From:   Ray Olszewski [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Wednesday, 27 January 1999 4:55
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: modem trouble

I'm not sure what you mean by "not dial in xwindows," but since you write of
wanting to use a graphical browser, I infer that you are trying to establish
a PPP connection. If that is so, any attempt by pppd and chat to create a
connection should leave evidence in your log files (probably
/var/log/messages) in the form of a series of messages marked as from chat
&/or pppd. Take a look at those messages for information about what failed
in the attempt, and if you can't interpret them, post another message that
includes one *complete* set of messages -- I or someone else on the list may
be able to interpret them for you.

Also take a look at the options being passed to pppd (might be out of a
script, from the /etc/ppp/options file, or something else) to make sure they
are okay (again, post the set if you need help interpreting them).

BTW, you don't have to run pppd from within X11. You can establish a ppp
connection from the command line, then start X (or start X, then start pppd
in an xterm). Not sure if this would be better for you, but it's how I do it.

At 03:06 PM 1/27/99 +1100, Peter kazdera wrote:
>hi all
>
>i have a slight problem first i could not get my modem to work with linux
>period but i posted a question three days ago and after reciving a
>bountiful sum of responses i have managed to get it to work in the shell
>and i' am able to use minicom but now i have encountered another problem
>aka it will still not dial in xwindows and i would sure like to use the
>graphical browser for the internet
>
>i have used linuxconf to set it up but to no avail
>
>please help :)

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]