(the overall "tone" of this message is to convey the fact that not everyone
thinks Windows is necessarily user friendly - it's not meant to be rude)

> I'm evaluating Linux as an alternative to Windows NT in a large organization
> (more than one million seats), but so far I am completely unconvinced that
> this OS has any chance of upsetting the market equation.  Users won't use it
> because it takes a geek to implement the most minor user interface change.
> Administrators (with any sense) will shy away from it for that reason and
> the FACT that they will have to sacrifice sleep to live on these list
> servers to resolve the simplest of problems.

On the contrary. When it comes to *SIMPLE* problems, Windows tend to make it
EXTREMELY difficult to fix (if you're lucky, you can get away with only 10
reboots).

> For example, a user cannot install productive software for Linux (if they
> can even find such a thing) and expect it to work without extensive work by
> the already overworked administrative staff.

That depends on the software. And doing "tar -xzvf <filenane> ; configure ;
make ; make install" does not qualify as "extensive work". Clicking around for
an hour in Windows followed by a couple of reboots does.

>  How do they add an icon for
> the program to their work environment?

Which window manger is this?

> How do they install the latest video
> driver?

They don't. They download the latest X server (which shouldn't be larger than a
meg or two).

>  My experience is that they must download several megabytes of
> files, follow poorly written

Poorly written? Hah! I can read 100 pages of Windows documentation without
learning a thing. I can read 1 page of Linux documentation and walk away more
knowledgable.

> and cryptic instructions,

Not cryptic, but different from Windows. Just because you can't click your way
through everything, it doens't mean it's more difficult. Just different.

> and then run
> XF86Setup to configure their system.

That's one solution. Or they could manually edit XF86Config, or use some
"wizard" (doesn't RedHat inlcude one?).

>  The latter step requires them to know
> every technical detail about their configuration such as the video card
> BIOS, clock settings, and maximum resolution plus the horizontal refresh
> rate of their monitor!

Ok, it would be nice if it was autodetected, but it's not a big deal.

>  I'm sorry, but NT drivers are much more
> user-friendly:  load it, reboot (sometimes) and go.

Anything that requres a reboot is NOT user friendly. Period.

> My latest expedition into the chaotic world of Linux video support was to
> install a user's machine to use the Creative Labs Graphics Blaster RivaTNT.
> I downloaded and installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 (no mean task).  This update
> allowed XF86Setup to recognize the full capabilities of the graphics
> adapter, but disabled (or hid) the user's normal window manager (AfterStep).

~/.xinitrc is execute when X startx. You have to start the window manger from
there.

But it *is* a mystery to me how installing XF86 3.3.3.1 will screw *that* up.

> In contrast, my NT users can download and install graphic driver updates
> without administrator intervention. They are productive within five minutes
> of the update.

Without adminstrator intervention? AFAIK you have to have admin privileges on
an NT box to be able to install new drivers (anything else would be a disaster).

(and as for being "productive" in an NT environment is IMO a contradiction in
terms - but that applies to *me*, and obviously not to you any many other
Windows users).

> Anybody have some advice on how to get a new X driver running?

Well, what exactly is the problem? Aside from the wrong window manager starnig
that is (which can be fixed as stated above).

> How do we get the windows manager to recognize (with an icon) newly
> installed software?

Ugh. Not possible in most situations. If you tar -xzvf some file, how's the
window manager gonna know to add an icon for it?

You'll have to add icons yourself (unless the application(s) in question is
aware of the window manager, in which case it might be automatic). Personally I
don't know much about icons since I never use them - bash is much more
convenient :)

/ Peter Schuller

man(1) - man's best friend

- ---
PGP userID: 0x5584BD98 or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://hem.passagen.se/petersch
Help create a free Java based operating system - www.jos.org.