I think this is an easy one ...

I've got the Linux box (RH 6) in the corner ticking away quite happily,
it's set up with a modem and does dns, ip masquerading, proxy serving and
sendmail (8.9.3-10) for quite a few other machines on the network.

It connects to the Internet if requested to by one of the other machines
(dialmon), and several times a day to send and retrieve mail.

The only slight niggle is that when you send a mail to it, if it isn't
connected to the Internet there is quite a long timeout before sendmail
accepts the mail. I assume this is because it can not resolve the address.
After the timeout the mail is accepted and queued. When the server next
dials up the mail is sent successfully. If a mail is sent to sendmail
while the server is on line it is accepted within a few seconds.

Is there any way of configuring sendmail so that it accepts the mails from
the clients quickly, and sorts things out later? I've tried a few things
but have to admit to not fully understanding sendmail.cf!

I'm trying to avoid using diald to dial up whenever an e mail is sent, but
would rather queue all the messages and send them at once.

Thanks,

Dan.