Mike:

I'm not a geek.  I'm middle age and I've worked in human services all my
life.  Discovered Linux one year ago.  Installed RH 5.1 last summer and am
learning on that.

Mike, if I were asking some of what you're asking below, I'd _want_ a geek
to help me out.  On this forum people (1) give as much detail as they can
about what each problem is, and (2) wait (not very long) for lots of help.
There are people from New Zealand to Russia who have provided very
knowledgeable and courteous answers.  Some of it is cryptic (to me).  I
don't care.  I learn by aiming every day just a little higher.  I plan on
doing that until they thump the shovel over me.

If you are happy with NT, for golly sake don't move just because Linux is
the fastest growing and perhaps the most stable platform for serious
production needs in the industry.  Try to ignore that tens of thousands of
programmers, many of them world-class (for example, Donald Becker of the
Goddard Space Flight Center wrote many NIC drivers for Linux and
occasionally drops in on Linux-Newbie), who are working on Linux at the
speed of the internet.  I'm not pulling your chain here.  If what you're
already doing is working, stay with it.

But there's a tone in your message that says you are anxious to get info in
a hurry.  Someone with more knowledge than me will no doubt provide specific
answers if your questions are specific enough (some of them don't seem to
be).  I'm now with an ISP who has been using Linux since they started in
1995.  IMCNET now has 22 servers.  Two are NT and twenty are Linux (Debian
and RedHat).  When I need help on specifics (and I've done my homework and
read the books and articles I've collected, and I still don't get it), often
a local phone call does it.  IMCNET now sponsors a Linux user's group.
Mike, LUG's are showing up just about everywhere.  Clarkson University is
nearby, a world-class engineering school.  The Computer Science majors there
have been very helpful.  Before a local LUG appeared, I could phone those
guys and get info on nearly any question.

If you're looking for a GUI that allows a novice to do everything with no
knowledge, forget it.  No one's been holding my hand in learning this thing,
and no one's going to hold yours.  But if you can step back, slow down, and
take a breath, you may find there's more available than you first thought.

People who want help and who aren't already helping themselves, gee, maybe
annoyances.com might help them stay with NT.  But Linux-Newbie isn't the
forum for how to do everything with no knowledge or self-help effort.  It's
a place where good men and women (some more mature than others) are pressing
forward in a work that embraces a world community.  Ask your questions.  Be
specific.  And know that a penguin is surely to be a greater part of your
future than you ever dared imagine.

Douglas Ort
[EMAIL PROTECTED]