Just my $.02.

I had the same problem running RH 5.1 when I compiled 2.0.36.  I found that
the rc.sysinit script was not finding the directory even though it was
looking in the right place.  As far as I can tell, the steps that the script
goes through is as follows:
    1) Delete the symlink "preferred" in /var/modules
    2) Look for the current kernel version
    3) Make a symlink called "preferred" to the directory in /var/modules
that matches the booted kernel version

For some reason it didn't work, so I just took all that out of the scripts
since I don't make changes to my system often.  Some of the others on this
group may have comments as to if this is not wise.  If so I invite comments.

Pollywog wrote the following:

> I tried to install the Linux 2.0.36 kernel but when I rebooted to the new
> kernel, I got errors about not finding module dependencies.  I recompiled
> again with the same results.  Has anyone else had this problem with
2.0.36?
> Could it have been a bad kernel source? I got it from sunsite.unc.edu

Another message from Jer Wiebe

Find me at...
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ: 4945359