On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, Ray Olszewski wrote:
Thanks for this detailed response, Ray.

> diald is a dialing daemon that uses pppd to maintain a persistent, or an
> on-demand, connection to a dial-up ISP. I thought its functionality had
> been superseded by pppd itself being capable of supporting persistent and
> on-demand connections ... but I haven't used dialup in several years now,
> so my memory may be fooling me.

You may be right about diald having been superseded. I've done a bit of
research on pppd in the past and seemed to be recalling that it is
capable of on-demand connection to the ISP - i.e., that it can await
requests for the 'net and then dial the connection, whether these requests
originate from the localhost or somewhere on a LAN. I used diald at the
recommendation of someone else, who seemed to think it would be what I'd
need for my small home network. He proposed it as a way that would
allow the machine that will act as the gateway to watch for internet
connection requests from the network and dial the connection. Perhaps he
was a bit outdated, and should have suggested that pppd can now serve these
sorts of functions?

> In any case, diald probably runs as root because it is started by an init
> script, such as the one that starts networking (since the original poster
> does not mention what Linux distro he is using, I won't try to guess the
> name or path of the script). It is probably set up intentionally to prevent
> ordinary users from disabling it.
>
> Without knowing more about the poster's setup, I don't know what the best
> workaround is. I suspect it is to allow his ordinary-user account either to
> stop diald entirely, or to close its current connection (I can't tell which
> of these two things he is actually trying to do)  via sudo ... which I
> imagine can be added to his "Icewm toolbar".

This setup involves a machine that will act as a gateway that runs a new,
somewhat modified Debian version called "Libranet." There is one other,
and may be as many as 2 more machines on the LAN that will need to connect
to the 'net via this computer. Getting something like diald working - or
just pppd, if it will do the job - is a preliminary step, mainly
calculated to buy me time as I try to digest the much more difficult (and
more fundamental) problem of ipchains. I've got the howto for it, but it's
got this newbie's brains quite taxed. I'll doubtless be posting some
questions on that related topic in the not-too-distant future. I do want
the user to be able to break the connection to the 'net as you suggest,
and not necessarily stop diald. I wasn't sure there was a difference, but your
post makes it clear that there is. Thanks.

> A closing thought ... if I am right about diald being superseded by pppd
> itself, then the orniginal poster *may* be trying to connect to the
> Internet using a very old version of Linux. This is not a good idea, for
> security reasons, and I'd encourage him to update to the current version of
> his preferred distro.

The distro is new, and has the latest Woody security updates. Probably no
big worries there. I think I just got some rather dated advice on how to
set up demand dialing.

James