Guys.... guys..... think mellow!!!!!

My mouse supports both protocols. I tried the IRQ 12 because I have tried
EVERYTHING that everyone has asked me to try, as well as everything the man
pages, info pages, howtos, etc, led me to belive or ideas they sparked. I'd never
be able to itemize the things I've done to try and fix this problem. And
inevitably it's probably something silly. But regardless it's obvious that I've
exhausted the resources of this group on this issue so I am on the "try anything"
phase.

As far as "dear learned friend" goes. Richard you know damned well I am a newbie.
You (as well as several others) have been helping me since mid Dec. I had this
same problem then but decided I didn't need a GUI (at the time) so I quit working
on it.

Unless there is some hidden protocol for a Microsoft Basic Mouse, something is
wrong. Unfortunately the chain of events from pointer to stdout is still vague to
me. So I can't troubleshoot this myself. I've got three huge three-ring binders
of stuff I printed out at work that covers Linux OS, PC hardware (Lawson
recommended I do this) and UNIX. And still I can't find the problem. The only
reason I haven't pulled out a continuity meter is because it worked with Windows
on the same box.

Ok. Thanks to everyone for the help.

John