James Miller wrote:

This has all been a long-winded preface to the question: what
the heck I gotta do to get my NIC modules back to loading on boot? Am I

Well, since you know the modules to be loaded , the quick and dirty solution would be to put a shell script
in /etc/init.d which says modprobe this and modprobe that.... followed by an ifup -a (just to be sure!)
I used this and works fine for me......

gonna run into other module problems as well? What's the way to start

That's somthing you'll have to wait and watch (I guess;-)

this process that gets the module loading routine working as it should be?
I think there was a reference to modules.dep or maybe modules.conf in that
message I saw during dist-upgrade.  But there was definitely nothing there
telling me how I could manually start the process that couldn't finish
during dist-upgrade.  Any pointers, please?

Thanks, James

PS Most of the above refers to having booted using the new kernel (2.6.6,
though some of those boots were with the old 2.6.5 kernel and one was even
with the 2.4.22 kernel). None of those were able to use eth0 and gave the
same error message during the boot process.

possibly modules .conf was to be written on bootup or something....?.

regards, Joy.M.M