> I presume you did not know that flat ribbon cable has one wire tinted
> red, that is pin 1, it is all to easy to connect that sort of cable
> the wrong way.

I should have.... but it's been too long since I've played with guts.... :}

> > I'm now trying to install StarOffice. When I click on setup nothing happens. The
>last
> > thing I di was to decline when it asked if I wanted it to set up /root/soffice51. I
> > forget why i had to do that. But I didn't proceed with the install. I also cp'd the
> > install files to my dir and tried running the install script from there. But still
> > nothing. So I am assuming it isn't in the /dev/cdrom file.
>
> Ah!,  again the click that does not work.
> May i suggest going to a normal console, hit ctrl-alt F1 or F2 etc.

Says it can't open X. I wish this would work.

> The way you descrive /dev/cdrom i presume the source is on cd, you
> are running redhat so the chances are the source archive is in rpm
> format, altho' i am presuming that.

Nah. It's just a generic Linux file.

> If the file is in tar.gz form do;

Actually it's a script. A piston icon.

> Normally there will be several files to read,
> INSTALL
> README

I've got install.pdf open on my Mac. So it's there all the time.

> and possablly a file called ./configure

./setup but again it doesn't work in term mode.I guess it needs to talk to X.

> It could of course be a zip file, if so use the unzip program to
> unpack it.

There is an install.zip but there's nothing executable in there.

> Now not having star office all the above are just pointers and it
> could well be that none of the options is valid.

Thanks though.

> I am sure someone else who has star office will help you more.

Actually I don't think it's Star Office. I can't open anything from the CDROM (txt,
pdf,
anything). But other CDROMs work fine.

I have installed off this CD several times. And I was well on my way to installing on
this
box with this CD. But I stopped it mid-swing. Somehow it tainted the image or
something.

Thanks again.

John