On Thursday 01 January 1970 12:00, Heimo Claasen wrote:
> As Ray Olszewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There ae some implementations of BASIC for Linux, but I know of no
> > working VB implementation. If you do, a reference to a URL would be
> > helpful.
>
> Yes, there is a quite advanced Basic version (XBasic) but it suffers
> from a basic *nix (and thus Linux) structural property: just the best
> qualities of Basic - to control input and output on a rather low,
> hardware-near level - cannot be implemented because of this. Which is a
> real PITA as Basic is a great language when it comes to all sorts of
> string/text handling and screen/printer/comport output of such.
>
> Which in turn is a direct consequence of the paranoid "security"
> approach - "Oh My God Don't Let a 'user' Ever Get Near the Real Stuff
> (there has to be a SysAdmin for this who KNOWS about the tricks and
> will never tell and allow)". In fact, rather paternalistic. Which
> irritates me.

Well surely this is the same for any other programming language in Linux?
(By the way, that annoying paternalistic approach is found on Windoze
networks too....     and if the 'security' approach is part of the reason my
Linuxbox isn't riddled with viruses like Winboxes, I'll tolerate it).

I've found keyboard input / screen output in Xbasic slightly more complicated
than with Quickbasic, but I put that down to the fact that XBasic is
GUI-based, I found that same thing with the only other GUI language I've
used, BBC Basic 5 on the Archimedes.   As soon as you introduce WIMP/GUI,
everything gets more complicated.   :(

So far as file handling (reading / writing) goes, Xbasic is as easy as any
variety of Basic I've used, and it does *not* constantly run out of memory
like Quackbasic...

cr