At 05:51 PM 10/23/02 -0400, Bryan Simmons wrote:
Perhaps dma wasn't the problem.  Here's the output when I execute hdparm
on /dev/hdc (my CD-RW):

/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

When I try to retrieve the read-ahead setting: hdparm -a /dev/hdc I get:

/dev/hdc:
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error

Does anyone know of a web site where I can research these errors?  Or
does anyone have an idea, off the top of their heads, why this could be
happening?

I don't have a reference, but I did take a minute to get the same results for my two drives. Both work fine. Here is what I get:

First, for hdc, which is a DVD drive acessed via IDE --

waverly:/home/autovcr# hdparm /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Invalid argument
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 1 (on)
readahead = 8 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

Now for hdd, my CD-RW drive, accessed via ide-scsi emulation --

waverly:/home/autovcr# hdparm /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument

And just to complete the comparison, here is one of the same system's hard disks --

waverly:/home/autovcr# hdparm /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:
multcount = 16 (on)
IO_support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 15017/255/63, sectors = 241254720, start = 0

From this, I infer that the two errors I see on both removable drives reflect differences between CD drives and hard disks. The BLKRAGET error is somehow associated with use of scsi-ide emulation, but does not interfere with my ordinary use of the drive.

So ... you might, just as a test, remove the scsi-ide emulation and see if you can then read the problem CD. If not, you can then check the readahead setting and see if it seems to be wrong. More likely, since the problem is specific to the one disk, there is something unusual about it that needs to be corrected. When it is mounted, does it return sensible results in its listings of "df" and "ls -l"? Can you "dd" it to an iso image? Is it iso9660 compliant?