The first thing you need to pin down is whether this is an X problem or some sort of USB problem (possibly one involving a kernel module).

To do that, see if you can boot successfully to a command prompt. The simplest way to do that is to use your emergency procedure to get access to the hard disk, then rename the file /etc/rc2.d/S99xdm to something that will not execute (I usually change it to No99xdm). Then see if the system will boot/init successfully.

If it does, then your problem is with X, and we need to explore that more closely.

If not, then your problem is probably with the recent changes you made, and we need to examine them more closely.

(Another option is to see if you can telnet or ssh to the system after it boots/inits but apparently "hangs". This could work if the problem is just an unusually nasty console error, but not if it is a kernel problem. Also, I don't know if your system is on a LAN and runs the needed daemons for these connections.)

(Another option, if your lilo setup permits it, is to boot into single-user mode. This will not run the rc2 scripts so will not start xdm.)

I cannot find any Sid package with the name "usbitem" or (if I check "usb") anything close to it, so I suspect another paraphrase. If so, and if the problem seems to be with usb, please be specific about which usb packages you've installed.

In partlcular, since you quote log output referencing keyboard problems, might you have installed (for example) "console-keymaps-usb"?

Or have you installed any "usb-modules-*" package ... these install kernel modules that could cause problems ... a kernel has no real protection against a module bug, since modules when run become part of the kernel.