On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, James Miller wrote:

Not totally, no. cat /pro/interrupts shows only PAS16 assigned to IRQ 3. But dmesg output has ttyS1 using IRQ 3. It's a bit confusing to me. I assigned it IRQ 3 because previously, when checking cat /proc/interrupts output I was not even seeing 3 listed. There's nothing hooked to ttyS1 btw. I suppose it's one of the machine's 2 serial ports.

This could be the problem. Interrupt 3 is allways assigned to serial port afaik.
Try to use another interrupt for the sound card.

There's no other available IRQ as far as I can tell. I do have the option of turning off the port in the BIOS which, I suppose, could affect things. Before trying anything like that though I should mention that sound played through this card from the CD is flawless (or as flawless as sound from an old soundcard playing through dimestore speakers can be). It's only when trying to play from sound apps with music stored on the harddrive that I get the distortion I've been describing. Still think it's an IRQ problem?

Afaik playing sound from the CD through soundcard doesn't involve software. It still looks like an IRQ problem.

Can you post your /proc/interrupts here ?

Also if your soundcard is an ISA one and your BIOS allow you, you can play with the way BIOS assign IRQ to devices (ISA/PCI or PCI) but this could be a dangerous thing if you don't know what you are doing.
On a normal system interrupts 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 are normally assigned to ISA devices and 14 and 15 to PCI IDE. The rest of them depends of the configuration of the machine.
I usually saw that IRQ 5 or IRQ 9 was used by older soundcards.

-- ?