> Says it can't open X. I wish this would work.

the install must be run from a xterm. you even don't need to login as
root.

> > The way you descrive /dev/cdrom i presume the source is on cd, you
> > are running redhat so the chances are the source archive is in rpm
> > format, altho' i am presuming that.
>
> Nah. It's just a generic Linux file.
> Actually it's a script. A piston icon.

what ? a generic Linux file, did not know that.....
If I understand well, it is a script with a whee as icon.
so you need to type ./SETUP or ./INSTALL (check the case)
a beautiful screen should appear and ask you a media key or a registered
ID.

> ./setup but again it doesn't work in term mode.I guess it needs to talk to X.

see above, that's it !!!

> There is an install.zip but there's nothing executable in there.

don't care of it, it will be decompressed by the setup script. then the
beautiful screen appears.

Charlie