At 04:13 PM 4/6/2005 -0500, James Miller wrote:
[...]
With sb_irq=XXX (and so forth) in the same line as pas2, I do not get these sorts of error messages. Just a clean:
Pro Audio Spectrum driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996

But sound still works very poorly. Very scratchy when I play mp3's/ogg's with pauses when I open an application, switch terminals or some other computer activity takes place.

One thing you don't mention trying is using a different audio device. I suggest you try directing output to /dev/audio1 or /dev/dsp1 and see if that improves the result. I don't know how to do that with mp3blaster; with mpg123 you would do

        mpg123 -a /dev/dsp1 nameoffile.mp3

With ogg123, you'd do:

        ogg123 -d oss -o dsp:/dev/dsp1 nameoffile.ogg

BTW, the other poster who suggested a problem with your use of IRQ3 may be right. If so, the use of dsp1 may fix that too, since you have SB emulation associated with IRQ5.

[...]
A trip over to Frys (or the local equivalent) is getting more tempting all the time. Any recommendations for reasonably-priced, Linux-compatible cards? I'm no kind of audiophile: heck, if I were, I wouldn't be using a computer to listen to sound. Just something serviceable. I'm happy with the "sound quality" (I being a former audiophile I use that phrase loosely) I get out of a Soundblaster awe 64 on my other machine.

It's been almost 2 years since I set up a Linux system using new hardware, but back then, I tried to get SoundBlaster16 cards (usually around $25 back then). They use the OSS es1371 driver (usually compiled in stock kernels, I think) and work pretty well for both recording and playback. I've also used a Yamaha card and been happy with it.