I'm beginning to suspect some kind of wierd hardware failure, frankly.  I
hadn't rebooted the computer for quite some time (more than a month, I
think) prior to trying to work out this usb thing.  The first time I
rebooted it after tinkering with usb stuff, I got a pause and the "no
signal" message on the blank monitor for a second or two before xdm
appeared.  I was actually a bit disturbed by it momentarily - sort of in
preparation for an "oh no, what's wrong" feeling, though the eventual
appearence of xdm preempted that.  But on subsequent reboots, xdm does not
finally appear.  What kind of hardware problem this could be is beyond me:
as I said, booting from Knoppix that display looks fine when the gui comes
up - apart from being 1024x768 rather than the 1280x1024 this monitor is
supposed to run at.  Just some further reflections on this strange
situation.  Further feedback appreciated.

James

PS I can still boot from a 2.4.x kernel on the system - though I'll be
without mouse support.  Maybe I should try that?