ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-8.1/

 Hi, Hal:

 I downloaded slackware-9.0-install.iso and burned a CD.
The resultant CD boots on two of three computers that I
tried it on.  I suggest going to the above URL and downloading
the iso image.  Here is a mirror that seems close to me:

ftp://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/os/slackware/slackware-8.1-iso/

 Sometimes I get all the domain names from:
http://www.slackware.com/getslack/
 then ping them to see which is fastest.  Then I
get the file(s) from the fastest one.  ;-)

To date, I have purchased one CD set from Slackware and
one from CheapBytes. I currently use Slackware v8.0 with
kernels 2.2.19, 2.2.25, 2.4.19, 2.4.20 on various computers.

 Can you mount and read the bootable CD with your current
slackware v8.0 computer?  I still think you can copy a boot
image to one of your existing partitions and boot it
with one floppy or even your existing boot loader.

 If you can mount your 'bootable' install CD under 8.0,
copy the base directory and the /slakware directory to
an existing partition.  Then when you select your install
media, use this hard drive partition.

HTH, Chuck