On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Michael Stearne wrote:
>Which is better, KDE or gnome?  From what I understand they both run
>below your current window manager and handle other things like drag and
>drop and clipboards.
>
>Also, as far as window managers, are there any that look like MacOS
>(although MacOS X looks similar to NextStep, so they're getting similar
>anyway).
>
>Michael

Hoping not to ignite a KDE/GNOME flameware, I will risk a response...

I don't think GNOME is ready for prime time yet. KDE is.

Here's where I feel GNOME is presently lacking:

Hard to install. I download a million files, try to install, and find
out I need yet another library not in their download tree.

Applications don't work well together. Since this is the stated goal of
GNOME, it's a big problem. The impression I get is that of programmers
working in isolation.

No window manager. It's supposed to work with any "compliant" window
manager, but you end up with aesthetically challenged desktops. 32x32
and 48x48 icons intermixed, multiple themes clashing, etc.

No documentation. That I've found.

With that said, there are still very usable parts of GNOME. And they
can be used with KDE with little problem (and vice versa). Both parties
profess that they're trying to make themselves compatible with the
other, and I hope they succeed. Both being open source software, I hope
they start stealing from each other.

One final note. If you insist on using GNOME because it's somehow
"official", rms approved, Gnu's in the name, or whatever, do a bit of
research first and use your common sense. If it has to be official Gnu,
then why are you running Linux? I escaped the Windows world where I had
to use a certain desktop because I had no choice, to a world where I'm
supposed to use a certain desktop because it's politically correct. Use
whatever desktop you want.

 --
Arandir...