On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Shaggy Im-erbtham wrote:

> My next Slackware/Samba project is to make a fax server out of my Linux
box
> which already is file server to three win95 clients. I have not yet
> installed X.
>
> I have downloaded Hylafax tar files and printed out the documentation
in
> hard copy. Not being a wimp or anything, but by skimiing the docs I
found
> the the building and configuration of Hylafax very advanced, requiring
gcc
> C++ compiler, C++ runtime libraries, ghostscript, etc. etc.  while my
> exposure to Linux is merely six weeks, no prior UNIX experience.
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is there another viable alternative to Hylafax, may be one that is
> simpler to install and maintain? If possible, one not requiring X.

Not sure what you mean by a fax server.  Do you want to send faxes?
receive them?  Fax on demand with a phone maze?  Call phone numbers at
random looking for a fax modem, and serve up pornography? :-).
Mgetty+sendfax has some capablilities along these lines, but not much in
the way of viewing or composing faxes (which you'll likely need X for)
and it doesn't need X.  Should be fairly straightforward to build;
configuration looks fairly involved just because there are so many
different and conflicting ways you can try to use a modem.
metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/serial/getty/mgetty+sendfax*
and mirrors.   <>
tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/sbin/mgetty+sendfax*

> 2) With or without the option in  (1), would it be worthwhile at this
point
> to go ahead and attempt installing Hylafax, given my limited
background? I
> know any learning experience is good but there should at least be (in
my
> mind) a remote chance of success. I don't want to be a highschool
junior
> attending a class in nuclear physics, if  you know what I mean.

C++ is not _necessarily_ a big deal.  Slackware probably comes with g++
2.7.2.3 (g++ --version) you might want to check what version hylafax
needs.  Likewise for libg++ and libstdc++.  At one time there was some
strange version numbering with them that seemed to be related to libc5/6
version control.
But why would anything need ghostscript to configure itself?
Ghostscript is very nice for reading postscript files without springing
for a postscript printer, since everybody was hell-bent for a while on
making *.ps doco, but I've never seen a configure.ps or Makefile.ps.
They're obscure enough in text, thanks.:-)  With Slackware, you want to
check what libc version it wants, unless you have installed glibc (I
did, and don't regret it.)  It's probably in contrib on slackware.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

> TIA,
> Shaggy
> Bangkok, Thailand

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]