According to Mitchell Gil Maltenfort: While burning my CPU.

> his is exactly what I do. However, one of the shutdown messages,
> >immediately before "System halted" is
> >
> >On the next boot fsck will be FORCED.
> >
> >Sound *as if* something is wrong although next boot-up is always OK. Is
> >there anything wrong or am I being paranoid??
>

> Nothing is wrong.  I don't know where this is configured, but your system is
> keeping a count of how many times it was booted up between using 'fsck' to
> check the partitions.  Once a certain count is reached, it forces 'fsck' to
> be called (as opposed to 'fsck' being a user option normally) to perform the
> Linux equivalent of 'scandisk'.

As to the reason why the poor old chap is getting that message i cant quite
understand, however, when a filesystem is unmounted "uncleany" that sort of
message could appier, further more the "mount count" can be changed with
'tune2fs' the man page thereof will explain more.

An entry in /etc/fstab with the 5th and 6th fields set to 0 might stop silly
behaviour. man fstab

--
Regards Richard.