On 7 Jun 2003 at 18:23, Chuck Gelm wrote:

> Thanks, Ray:
>
> Odd, here is a segment of (*my*) 'man crontab' showing
> the example lines. Every example has 'date' as the 6th field. :-|
> (*my* = slackware-8.0, kernel-2.2.19, firewall, ip-masq)
> Maybe the examples show how to run the 'date' program?
>
> # MIN HOUR DAY MONTH DAYOFWEEK   COMMAND
> # at 6:10 a.m. every day
> 10 6 * * * date

<snip>

Yeah, it's showing you how to run 'date' at various times and
intervals.

Here's a bit of what Red Hat's "man 5 crontab" says (for what it's worth):

The time and date fields are:

       field          allowed values
       minute         0-59
       hour           0-23
       day of month   1-31
       month          1-12 (or names, see below)
       day of week    0-7 (0 or 7 is Sun, or use names)

-jdr-