At 05:04 PM 10/24/02 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[...]
By the way, I'm not sure what enabling/disabling DMA has to do with
reading a faulty CD-ROM.  It's not like you're enabling/disabling
UDMA, which has error correction to detect errors on the _bus_.
Enabling DMA has nothing (that I know of) to do with reading a faulty CD-ROM. I originally suggested it as a solution because in his first message, Bryan (the original poster) described his problems in a very vague way ("has trouble reading large files"). That sounded to me like it might refer to a problem I have seen ... namely, a lot of dropped frames ... when doing video playback from a CD drive that does not have DMA enabled. Enabling DMA does fix that, since it is a timing issue.

When Bryan's subsequent messages made it clear that (a) this was a problem limited to a specific, home-burned CD and (b) the problem occurred in non-timing-sensitive settings like copying to a hard disk, I suggested that the problem was with the CD's filesystem, not DMA.

The lesson here is that vague descriptions of problems elicit irrelevant solutions. I hope everyone who reads this list takes that lesson to heart.