Shows how much I know about basic system design...

In fact, I was shocked to learn last night that ext2 uses linked lists
to keep track of files in a directory.  Why is this?  Did the guys who
wrote the file system specs go to school for computer science?  I can't
tell you how many times my cmsc professors have told us that the linked
list is totally inferior to the tree.  At least, it is when it comes to
large sets of data.  Perhaps the ext2 guys never saw the need for
extremely large sets of files in a single directory, but still, even
when hashing, it is suggested that you not handle collisions with linked
lists...
Stacks and queues are one thing (when used for temporary operations,
like iterators and memory management).  But persistent data is another.
I would never want to store stuff in a list if it is always going to be
accessed, growing and shrinking...

--
Regards,

Bryan Simmons

 On Integrity:

 "I'm going to be as good as they let me and
  as mean as they make me, and they all know
  that.  I don't ever lie. If I tell you a
  rooster can fly, get the harness."

   --Burl Cain, Louisiana State Pen Warden