This is all a bit beyond me, Ray.  But, taking your advice again, I looked
in /etc/modules - nothing there referring to usb.  Then, I looked in
/etc/rc2.d: there, I found S15usbmgr which I changed to NoS15usbmgr.
Rebooted with the 2.6.5 kernel, issued startx - same system hang requiring
a telnet session to reboot the machine.  Next, I looked in rcS.d.
Nothing about usb in there, but I found something relating to another
package I recently installed - hotplug.  So, I changed S40hotplug to
NoS40hotplug.  Rebooted, issued startx and - WALLA! - normal X and gui
startup!  I'm not quite sure where to go from here, apart from doing some
more testing to make sure the hotplug thing is the culprit (changing
NoS15usbmgr back to S15usbmgr).  I looked at the xfree log in /var/log
that you mentioned, but could not identify any significant problem areas -
not that my xfree log interpretation skills are much to speak of.
Anyway, while I do a bit more experimentation, let me just ask what you
think of upgrading X on this system to the latest 4.3?  I'd like to update
it anyway.  Do you think it holds any potential for resolving this
problem, or it could possibly interfere with any further troubleshooting?
Similarly, a 2.6.6 kernel is now available for Sid.  While I'm not too
wild about loading a new kernel (I run vmware and so will have to compile
new modules for it if I upgrade the kernel), I would consider it if it
held some potential for resolving the current display problem.  Any advice
on that?  Thanks so much for your input: at least I have a vague idea now
of the problem's nature.

James