On Monday 14 June 2004 20:50, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> BTW, I read through the man page for initrd, and from what is there, I
> would expect linuxrc to use /etc/modules as its information source about
> what modules to load. I could easily be wrong here, though ... the man page
> *really* is unclear about where linuxrc (part of initrd) gets module
> information from.

I dont want to sound like a wet rag but, why would one even try to install the
same kernel version?, why use initrd, simply compile ones own kernel using
the default config file supplied by your distro, (normally found in /boot) on
most systems thesedays.
The trick here is to edit the top dir Makefile and define another
"EXTRAVERSION" then all modules go into another directory under /lib/modules/
leaving the old kernel and its modules intacht and allowing you to use it to
boot if the new kernel fails.

I am not bashing at distro's other than slackware (of which i swear by), i
also have redhat and suse running here, slackware is very basic and IMHO
never gets one into such a state that i have read about here.

Rpm's, aptgets are all well and dandy, they are there for ones easyness,
however reading thro' most debian and suse mailing lists the truth is far
from it.

Slackware and simple tar files IMHO the easiest.

Once again i mean no offence with what i say, its just 12+ years of slackware
experiance and 6 years of using other systems like Redhat and suse give me
that impression.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of thieves because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/