At 11:52 AM 3/10/2003 -0600, James Miller wrote:
[...]
But once connected, the gateway needs to be able to pass packets
designated for the computer on the LAN that requested the connection, right?
For that, I understood I'd need something like ipchains or iptables - to
route packets to where they're supposed to go on my LAN.

Actually, it depends, but the likely answer in *your* case is YES. iptables (and ipchains) does firewalling, not routing as such. For *simple* routing, all you need to do is turn routing on in the kernel and provide a suitable routing table, neither of which involves iptables or ipchains. You need iptables (or ipchains an some related apps) if you need to --

A. Have all LAN hosts share a single public IP address, which you do via Network Address Translation (NAT), also called IP Masquerading in a Linux setting.
B. Run any servers on a NAT'd LAN that offer services to the outside (as though they were located at the public IP address), using port forwarding.
C. Provide any firewall protection to your LAN (always a good idea, and especially so if your LAN hosts use public IP addresses).
D. Provide various other packet-processing functionality not commonly used on dial-up connections from homes or small businesses.

The reason I say YES is likely is because dial-up connections almost always use NAT.