> > According to a conversation I had with another helper on this list,
> > there is an experimental IDE CR driver that does away with the scsi
> > emulation.  I was under the impression that this was the only way to
> > turn on the dma setting.
>
> Then i stand corrected, as i know nothing of such a driver, it could be that
> such a driver is being developed into 2.5 kernels, however those kernels are
> not things to use on normal systems as they are what they are, "experimental".
>
> Perhaps the "other helper" on this list would like to tell us where to find
> information on this driver.

I believe I am "the other helper" :-)

Yes, you are right, 2.5 contains changes that will eventually allow cd
recording without using SCSI emulation:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cdrecord+%22torvalds%40transmeta.com%22&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=r&selm=Pine.LNX.4.44.0210161437010.1108-100000%40penguin.transmeta.com.lucky.linux.kernel&rnum=3

By the way, I'm not sure what enabling/disabling DMA has to do with
reading a faulty CD-ROM.  It's not like you're enabling/disabling
UDMA, which has error correction to detect errors on the _bus_.

John.