At 08:36 PM 6/11/2004 -0500, James Miller wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> (Another option is to see if you can telnet or ssh to the system after it
> boots/inits but apparently "hangs". This could work if the problem is just
> an unusually nasty console error, but not if it is a kernel problem. Also,
> I don't know if your system is on a LAN and runs the needed daemons for
> these connections.)

I was able to telnet into the hung system.  It reacted very sluggishly,
which indicated to me there was a heavy processing load.  I fired up Top,
which showed XFree86 taking 98+% of CPU.  I had trouble killing it with
Top.  I finally issued "reboot" and the system eventually went down.

Hmmm ... sound slike X is unable to complete its initialization. But that's just a guess, and I can't even guess *ahy* this might be happening. The added questions I asked for in my last message (which I probably sent after you sent this one but before I received it) may help you pin this down. I'll wait for a response to that message before I try to suggest anything more.

In case it seems like the solution might be to upgrade/reinstall the
xserver: I can't quite figure out what Debian is doing about the fork in
the X project.  Are they sticking with XFree, or going with X.org?  I
tried looking for X packages in hopes of determining something about this,
but it didn't resolve much (no X11R7 packages, or whatever they're calling
the new release.  sorry, but I just can't recall the name I searched under
off the top of my head, but I did get the name from a reliable source).

I haven't followed this myself so cannot help you ... I cannot even confirm that there *is* a fork in X ... beyond noting that the Debian package is named xserver-xfree86, which implies it at least is staying with xfree86.org's version. For more, you might check the Debian Website (www.debian.org) yourself.

[old stuff deleted]