At 08:05 PM 6/11/2004 -0500, James Miller wrote:
Thanks for your input, Ray.

For the most part, I'm going to wait to think more about this until you report the result of the telnet test. Also, since your problem does seem to be specific to X, you should round up the usual suspects here ...

what kernel? Debian stock or compiled by you?
what video hardware (card and monitor)?
what X server (I saw a passing reference to radeon in the log output, but please confirm this)?
am I correct in thinking (from the radeon reference) that you are using a framebuffer in the kernel?

Check the timestamp on /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to make sure it hasn't been changed more recently than you think it should have been.

Debian normally is set up to log X's STDERR output to /var/log/XFree86.log Check there, rather than in /var/log/mesages, for the details of whatever problems X is finding.

In connection with the usb* installs, did you do an apt-get update/upgrade (or dist-upgrade) of the system? If yes, is it possible that doing so changed some of your X settings (by a new xserver-xfree86 package rewriting /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, which would cause you to lose any changes you made by hand ... that is, outside the debconf method)

As to usb modules ... since we only care about them if they are running, use "lsmod" to check that.