then
they'd be able to do development without the problems inherent with
running windows for the blind and running vb6.