...for anyone but geeks.

I'm evaluating Linux as an alternative to Windows NT in a large organization
(more than one million seats), but so far I am completely unconvinced that
this OS has any chance of upsetting the market equation.  Users won't use it
because it takes a geek to implement the most minor user interface change.
Administrators (with any sense) will shy away from it for that reason and
the FACT that they will have to sacrifice sleep to live on these list
servers to resolve the simplest of problems.

For example, a user cannot install productive software for Linux (if they
can even find such a thing) and expect it to work without extensive work by
the already overworked administrative staff.  How do they add an icon for
the program to their work environment?  How do they install the latest video
driver?  My experience is that they must download several megabytes of
files, follow poorly written and cryptic instructions, and then run
XF86Setup to configure their system.  The latter step requires them to know
every technical detail about their configuration such as the video card
BIOS, clock settings, and maximum resolution plus the horizontal refresh
rate of their monitor!  I'm sorry, but NT drivers are much more
user-friendly:  load it, reboot (sometimes) and go.

My latest expedition into the chaotic world of Linux video support was to
install a user's machine to use the Creative Labs Graphics Blaster RivaTNT.
I downloaded and installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 (no mean task).  This update
allowed XF86Setup to recognize the full capabilities of the graphics
adapter, but disabled (or hid) the user's normal window manager (AfterStep).
The result was a lame and unusable "windows manager" that does nothing - no
ability to access productivity programs.  The display looks great, but my
user cannot work!  Hardly a smart upgrade.

In contrast, my NT users can download and install graphic driver updates
without administrator intervention. They are productive within five minutes
of the update.

Anybody have some advice on how to get a new X driver running?  How do we
get the updated X-manager to load the previously configured windows manager?
How do we get the windows manager to recognize (with an icon) newly
installed software?

Thanks,
Mike