> Now I want to use the OS.
> The computer I want to run linux on is a 486MHz,
I have a 486 66
> with 4Mb RAM(not-upgraded.  I can add more memory),
12 M
> 170 MegaByte Hard Disk,
210 M
> CD-ROM included so I can install from that drive.
6X, and I had the same thought as you. Linux can run on such a system,
but not X. Programs are also noticeably slower, and space is tight RH
5.2 will not fit in its full character glory in 170 methinks. To me the
most important thing about Linux is a modem.

So if you do not mind the CLI
Pop in some more RAM (as much as you can afford)
Buy a bigger HD (some 486s cannot handle over 508)
Find the fastest 486 cpu you can find (this should be cheap)

Given the outlay I would advise looking for deals on second hand
equipment.

--
The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral
crisis, preserved their neutrality.